Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
ccole
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default How should I track bandwidth?

I have several servers, and I'm beginning to host some websites mostly for friends and things. I am not going to install cpanel or anything - I'd rather just program anything I need for myself (I think cpanel is a great program, but very bloated for my needs)

I have 2 main issues. #1 is how do I track the bandwidth? I guess I could just go purely off Apache logs, but there has got to be a better way than that.

#2 is security. I've set permissions and everything pretty well I think, and I plan on using phpsuexec and suexec and all for apache. But I've seen how cpanel does some sort of "jail" shell which seems to jail you in only to where they want you to go. Anybody know anything about this or another similar method of ssh security?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Alex|Canep Media

if you just need bandwidth usage of the server I'd go with MRTG, its a great software tool, Cacti is nice too but I'm a fan of MRTG. Its definately not bloated and is perfect for you.

If your looking for some control panel to manage bandwidth per account I'd consider a free software like zPanel or Webmin. zPanel is used for free hosting but it can be modified to meet your needs here.

zPanel, Webmin, MRTG, and Cacti are all free software available on net. Just search Google for a link.
Alex|Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
VP-Kaumil

I would have to agree, MRTG is a great piece of software for bandwidth tracking. It's quite powerful too.
VP-Kaumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
ccole

I appreciate the responses guys, but I probably wasn't clear enough. I'll definitely use MRTG, but I want to track specific bandwidth *per account*. I'll check out out Webmin or something does it, but I was hoping somebody else would have an answer for me here.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #5
cashloan

Contents
[hide]

* 1 pftop
* 2 trafshow
* 3 Built-in Graphs
* 4 BandwidthD
* 5 Darkstat
* 6 NTOP
* 7 Monitoring on Multiple Interfaces
* 8 Netflow