Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Development - Programming / Coding
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Chadnick

Default How do I generate a password from filling out a form?

Hello,

I am trying to fill post a form on my website for my viewers to fill out their name and email address and then I will generate a password so they can have access to a free e-book of mine. I have a form on my website but I am not sure how to generate a password so only those viewers have access to my e-book on my website. If anyone can give me advice on how to approach this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Chadnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

You'll need to write a script (like PHP) to handle this. It's actually very easy to do this so should be easy for you to do if you can code or very cheap to hire someone to do if you can't.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
prasanthmj

It is not clear whether you can code in a serverside language like PHP. If you do, here is a sample logic:
1. make a form for signup.
(more info: How to make a web form, registration form using PHP)

2. in the form handler for the form, save the user's name, email and a generated password in a database table
To generate a password from the user's name use the md5() function and a random string. example:
PHP Code:
$password substr(md5($firstname+'randomstring-HFJHG54654'),0,8); 
The code above generates an 8 letter password.
3. email the password to the user (more info: Form to email using PHP)

4.Create a login form that validates the user's email and password combination. The login form redirects to a page where the ebook can be downloaded. (more info:
login form using PHP)
prasanthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
mofikiorndorff

If you post the form layout and how you want the password generated I can help you.

Also if you want temporary passwords generated the best way is using php and mySQL else you will have to have a list of available passwords that all work for it to look through to validate.
mofikiorndorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
merabasera

Red face hi

If you are using server side programming then use PHP it is the best.
merabasera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
Digital Design

you need specific script for that
Digital Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
a1rosess

You can create a form in Microsoft Office Word 2007 by starting with a template and adding content controls, including text boxes, date pickers, and drop-down lists. Other people can use Office Word 2007 to fill out the form on their computer. In an advanced scenario, any content controls that you add to a form can also be linked to data
Please create a password that is at least 8 alphanumeric characters in length. To better protect your account, we recommend creating a password that contains a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters (e.g. +, ?, and *)
a1rosess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
cashloan

http://www.cp-lab.com/form-filler.html visit here you will get all the information about it.
cashloan is offline   Reply With Quote