Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2000, 07:18 AM   #1
gallery

Cool Getting visitors from search engines

Hi,

Maybe this is not the right place to speak about this issue but as getting visitors is directly linked to making money I do it :-)
Hey Steve move it to Webmaster Issues if you want.

I've already seen posts in this BB about search engines and if it was really worth spending time on maximizing sites positions.

Some say that it is not worth because one day you can be at the top and the day after you can be removed from the database. Frustating isn't it ? I know.

When I visit other websites I often see that they do not get at all visitors from search engines or just a few. This is an error.

I've spent months to be well ranked in search engines and I continue day after day.

As a proof, here are my web site ( funny pictures gallery at www.pics4fun.com ) search positions for the keyword 'funny pictures' (my main keyword) at some search engines :

Magellan magellan.excite.com 7
Yahoo www.yahoo.com 1 ***
Altavista www.altavista.com 2 ***
Google www.google.com 4
DirectHit www.directhit.com 1 ***
Hotbot www.hotbot.com 1
AolSearch search.aol.com 8
Excite www.excite.com 16
AllTheWeb www.alltheweb.com 1
Mamma www.mamma.com 1
DogPileCatalog www.dogpile.com 2
DogPileOpenDir opendir.dogpile.com 1
Infoseek infoseek.go.com 16
Metacrawler www.metacrawler.com 1
Inference Find www.infind.com 1
WhatUSeek www.whatuseek.com 1
RealNames www.realnames.com 1 ***
SearchALot www.searchalot.com 1
SavvySearch www.savvysearch.com 1
IcqSearch search.icq.com 8
SnapLiveDir www.snap.com 2

Not too bad isn't ?
*** means that you should concentrate on these search engines (yahoo is a directory)
These search engines bring me daily between 3000-4000 visitors.

The number of visitors you'll get depends on your keywords : so choose good keywords (I mean popular keywords)

I'm sure you'll have questions and I'll be happy to help.

Speak to you soon

------------------
www.pics4fun.com : a huge collection of funny pictures, cartoons and comics.
webmaster@pics4fun.com
www.watchmail.com : the new FREE web based e-mail (It is fast, reliable and you get 6 Megs of space)
gallery@watchmail.com
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2000, 09:10 AM   #2
gbrott

Cool

I have had great success with goto . Yes you have to pay, but there are tons of search terms that no one bids on. Use their "what are people searching for" engine and pick things that are somehow related to your site. For example - funny pictures could also be listed under "animal pictures", "cartoon pictures", "wierd pictures" " "funny stuff" and so on. It's great way to start traffic to your site - I have 100+ listings and will be soon adding 100+ more. They do have deals with Netscape, so about 1/6 of the time when someone click the search button on netscape they use goto.
gbrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2000, 10:39 AM   #3
spaceneedle

Cool

Gallery,

Interesting post... I wonder, since you have had such good results, would you share a tip or technique or two?

i.e... do you use submission software...
How may keywords do you put in your tags. etc...
spaceneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2000, 01:40 PM   #4
gallery

Cool

To gbrott,

Yes I know goto and I've been working with them for months now. I haven't spoken about them because the only thing you need to do to have a good ranking is to pay.

Have also a look at rocketlinks.com

To spaceneedle :

Here are some tips that work :

1) if your entry page contains frames, use a doorway page that you will optimize for search engine. This doorway page links of course to your entry page. The doorway page is the only one that is submitted.
I could say that even in any case use a doorway page.

2) meta tags are ok, just use a few keywords and concentrate on your main keywords first.
You can create other doorway pages for other keywords afterwards.

If your main keyword is 'free stuff' then use as meta tags free stuff,another keyword,Free Stuff,another keyword,FREE STUFF

3) the most important part of the doorway page are the first lines of TEXT (not the meta tags)
Better to put text between HEADINGS like H1 or H2 headings tags. Repeat you main keyword in each line of text.

4) create a second doorway page hosted on a free server (might be the same as the one on your server). Submitting a site that links to yours can give good results too.

5) set up multiple links from your doorway page to you entry page.

6) exchange the most reciprocal links as possible with other website to increase your popularity.

------------------
webmaster@pics4fun.com
www.watchmail.com : the new FREE web based e-mail (It is fast, reliable and you get 6 Megs of space)
gallery@watchmail.com
Old 01-21-2000, 12:59 AM   #5
nicbos

Cool

Hi Gallery,

may you post here the address of a door page of yours, so we may see the code you use?

