Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Arrow First automatic targeting CPA ad network [Turn.com]

For years I've been wishing there was an automatic targeting CPA ad network. I am sure many of you have also had that same wish.

Now there is such an ad network. They call themselves the world's first automatic targeting CPA ad network.

Often when trying to determine how much potential something new is, it helps to look at the people who are running it. This one has a collection of some rather interesting people. They include: Jim Barnett. He was once president of Overture. He also served as President and CEO of AltaVista. John Ellis. He was senior vice president at Overture and senior vice president at AltaVista. Barnett and Ellis are co-founders of this new automatic targeting CPA ad network.

These two men hired several very experienced advertising and search experts to serve in management positions.

There are over 1,000 advertisers participating in the network which offers automatic targeting of ads and bidded Cost Per Action (CPA) pricing, which is based on technology that does away with needing keywords or manual targeting.

They say they use over 60 variables to determine targeting. These include site analysis, audience, categories, past performance and action type.

Like a lot of people who use AdSense, I like to know how Google feels about other ads before I add them. I checked with them on this and they said these ads may not be displayed on the same page as Google ads on your site. However, you are welcome to display those ads on pages of your site that do not include Google ads.

The name of this automatic targeting CPA ad network is Turn. Here is a link to their site in case you want to check them out http://www.turn.com/corp/index.jsp
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Nice intro Larwee. You just beat me to the punch on this one.

Turn.com is the realisation of a fantastic and powerful idea. Incidentally, this is a concept that has been discussed in depth here at Geek/Talk since last millenium, so although it's astounding that it has taken this long to bring a viable auto-targetinng/auto-optimising CPA product to market, this is certain to be readily embraced by our community - and by the market in general.

Congrats to Ellis and Co for snaring the first mover advantage in what is sure to solidify its status as the next major leap forward in CPA marketing technology.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default CPA vs CPC

I would have posted about this sooner, but I was waiting for the reply from Google so I could include it in my post.

Turn is in beta. They have come up with something a lot of people have been waiting for. That could be the good news for them. The bad news for Turn is that Google is believed to be working on a CPA network. Turn might not have this all to themselves for too long, and Google would likely get a lot more attention than Turn.

Right now Turn is having their turn at getting the attention and they really need to make the most of it. Many publishers and advertisers have been waiting for something like this.

The people behind Turn say they believe their CPA system can outperform Google's CPC method. That remains to be seen.

Here is an interesting brief article that takes a look at CPA and CPC and explores the advantages and disadvantages of what Turn offers. http://googlewatch.eweek.com/blogs/g.../07/14439.aspx
Old 11-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #4
demae

Has anyone with an entertainment-genre website gotten accepted to Turn.com? What effective CPM do you get?
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Turn is brand-spanking new, so there's very little historical data that would have been gleaned from publishers as yet.

demae, you could be a first mover in this space if you decide to sign up with them soon.

Incidentally, they do seem to be taking a while to respond to applications at the moment. Most likely, they've been hit by an onlaught of applications on the back of the publicity that the system has drummed up this month. Nevertheless, as with most new networks, getting in quick will give you a better-than-average chance of gaining admission.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow Good News and Bad News...

Good News:

Remarkable technology as stated by others. I'm assuming it deploys and we can see it in action. I'm sure it will. Outstanding Management with pictures and bios that can be double checked. An ideal transparency/about us model for all Networks.

Definetly sign up if you are so inclined. Post back and let us know how the "algo" works, the selection of merchants, your "cut" verses other CPA/CPL Networks and all the other goodies.

Bad News:

Not really but it's theatrical and gets your attention. More of a reality check. Lots of VC money in this firm which is great. My sence of the issue is they want to "cash out" and take their potentially huge profits and move on. THIS tactic is fine. Not a realistic chance on Planet Earth or Mars that Turn can garner enough traction to move past CJ or any CPA/CPL Network. IMHO, don't exspect it. Aint going to happen. What will happen is that Turn will cash out via a sale. Who? A guess but maybe CJ, ValueClick, or Google? Can you imagine the impact on CJ for publishers once they purchase this firm/technology? Thousands of hours saved looking for the CPA deal that fits?. WOW! Timeline will be a few years before the sale and in the meantime, it will be great to watch them and wait for the sale.

Good luck to all

Edit: For the Admins. Please edit the Topic title with: [Turn.com] so G and others index it and traffic arrives.

