Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2000, 02:04 PM   #1
KHN
Member.

Cool

www.pcdataonline.com

------------------
KHN
www.thefreeguide.com - Free Stuff and Webmaster Resources!!
www.totalclipart.com - Your #1 Source to Free Clip Art Sites!!

KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2000, 02:09 PM   #2
KidKilowatt

Cool

Arg!!! I knew it was Pcdata something... thanks !!
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2000, 03:32 PM   #3
Edwin

Exclamation

Actually, here's something they don't advertise... as long as you choose "Top Web Sites" and not "Top Web Properties" and specify keywords in their search engine, you can dig down into several thousand of the top sites. For example, by searching on "email" you'll see that emailaddresses.com is at 4,964

On the other hand, I had a long argument that I finally gave up with their customer service representative, who claimed that their ridiculously low figure for number of unique visitors to my site (90,000) was *more* accurate than the number I got by crunching nearly 1GB of log files over several hours using a very sophisticated stats analysis package! He was very arrogant about their "methodology" and said that they often get much more accurate results than can be obtained from log files.

This was so ridiculous that I offered to let him FTP my log file across and crunch it himself. He just repeated his claim that their methodology (which, if you read the blurb on the site carefully, consists of tracking the surfing habits of 38,000 people) was more accurate than my stats.

At that point, I gave up. I know my stats are right, since I have spent enough time and money to be confident that they are correct. And PCDataOnline does not show any signs of wanting to listen to site owners. Just for the record, my unique visitors for December were 187,000 and a bit, which is more than double what their system picked up.

As those who hang around these forums know I am rarely negative about a company, but after this episode I am certainly negative about this one!

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/

Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2000, 04:24 PM   #4
profallfree

Cool

Hi Edwin-

I share your pain - many of those traffic monitoring web services are not as accurate as they claim -> because they only monitor a very small cross section of the web, if this cross section is not representative their numbers will be off.

I typically look at both pcdataonline and nielsen net ratings as well as anything else I can dig up on a site before making an outside "best guess" at its traffic. Normally the most accurate number should be the actual webmasters, when compared to these services.

re's
John
profallfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2000, 04:42 PM   #5
singloon

GeekGuide

Cool

You can also try these sites that rank sites by traffic,
http://www.100hot.com http://www.top100.com.au http://www.hitbox.com

------------------
Eva2000.com
ThePrequels.net
ThePrequels.net's Forums

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 12:45 AM   #6
KidKilowatt

Cool The top 500 sites on the net.

Does anyone know the website that keeps track of what sites are the most visited on the internet?? I can't remember the url.

Thanks
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 11:16 AM   #7
Aaron Dragushan

Cool

Regarding PCdata,

I know of one site which receives about 17,000 uniques/day, which was ranked several hundred places under a site that received 4-5,000 uniques/day.

So yes, they're off.

I do find them useful for an overall picture of things though. For example, by looking at the reach of various sites, and comparing back several months, I found that almost all of the big portals are falling, and fun/sweepstakes/give-away sites are rising. As a general trend, that's of interest to me...

- Aaron
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 04:45 PM   #8
Donraja

Cool

PCData is only a VERY rough guage

In my case they were Completely inacurate reporting 437 000 unique visitors while DoubleClick and Hitbox.com reported 2.2 million unique.
Donraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2000, 02:31 PM   #9
Questy

Lightbulb

Another list should you care to believe them: http://www.alexaresearch.com/top/top100k_rolled.cfm
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2000, 02:17 AM   #10
gmiller

Cool

There are a number of companies out there that provide ratings for web sites, including Nielson (that's right, the company that provides the best-known TV ratings)... The most widely respected at this point seems to be Media Metrix (http://www.mediametrix.com/)

Frankly, I don't pay much attention to ratings systems.
gmiller is offline   Reply With Quote