Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-1999, 11:47 PM   #1
TheCreditSource

Default Arial Font

I use the arial font for my site but apparently not everyone sees it as arial. On a friend's computer my site shows only small New Times Roman Font. They do have the arial font installed in their system and have Netscape 4.5 setup properly (font viewing). Any ideas? And is this such a common problem that I need to make a regular version of my site available since the NTR text that would be displayed by default is very small?

www.TheCreditSource.com

[This message has been edited by TheCreditSource (edited 04-09-99).]
TheCreditSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-1999, 01:05 AM   #2
DianeV

This is a guess.

(1) The problem seems to be that font faces need to be specified within one set of quotation marks. You have:
font face="Tahoma", "Arial", "New Times Roman"
instead of
font face="Tahoma, arial, Times New Roman"

The quotation marks after Tahoma ends the font face tag, so the browser reads this as: font face="Tahoma". This causes the browser to look for "Tahoma" ... if it doesn't find it, it skips to the default font (which happens to look like Times).

(2) Secondly, I believe the Times font is called "Times New Roman," not New Times Roman ... since it would not find "New Times Roman", my guess is it's displaying the default browser font (again, it looks like Times).

(3) Lastly, if your friend is using a Mac, I believe fonts are displayed smaller on Macs. This is one of the real joys of website design (NOT) ... different displays in different browsers and OS platforms. Fun, eh?

As a comment, it is best to use fonts that everyone has or, where you want to use something less common, to specify common alternative fonts. I note that you've chosen two sans-serif fonts (Arial and Tahoma) and a serif font (Times). Also, Tahoma is much larger than arial. If you want arial-type fonts, it would be best to use something like:

font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif".

This covers Win95 (arial) and Mac (helvetica) fonts. If the browser doesn't find arial or helvetica, the "sans-serif" specification will cause it to display a sans-serif font, though I don't know which.

P.S. I don't know how many pages you have, but if you upgrade to PageMill 3.0, you can search and replace the fonts across your entire site in one fell swoop.
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-1999, 07:33 PM   #3
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Great explanation DianeV http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Just a minor little obsession with me since I taught typography and wrote about it ad nausieum so please humor me OK?

The best font tag to use is:

font face="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif".

Verdana is a typeface that was exspressly created for the Web Screen/Monitor by Monotype for MS. It is easier to read at all sizes and is the default on new machines of either flavor. It is also widely distributed and I even have both flavors posted here for download. It looks "heavier" in IE when comapred to Netscape. This obsessions gets tricky with scripts as you sometimes have to edit the code and there are places on this site that I may have missed.

This BB is set to Verdana, Arial. Arial and Helvetica were designed for the printer and not the screen so there hinting nee clarity leaves a bit to be desired. MS sans-serif is an oldie but goodie that was desgined for the screen but only at certain point sizes and specific screen resolutions.

Have I bored you? http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
www.very-cool-stuff.com
Your Administrator

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-1999, 10:01 PM   #4
DianeV

Not a chance, sir! I always love it when someone who really knows his/her stuff just explains it to me!

Since I don't have typography training, I have to go by "feel". (Or I'm trying to squish type into a space, and so use Arial instead of Verdana.)

So you are saying that most Macs also have Verdana? Or they also have it now? I thought they had only Helvetica, and so I include it (or "sans-serif", whatever that might be).

Thanks again for the enlightened info!
Old 04-11-1999, 10:18 AM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

DianeV,

<So you are saying that most Macs also have Verdana?>

All New Macs have Verdana already installed. I believe it started with the G3 and cute IMac which is sitting next to me.

Other/older Macs have Helvetica. I would also say that Mac folks are a bit more type savy than Windows users so many others have installed Verdana.

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
www.very-cool-stuff.com
Your Administrator

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-1999, 10:18 AM   #6
TheCreditSource

Thanks guys. I feel really stupid. I was not aware that I had the Tohoma font installed in my system so I thought I was viewing my site in Arial font.

I discovered this when I changed the tags so that they read arial and times new roman. I have since replaced my tags with: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Times New Roman.

It seems to be working although I am sure that more errors will be found.

Thanks again.

www.TheCreditSource.com
TheCreditSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-1999, 10:30 PM   #7
DianeV

Creditsource, we've all been there, I'm sure.

The big issue is to enclose all the font faces in one set of quotes, not individually.