Thanks for your great tips.

Nic

P.S. How many time You consider to spend working about ranking?

------------------
http://www.commerce-2000.com
http://www.netline96.it

nicbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2000, 12:48 AM   #6
gallery

Cool

Here is an example of a doorway page I created recently :
http://home2.freegates.be/gallery/funnycartoons.htm

I've just submitted it to the major search engines. It should do well I guess.

By the way, I do not use any software because they are useless. Why ?
Because just a few search engines are important so you do not need to submit to 400 search engines. (400 search engines means a lot of FFA pages)

The most important search engines, where you SHOULD have good ranking :

1) yahoo -> most visited site on the web
2) Altavista -> also highly visited
3) Direchit -> if you get a good ranking at this one you'll also get the same ranking at lycos and hobot !! Why ? because they use the direchit technology.
4) realnames : used on more and more by search engines like altavista, MSN ... it costs you $ 100 for 1 year to be listed there.

If you have a good ranking at these search engines you'll immediately get a good visibility at all the Meta Search engines like Mamma, Dogpile, Askjeeves, Metacrawler ...

------------------
webmaster@pics4fun.com
gallery@watchmail.com
Old 02-09-2000, 09:16 AM   #7
Darkrider

Question

To: Gallery..
I've been working steadily to improve my ranking..no..just showing up! Question..if I add a doorway..to a site that is finally just showing up on the big ones..would that ***** up the current listing? When is it considered spamming?
Is it ok to submit often..say every couple a weeks? (I get conflicting msgs on this point.
Thank you!
The Dark Zoo Museum Of The Unknown http://www.darkride.com

------------------
Doug Higley
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2000, 09:18 AM   #8
Darkrider

Angry

What's with the stars? I didn't use a bad word!
Sure looks like I did!
Hmmmmm.

------------------
Doug Higley
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2000, 12:43 AM   #9
gallery

Cool

Hi Darkrider,

Before thinking of doorway pages, you must improve your current entry page.
Your keywords are in the meta tags.
I suggest you take the best ones and you write a few lines of text (including your best keywords : 2 or 3 max) at the top of the page.
Put your text between <h2> tags
You can even put your best keyword between <h1> tags.
The first lines of text the search engine will parse when spidering your site are by far the most important thing for your ranking.

How often do I submit ? Just when I see that my ranking has decreased (then I try to see why) or when my site has been removed from the index (not very often the case)

Hope this helps

------------------
webmaster@pics4fun.com
gallery@watchmail.com
Old 02-10-2000, 03:54 AM   #10
petezippy

Cool

Very interesting discussion but I would like to know, do you just post your main site page to all of the search engines or do you post each individual page? Are there advantages/disadvantages to doing so?

------------------
Peter

The Ultimate DeCSS Resource Site
http://www.pzcommunications.com/decss/main.htm
petezippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2000, 03:58 AM   #11
petezippy

Cool

gbrott - you mentioned that goto had an engine "what people are searching for". Where can I find that?

------------------
Peter

The Ultimate DeCSS Resource Site
http://www.pzcommunications.com/decss/main.htm
petezippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2000, 04:30 AM   #12
gallery

Cool

Hi Petezippy,

I only post my site entry page.
Posting all of your site pages is considered as spamming the engine.

As far as goto is concerned, they are currently working on a search term relevancy policy.
They will remove all search terms that are not directly related to your site.
For example if you have a web site about funny pictures and some of them being about bill clinton, they'll accept 'funny pictures' but not 'clinton'. In the past, this was allowed.

Here is my list of the best engines for your site to be :

Yahoo, Altavista, AOLsearch, Open Directory, Realnames and DirectHit.

------------------
webmaster@pics4fun.com
gallery@watchmail.com
Old 02-10-2000, 06:55 AM   #13
torifan

Cool

here is the url for the Goto keyword tool.
http://inventory.go2.com/inventory/S...ggestion.jhtml

I've found this to be one of the most useful of all webmaster tools, whether using goto or not.

Gallery, thanks for all the se tips. Not to drive traffic away from here, but there is an excellent se forum at http://searchengineforums.com/bin/Ultimate.cgi.

Gallery, about what % of your se traffic do you get from realnames? I'm wondering if it's worth the $100.
torifan is offline   Reply With Quote