Last edited by Steve_S; 11-17-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
onlyreal

everybody missing big matter of fact

in real world small publishers are not the main guys thats online sellers interests. people like advertising networks, traffic brokers are the main guys who are important in market. Unless they manage to make it usable for these guys it is meaningless. And the main power of the brokers and ad networks is able to make this targeting.

I donot think turn will be big hit unless they modify system for the guys above. Plus google wont do this cpa targetting as the main idea behind the bidding on keyword is that. If they do that why will they need bidders (morely affiliates doing bidding for programs )
onlyreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:28 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyreal
everybody missing big matter of fact

in real world small publishers are not the main guys thats online sellers interests.
Tell that to Google and ValueClick. They've built their businesses around providing tools that enable publishers of all shapes and sizes to deliver advertising for marketing outfits of all shapes and sizes.

As in any economic exchange, they naturally gain most of their revenue from bigger advertisers and bigger publishers, but there are plenty of brokers focusing on that end of town. The major success stories in the internet advertising industry are those that develop platforms and pricing models supportive of the "mom and pop" operations. You don't need to take my word, you can read the same within numerous public filings made by Google since they listed their stock.

Democratization of media = $$$ for the most convenient and most accessible ad delivery platform. Turn.com fits that model perfectly, if the technology works as well as claimed. They may operate independently or may sell to ValueClick/CJ/DirectResponse/Google, but if the tech works, this will radically transform the CPA landscape for both large and small players.

In fact, if Turn.com do exceptionally well, they'll be able to cut traffic brokers and third tier ad networks out of the equation entirely, since they'll offer a more convenient, auto-optimising solution with a broader base of advertisers and a single point of contact/control for the publisher. Vertical integration is all the rage these days.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
Larwee

GeekGuide

There have been some people who have said they signed up as publishers with Turn.com but haven't heard anything from them. If you have had this same experience, there is an explanation for it. Here is how Turn states it:
Quote:
At this time we are running our closed beta and are working with a small set of publishers. We dont intend to accept new publishers until we launch the self-signup publisher network. Were anticipating this will take place in Q2 of 2007.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:16 PM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Thanks for the update, Larwee.

It's a little sad that they weren't actually ready for the big public roll-out when the buzz machine kicked in, but on the other hand, it's reassuring to see that they're commited to getting the balance right before extending too far.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
besimple

Default We're in Turn.com

They look very promising and will keep everyone updated as to what they offer and how they perform for us...

Besimple
besimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #12
Czar

Webmaster

Good to see you again, besimple.

Were you fortunate enough as to gain admission into their network?

Old 03-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
Larwee

GeekGuide

I applied to turn.com shortly before I started this thread back in November. I was accepted into their beta program today.

It is beta and they have said they have a limited ad inventory during the beta and Turn says that it is on purpose.

According to Turn, they are the "next revolution in online advertising." Time will tell if that ends up being true.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #14
LLWEB

Good to see something like this. Tempted to say finally, like others have been insinuating

I applied today, and alltho I know it's late in the beta game, lets hope for the best. Larwee, please report back with whatever experiences you have running turn, when you've done so. Should be interesting

I'll do the same when my time comes
And oh - Turn.com - awesome domain!
LLWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
Larwee

GeekGuide

One of the first things that impressed me about Turn.com is the outstanding people involved in the Turn management.

A few weeks ago Turn made another addition when Bill Demas joined their Board of Directors. It is very interesting to note that he left Yahoo Publisher Network to come to Turn.

Here is some of what Turn published about Bill Demas in a press release:
Quote:
Demas most recently served as Senior Vice President of Yahoo!s Publishing Network Group, which he led to more $1 billion in revenue. During his tenure he oversaw negotiations and business development relations with brand-name strategic partners. He also orchestrated exclusive global contracts and relationships with hundreds of other partners as well as catalyzed growth in the billion dollar Internet Domain monetization space. Additionally, Demas initiated the Yahoo! Publisher Network and Content Match business and product lines. Prior to Yahoo! Demas was Senior Vice President and General Manager, Partner Business and Solutions Group at Overture. There he led the company's affiliate distribution network, which included leading search destination sites such as MSN, Yahoo! and InfoSpace. Demas has also held a variety of prominent roles during his six years with Microsoft Corporation. He received B.A.s in Computer Science and Organizational Behavior and Management from Brown University and an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School.
It is very clear that Turn.com is very serious and that they have a remarkable leadership team.

The next thing is to see if Turn is able to live up to expectation.