Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Development - Programming / Coding
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
charcola

Smile adding comment box to my website

It seems like every website nowadays has a place to allow their users to leave comments.

Can anyone explain to me how I can add this option to my own website?
(using easy-to-understand terms is very much appreciated)

*I have PHP and MySQL but never had any experience with them..

Thanks!!
charcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
VP-Kaumil

Are you using any type of CMS right now? You can just add a "guestbook", that may do what you're looking for!
VP-Kaumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
charcola

VP-Kaumil, thank you for your suggestion.

Actually, I wanted to create a comment + product review(w/ star rating feature) for our company's website, but accidentally have found just what I was looking for thanks to guys at Intel. The tools I found allow me to add comment, reviews, ratings, and more on our already existing site without much knowledge on programing languages.. and best of all... it's FREE!!

Knowing how frustrating it can be to look for these resources when you don't know where to begin, here is the site I had found which may be valuable to some people on this forum as well: http://js-kit.com

And many articles on http://softwareblogs.intel.com/ I've found interesting and helpful.

Hope this helps anyone who had been wanting to add comments on their website like I did.

Also if there's any of you who are familiar with sources that JS-kit provides which you did not like.. please let me know as well so I would know what the disadvantages are using this kit instead of creating one on my own with PHP. Thanks! =)

Last edited by charcola; 12-06-2007 at 12:13 PM.
charcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
moonbaseone

Just curious, has anyone tried http://www.htmlcommentbox.com/ ?

It's free and I am messing with it right now trying to see how I like it. if I do like it, I will donate to the guy who made it. But, I am trying to figure out how to change my user name and a few other things, and if I can add the code to each many different webpages and each comment box will work independently for each page/cartoon.

Or, if anyone know of another serive where people can leave comments and even rate and also, if it can be used on many different pages on one site would be just what I am looking for.
moonbaseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
inspiroHost

Using a CMS or blog system like Wordpress would be the easiest solution.
inspiroHost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
moonbaseone

Has anyone heard of or tried a program called InstaComment. Seems to have alot of features and gives you a lot of control over who comments, etc.. Even has it where quest can comment or users have to registers.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
moonbaseone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiroHost View Post
Using a CMS or blog system like Wordpress would be the easiest solution.
Actually, looking at it now, I may take this advice and use Wordpress. I was thinking that word press was for Blogs and not for websites, but I guess it is for websites as well. I am currently doing a big overhaul at my websites and once I am done with that, I will be looking for a good, free comment box. So far Word press is looking like the best/easiest choice.