Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2000, 02:57 AM   #1
serrow

Question funky burst stats???

anyone else noticing only about 1/5 the correct stats for the 29th?

serrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 04:27 AM   #2
Pete
Member.

Unhappy

Yeah i got 1300 views for yesterday instead of about 10 000... http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/frown.gif

Pierre
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2000, 01:36 AM   #3
gmiller

Cool

I noticed that, too--but then I saw the notice on the same page indicating that they were unable to serve banner ads for a while due to a technical problem at another company (GTE Internetworking, I think, but I don't recall).
gmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2000, 07:03 AM   #4
mellow

Cool

The stats is often some wierd early at the day when they "are importing it" or something. I can look at my stats early and it may say ~ 2000 pageviews and then 2-3h later it's the right numbers (~15k).

mellow
FunFiles - http://www.funfiles.net
mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2000, 08:41 AM   #5
Michael Epperson

Cool

Well, my site is small potatoes in comparison to you guys--(~1-2K views per day), but I've always experienced about a 60% discrepancy between Burst "total page views" and those reported by my logfile.

I've submitted this question to the Burst forum, but the moderator so far has refused to post it (I've tried 4 times) which is weird because I've read other threads on the subject. I've read their FAQ: No, I'm not counting "hits," yes, I'm using rich media code on every page (except the doorway), etc.

I'm trying to figure out why page views, with rich media, cache-busting ad code, would not CONSISTENTLY generate ad impressions (barring, of course, Burst server outages like the one on Sunday night, etc.) I'm aware of the "usual reasons"--AOL caching and visitors with graphics disabled, etc; since I run a movie prop replica site, it is highly unlikely that people would visit with graphics disabled (the replica photos are a big part of the draw.) And as for AOL caching, I was under the impression that the rich media code defeated that. I've got Burst rich-media ad code on every page (except the doorway, and the stats below don't include doorway views).

Here are the variances I've been getting (the Burst stats are the "Total Page Views" [impressions] as listed on the Member page. The server stats are total page views, not hits):

BURST MY SERVER VARIANCE
January 29: 798 1352 60% (.5902)
January 30: 885 1499 60% (.5903)
February 1: 952 1642 58% (.5797)
February 2: 1447 2267 64% (.6382)
February 3: 1169 1819 64% (.6426)

Any ideas on the reason for the consistent ~60% discrepancy? Could it just be periodic Burst ad server latency? I notice that every once in awhile, the ads are really slow-loading, or don't load at all...

Thanks very much,

Michael www.LightsaberReplicas.com
Michael Epperson is offline   Reply With Quote