Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2001, 05:42 PM   #1
Outlaw

Question A lot of dedicated servers!

Since I am opening a ad network soon, I will need atleast 3 redundant dedicated servers... I am looking at not paying more than 250/month for each and each must have 256 mb ram (512 preferable), 20 gig hd, linux red hat (good server admin, like plesk) and 150 gig bandwidth each, cheap extra bandwidth. Anyone know of a place that can offer this? I know if you lease servers in bulk you get them cheaper, and so far I have gotten a good 150 million publisher impressions signed up and I am tryign to limit my script and the server to just around 50 million impressions/month each.

Also anyone here who has a ad network I have a question do you place the advertisers images on your server or theres, and if on your server do you charge the advertiser for the bandwidth? Also does anyone have a good contract from ad rep to advertiser? My lawyer is making me one, but I want to go over it with him and atleast have a good example.

Well please let me know if you know of dedicated host like that or if you can answer my questions about advertising...

(Steve, Chet, Czar, Robert?)

------------------
- AI Corp.
www.animeinstinct.com
www.animetopsites.com
www.dbzhost.com
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 07:03 PM   #2
RK

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw:
I am looking at not paying more than 250/month for each and each must have 256 mb ram (512 preferable), 20 gig hd, linux red hat (good server admin, like plesk) and 150 gig bandwidth each, cheap extra bandwidth.
Did you make a typo at the $250/month section or at the 150 GB transfer part?

You will not find a host that will give you a server like the one you want and 150 GB bandwidth based on actual transfer AND control panel like Plesk for only $250 a month, that is just unrealistic.

We can give you a P III 866 Mhz, 256 RAM, 30 GB IBM EIDE server with 200 GB transfer for $600 per month and $1.5 per GB extra transfer with no setup fee.

------------------
http://www.energyhosting.com
Excellent price, reliability, flexibility, speed, support and features.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 07:08 PM   #3
Outlaw

Exclamation

Actually there are many places... My current host gives me 256 mb ram, cobalt raq 3, 10 gig hd, 150 gig bandwidth, for only 99/month! No it is not rackshack btw...

------------------
- AI Corp.
www.animeinstinct.com
www.animetopsites.com
www.dbzhost.com
Old 06-26-2001, 07:09 PM   #4
zMan

Unhappy

Check out rackshack.net. They've a following offer which may suit you.

Cobalt RaQ 4i
256mb RAM
20GB Hard Drive
Web Based Interface
150GB Transfer
$128 Monthly
$279 One Time Setup Fee

Their setup fee is a killer, but their prices & bandwidth limits are pretty darn good. I am sure singloon http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif and other members will tell you about more possible options.

Also check out WebHostingTalk.com, you'll find lots of info there and help.

Take care & good luck.

------------------
zMan
zMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 07:12 PM   #5
Outlaw

Unhappy

Quote:
We can give you a P III 866 Mhz, 256 RAM, 30 GB IBM EIDE server with 200 GB transfer for $600 per month and $1.5 per GB extra transfer with no setup fee.
[/b]
Dude, if I go to your site I can get cheaper lol...

on ya site it says p3 866, 256 mb ram, 40 gig hd, unlimited ip's...

------------------
- AI Corp.
www.animeinstinct.com
www.animetopsites.com
www.dbzhost.com
Old 06-26-2001, 07:16 PM   #6
Outlaw

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw:

on ya site it says p3 866, 256 mb ram, 40 gig hd, 200 gig transfer, unlimited ip's...

------------------
- AI Corp.
www.animeinstinct.com
www.animetopsites.com
www.dbzhost.com
Old 06-26-2001, 08:03 PM   #7
RK

Unhappy

"My current host gives me 256 mb ram, cobalt raq 3, 10 gig hd, 150 gig bandwidth, for only 99/month"

Does a RaQ support Plesk? No
I also do not think that a RaQ runs RedHat Linux.

It seems to me that you were asking about a dedicated server (not a RaQ) in your post. Furthermore your host is probably loosing money on your account if you are really using 150 GB for only $99, we do not like loosing money.

I gave you a price of $1.5 per GB for extra transfer, our site states $1.8, there is a difference.

Cheap hosting is pointless, your host has fixed costs for the service they offer you, if they do not make enough money from YOU they do not have enough money to make an efficient network.

If you wish to discus this further, please contact me privately.

Thank You

------------------
http://www.energyhosting.com
Excellent price, reliability, flexibility, speed, support and features.
Old 06-26-2001, 10:04 PM   #8
notibrian

Unhappy

you might consider efreeserver.com, i dont have any experience with them, but they do offer large amount of bandwidth with a reasonable price. e.g. $299/Dell server/P3 1GHZ/256RAM/200GB bandwidth or you may consider colocate from them.

just my 2 cents http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 10:07 PM   #9
Outlaw

Smile

Yea, I just spent the last hour + looking through old post on geekvillage for dedicated host and I cam across efreeserver... I must say I was very pleased and satisfied... However I still have to talk with my current hosting company and see what they can offer me.

------------------
- AI Corp.
www.animeinstinct.com
www.animetopsites.com
www.dbzhost.com
Old 06-26-2001, 11:08 PM   #10
Tox
Member.

Unhappy

I would NOT recommend running an ad server on a Raq...they are simply too unreliable to serve such an important thing. I would instead go to a host similar to maxim.net as you can expect very good uptime and they even call you (and I'm Denmark) to make sure you aren't messing with your server if it has been down for a longer period. Very profesional service.

------------------
GAMPort
Your Game Search Engine
Tox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 01:41 AM   #11
BlazeBox
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

Also don't forget looking very closely to the NOC your new host will be situated in. You can have hundreds of redundant servers, but when the connectivity to those is bad (like VDI bad) that's no use, since people simply can't reach your server http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Really, if you want quality hosting, you'll have to pay a quality price, such as hosting direct with Verio or Rackspace, that's quality but costs a buck. Or, when you're really professional, host with UUnet directly (it'll cost you an arm and a leg but you won't be down). Don't look at the price, look at the quality. The two hardly go together in the web hosting world after all ...
BlazeBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 06:34 AM   #12
RK

Unhappy

Efreeservers.com is a pretty good choice for your needs, but do you really want to have a P III 866 in a year and half from now? (you have to sign a 20 month contact with EFS).
Old 06-27-2001, 11:05 PM   #13
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Their colocation offer is not too bad, from what I hear it's 400 giga-bytes per account and not server...
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote