Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email > Anti-Spam Talk For Webmasters
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Default PDF spam on the rise

I'm not sure how many of you guys-n-gals have been hit by bizarre PDF-based spam messages lately, but I've certainly seen my fair share during the past month. That is, I've seen the messages come in, but I haven't actually opened the PDF attachments. Who knows what nasties could be hidden within?

In any case, it does seem that PDF spam is gaining traction - largely in response to anti-spam tools starting to pick up on image-based spam more effectively than before. At the moment, image spammers are often simply converting their images to PDF files, but given that PDF documents can contain a range of active content types, this trend does pose some serious security risks if it continues.

On the plus side, hopefully this will result in a significant drop in the conversion rate that these criminals manage to attract, since most email users have no doubt been indoctrinated into not opening attachments from unknown sources. Anything that drops the earning potential of a spam operation has got to be good for the online community as a whole.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
Jan

Administrator

I can't say I look at spam to see what attachments lurk Most get sent straight to a spam folder, but I peek in once a day to see if any genuine mail got through. The majority have attachments, but no idea what they contain.

But pretty scary for those who do open everything.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote