Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-1999, 01:35 PM   #1
WildComputer

Default Jokes4u discussion

Who does Jokes4u ?

Does anybody make money on it ?

Does anybody know how many TOTAL subscribers there are to the Jokes mailing list - 100,000 ? 1,000,000 ? 10,000,000 ?

Why is it so popular as a referral program ??

I messed up the webmasters earn cash link for months (my own stupid fault) and didn't realize. I fixed it about a week ago - and suddenly a few sites have signed up thru me.

Meanwhile nobody's yet signed up for any other program I refer to through my site.
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-1999, 02:48 PM   #2
NanoTech

Hi,

Jokes4U is administered by Teknosurf.com. (The also run www.netezines.com which pays 5 cents a subscriber). I dont know how many subscribers they have, but Im sure John (who works at Tekno) would provide you with that information if you mailed him. He sometime posts on this board as well.

Currently they pay monthly at 5 cents/subscriber. However, they are switching their payments to quarterly on April 1 and will re raising their payout per subscriber. (to what I dont know)

About it being popular, Im not too sure if it is. If it is, it may be due to their setup. You get 5 cents/referal as well as 2 cents a referal you make. So, I place a link on my board. They sign up and I get 5 cents. Then they signup people, and for each they do and get 5 cents from, I make 2 cents. Hope this helps, and like I said, mabye John from Tekno will have some input.

Dave

Just looked at their page, and they say that they have over 4,000 webmasters they are paying to. They also say they have sent checks on time each month for the 18 months Jokes4u has been in business.

[This message has been edited by NanoTech (edited 03-27-99).]
NanoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-1999, 05:06 PM   #3
WildComputer

Thanks NanoTech, but sorry my question wasn't clear enough

>> Who does Jokes4u ?
Meant who as in which web site authors (not Teknosurf who I know manage it)

I am actually affiliated with Jokes4u, but with little success so far. However this is due to my own stupidity (i.e. I'm not complaining about the program) and relative lack of traffic
- first of all I didn't have many visitors when I joined (I have 100X more now - literally)
- and secondly I messed up the webmasters referral link in the HTML for the Jokes sign up box (which I only spotted and fix recently)

>> Why is it so popular as a referral program ??
I meant here - since I fixed the referral link, a surprisingly (to me) number of other web sites have signed up thru me. I am a little surprised at how many. Of course this is not a global view of the whole world.

>> Does anybody make money on it ?
I have read many places that some sites do very well with Jokes4u. I'm just curious who does well, and how well. Obviously I wouldn't want anybody to disclose any information they don't feel comfortable sharing

>> TOTAL subscribers
- I mean how many people read the jokes. This is just my curiosity. After all it must be one of the largest opt-in lists on the net given so many sites link to it.
- Given that I'd guess most subscribers read some of the jokes atleast some of the time (I do sometimes), it must also be a well read large list (by contrast I usually just delete 99% of e-mail from Xoom, Lycos, Microsoft, etc.)

[This message has been edited by WildComputer (edited 03-27-99).]
Old 04-02-1999, 07:40 PM   #4
Kev I V

Hey guys.

I see that Jokes4u will be discussed forever, and ever. Personally i have written a lot about them in a previous string...!

Anyway, i'm just wondering about NanoTech's statement:

Currently they pay monthly at 5 cents/subscriber. However, they are switching
their payments to quarterly on April 1 and will re raising their payout per subscriber. (to what I dont know)

i visited today - the 2nd, and they have no sign of change yet!

Was it all an april fools prank or something?
anyway - Nano, let us all in to your source...

- later

Kev

[This message has been edited by Kev I V (edited 04-02-99).]
Kev I V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-1999, 09:07 AM   #5
WildComputer

They sent me e-mail to tell me about their new "super combined" [sorry I forget the name] mailing list. It said in this that Jokes4u would be also updated.

It've seen stuff on Jokes4u page which says the same thing about payouts, but it doesn't give a start date for the change. I thought the change in pay out rules was clearly stated in jokes4u's pages- I knew about this so wasn't surprised.

My view is they should consider an increase, as for other e-mail lists I get $0.11-$0.80. Jokes 4 u is good however because of two tier structure which other lists don't have.

I've not made money with Jokes4u [as compared to other programs which made approx $1000 in March] but am willing to wait and see for (at least) several months as I get more sign-ups of webmasters.

They have changed the stats page which appears to have lost the button for viewing previous months earnings.