Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-1999, 08:13 PM   #1
Ericy

Default Top 50 sites lists!! Are they worth getting listed on.

What are some of the most high traffic top50 site lists?? And I was wondering if it's worth it to spend your time to get listed. Also I have seen that some sites got listed on the top of a lot of top50 lists. Are they cheating?? And if so how are they doing it??
Ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-1999, 06:25 PM   #2
ShaneD

Hi Ericy,
On my Top 50 list the sites that rank on them also get the most hits from my site. I don't see any of them cheating if I do I remove them from the list. Unfortunatly hackers can find a way to do most anything.
Shane

------------------
If You have Fun You will makes lots of money

ShaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-1999, 07:28 PM   #3
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hi Ericy,

Naturally I agree with my fellow Hyperseeker Shane aka Dr. Hits http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

At first blush this seems like a simple question but it's not. Let's start with the underlying principal. Visitors see tons of stuff on completed sites. Links upon links and pages and pages. Any time you "highlight" something for your visitor it gets more trafic. It could be the latest screensaver in my news section, top sellers in geek-soft, news, top 10, top50, top hits, what's cool, picks, etc. This is human nature since all of us can only digest so much information we sometimes need help making a selection when we start are journey.

You should do what is eithical to obtain a link in what I call "highlights" Some webmasters sell this, others review and place, others let the visitors vote, others let the server logs "speak" There are ethical questions as well but that's a bit beyond this post.

If you are building a site you should also do this when the "number of choices" warrants it. This provides a great service to your visitors and guarantees they will be back. You also have to "prove" to your visitors that you care about there experience with well founded recomendations in these highligh areas.

Cheaters get "nuked" and like Shane, Iv'e had my share. In other "highlight" areas I have absolute control and take this issue very very seriously.

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
www.very-cool-stuff.com
Your Administrator

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-1999, 09:46 PM   #4
Ericy

Hello

I found this site #1 Freebies at http://www.phreeryder.com/freestuff.html to be on top of every top 50 25 or whatever. Now I know that they must have cheated.
Ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-1999, 04:24 AM   #5
Questy

Ericy,

In your question, "What are some of the most high traffic top50 site lists??",

I'm assuming you mean top50 site lists like the one on Shane's list, or perhaps on free counters like the world1000.

The first question, "if it's worth it to spend your time to get listed. ",

if you are "playing the game fairly" there's not much you do to get listed other than you would do normally, you build a good site, list with one of these places, and if people like your site, they'll send their friends.

"I have seen that some sites got listed on the top of a lot of top50 lists. Are they cheating??"

If they are cheating, they're just cheating themselves, if you want a good handle on your traffic, monitor your own stats.

------------------
Regards,
Questy

The small business and technology guru,
It's not just a job, it's an addiction!
www.computerguru.net

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote