Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-1999, 08:03 PM   #1
KHN
Member.

Default Site Redoned Part II

Qeusty and Steve S,

I have done what you said which is reducing the categories into subtopics but I decide to keep the "free 4 webmasters" as it is. I also change the look by reducing graphics and adding a background and buttons.

The site is not yet done but would you both check it out again. If you want to see an example how the topics break up into subtopics click on "Business" which is done.
Again please let me know what I could do to make the site better.

http://members.tripod.com/~allfreestuff/freestuff.html
KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-1999, 04:56 PM   #2
Questy

KHN,

The "front door" is looking pretty good. As I navigate the site, the navigation falls apart. Now that you're getting the front door smoothed out, you need to start working on making sure your navigation is consistant through out the site.

I checked out the business section as you mentioned. If you get every section on the site up to this level you'll be on your way to a pretty nice site.

Hang in there, it's coming along pretty well. I'll follow up more later....

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 05-03-99).]
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-1999, 07:51 PM   #3
KHN
Member.

Questy,

Do you think my site takes to long to load?
Old 05-04-1999, 06:38 AM   #4
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hi KHN,

Nice work. Looks much better. Yes, your home page is a slow loader since it has over 50 elements and I'm dialing in at 56K.

We need to figure out a way to eliminate some graphics from your home page so it loads faster.

Take some of the links in the Free 4 Webmasters section and combine them into a single Category. Then after the click present the visitor with a page to branch to each link. For example, a category called Scripts on your home page could contain counters, guestbook, and message boards as an example. The other benifit of this procedure is an increase in your page views http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
www.very-cool-stuff.com
Your Administrator

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-1999, 12:16 PM   #5
KHN
Member.

How long does a good average loading website takes? Also how much MB would you reconmend to be on a page? I currently have 22K on the front page.

How long do you think my site load at 56K? When I check with a site analyzer at LinkExchange it said 13 seconds and Site Garage it said 24 seconds. Which one is accurate?

[This message has been edited by KHN (edited 05-04-99).]
Old 05-05-1999, 06:57 PM   #6
Questy

RE: How long does a good average loading website takes?
The goal should be 30 seconds or less, never more than a minute.

RE:Also how much MB would you recommend to be on a page?
My goal is max out around 50K, never more than a 100k.

RE: When I check with a site analyzer at LinkExchange it said 13 seconds and Site Garage it said 24 seconds. Which one is accurate?

If they are tracking actual load time, they both may be accurate, the difference being traffic and server speed. The traffic is not only on your website, but at the sites you're pulling your banner info from. It appears to me that one of your banners is dragging down your loading. While your site loads, it keeps calling to IP 209.249.169.51, that equates to www.mediaplex.com, which is "feeding" one of your banner ads. As their traffic increases, or changes, that will have an impact on your site.

Hope this helps,
Questy
Old 05-06-1999, 08:50 AM   #7
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

RE: Site load time

IMHO those numbers that Garage and LinkExchange are flawed. If you promise not to tell anyone here is the method I often use.

I dial in at 56K and make sure it is a "clean" average speed connection using my own site and Yahoo as an informal benchmark. Next, on my system I use both N and IE. N does not have any cookies so using N I flush the disk cache and memory cache. Then I navigate to the site and keep my tired old eyes on the number of elements in the status bar and the clock to see how long the page takes to load for a first time visitor. Then a refresh to see the speed again for a return visitor. There are other factors in this equation like "Q" mentioned but this works.

Also, parts of this site and many other sites use "CGI" to generate the .html pages which take longer to load but thats another topic for another thread http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
www.very-cool-stuff.com
Your Administrator

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-1999, 07:40 PM   #8
KHN
Member.

I just want to know if you could reduce loading time by putting large amount of files from one directory into smaller subdirectory.

I have try this and it seam to load faster, I just want to know your experieces on this.

Old 05-20-1999, 03:25 PM   #9
Questy

KHN

RE: I just want to know if you could reduce loading time by putting large amount of files from one directory into smaller subdirectory.

The same files on the same server in different directories should have no effect on download time. The time is takes to download a file is directly proportional to it's size. Some aspects of the operation of the server it's sitting on could have an impact on download, but if the server itself is working properly these differences should be almost undetectable.

Hope this helps,
Questy

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 05-20-99).]