Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Technical Questions about geek/talk
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
mofikiorndorff

Default Signature requirements?

I am new to the forums and don't mean to sound as though the signature is all I'm here for but when do you get one? I will be a great resource for SEO and website reviews I believe although I like to support the forums who allow signatures more than the ones that don't. (for obvious reasons)

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Hi mofikiorndorff and welcome to Geek/Talk.

We were hit very badly by some organised forum spamming groups (mainly out of India) a few months ago and made the decision to drop support for sigs for anyone other than our voluntary Team/Geek admin members. The final straw was when spammers started dropping links in a thread announcing the death of one of our most beloved members.

These groups were contributing nothing of value to the forum, were draining the site's Google PR and scared many of our most illustrious advertisers and members away from the site while they were on their rampage. We're still forced to remove posts literally every day containing 'fake sigs', which shows how determined these groups are to return.

We plan to review that decision in the new year, which is when we'll roll out vBulletin 4.0 and transform the site into a more active community that isn't driven purely by the forums. Blogs, news articles and active commenting will be part of the new site and our most valued members will have plenty of opportunities to gain link attribution for content that they contribute to the community.

Until then, there are no sigs, but hopefully you'll see the value in being a member of this group, given that most of the members who remain are full-time, professional web publishers and online marketers. Those members will still know who you are based on the link that you're allowed to place within your individual profile.

I hope this helps and look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future.

Kind regards,

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
mofikiorndorff

Completely understandable. I had forums associated with a few of my earlier websites and ended up taking them down. Spammers ruin it for everyone and ultimatly get nothing from it.

Thank you for the explanation and as stated before it makes no difference to me. I just wanted to know how if the ability was there.

I enjoy the thought of being a member of this forum and thank you to everyone who has welcomed me throughout me few posts.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
atul

Default Share and learn.

Rather than just hoping for the promotion we have a lot of to learn from here. So lets enjoy sharing and learning new things.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
peicy888

I am a new member and also want to ask about the signature problem with the forum administrator, now i am fully understand them but it's do not make problem for my forum reviewing..
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
drifter73

I think spammers are a huge problem in just about every forum & blog across the internet now days. It's sad to see so many abuse the signature area so badly that it ruins the privilege for others that conduct them self according to the rules & contribute to the topics they are posting about. I hope you guys allow signatures again in the future, but I also understand why you've removed them.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
endlasuresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar View Post
Hi mofikiorndorff and welcome to Geek/Talk.

We were hit very badly by some organised forum spamming groups (mainly out of India) a few months ago and made the decision to drop support for sigs for anyone other than our voluntary Team/Geek admin members. The final straw was when spammers started dropping links in a thread announcing the death of one of our most beloved members.

well i am too from india and reading this thread i wished to join.I hate those who hate indians.
banning signatures is nota good idea instead of the loyal members.you should keep atleast some posts required and a month.This way you can avoid spammers.

Regards
Suresh
Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Hi endlasuresh,

I think you misinterpreted my post rather seriously. I don't hate Indians and never suggested the same. I just pointed out that most of the organised spamming groups that had been destroying this forum for regular members were operating out of India, which is simply a fact. As soon as these groups discovered GeekVillage, the quality of posts took a sharp dive and spam rates increased dramatically.

If they were mainly Australians, mainly Canadians or mainly Chinese, I would have mentioned that too, in the interests of letting members know about the trend. In this case, they weren't. Even today, the vast majority of spam that our moderators have to deal with comes from a few large companies from India, who bill themselves as SEO organisations. They have literally destroyed the sharing, generous culture that we used to have here and have made it impossible for us to support signatures because of the high PR and 'dofollow' status that this forum has long enjoyed.

I don't blame the Indian companies for this. I don't blame individual Indians either, and I think you'll find that many of our best and longest-standing members are themselves Indian. I blame those who are paying these groups specifically to spam on their behalf, in the interests of gathering more inbound links to keep the mighty Google happy. The SEO companies that post here contribute absolutely nothing of value to the community, waste my time, waste our other moderators' time, devalue the tone of the conversation that takes place here and, as mentioned above, even take advantage of the death of one of our most beloved members by posting spammy responses in an announcement thread about his passing. If that's not a final straw, I don't know what is. :grrr

This forum is about members sharing ideas with one another. It's not about gratuitous self-promotion and link dropping. There are plenty of other places for that to take place. The value members receive by posting is increased knowledge, hints-n-tips from very successful industry players and the formation of long-term relationships and friendships. If 90% of members disappear because we don't support signatures, that's perfectly fine. Those that remain will be here for the right reasons. This is our site; not one owned by organised spamming groups who pretend to be search engine optimisers.

The fact that I still have to defend this decision years after it was made is quite bizarre.

Again, I love people of any nation and welcome them to join the community here if they're doing so out of a genuine interest to learn and to give back to fellow geeks. Members from any nation to come here just to spam (and particularly those who are paid to do so) will not be welcome. Hopefully now it's easier to understand why. If you were tasked with moderating this forum and dealing with the amount of spam that we need to tackle, you'd be pretty keen to temper the trend, too. Doubly-so when spammers try to leverage the passing of a close friend for their own commercial gain.

Best wishes,

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
aishaarora

thanks.......nice post
Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
aaronangelle

This an informative topic. From my point of view spammers are a huge problem in just about every forum & blog across the internet in these days. It it not good. I hope It will be focused on to allow signatures again in the future.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
aaronangelle

In these days a biggest problem in just about every forum & blog across the internet. This is not good, many people use abuses in the signature area it ruins the privilege for others that conduct them self according to the rules and want to contribute the topics which are been posting. We should stop this type of bad habits.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
jackdsuza1

Good post Czar...thanks.
Closed Thread