Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
tomattomat

Default Host Gator Account Suspended

Has anyone had any issues from hostgator? I found out this week that my account has been suspended. When I emailed them, hostgator's reply was that there has been chargeback on my transaction and they decide to simply ban my account.

I pressed for details but they refused to give me any details. What they said is that a chargeback has occured and we have closed your accounts. What is going on here? I had been with them for six months and suddenly, they discover a chargeback that was made who knows when. Furthermore, they refuse to give the slightest bit of details (the date it happened, to what account). How am i supposed to know if they are telling the truth? I checked my credit card statement and there was no money credited back to my account.

In one snap of a finger, they have ******* with my site and my two years worth of work. Anybody can help me with this? My domain is in my signature.

Thanks
tomattomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

I experienced some fairly serious issues with HostGator, but mine were primarily related to security (ie, having every site on my reseller account defaced not once, but three times, by the same single script kiddie over the course of several weeks). I wasn't at all happy with the way my concerns were addressed, but I didn't have any issues with their billing dept.

Try contacting the company at a different time of day from your last request and you will hopefully be served by a different support staff member. Spell out the details of your case politely and with as much information disclosed as possible.

If the second support staff member doesn't at least investigate and/or have your account reinstated asap, try following up by whatever phone contacts they have available and let them know that you're happy to move as long as you are allowed access to your data for a few days to allow the site to be transferred. If they don't grant you that right over something as petty as a billing mix-up, then there's something seriously wrong.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
tomattomat

Hmm......I must admit that I was mildly fed-up (& emotional) when i wrote the emails to them. They keep bouncing me around. I've tried live chat, phone, emails, and all they are telling me is to contact their sales department. Once I go to their sales dept, all the rep said was that my account will be terminated shortly. No but or if.

I will try to request for an access to the database before I moved. Thanks for the tip, Czar. Don't think they will give me refunds for the remaning six months I've paid. In fact, to get reinstated, they want me to pay for the hosting fee through western union + $50 as a result of the chargeback they occured.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
trabaho

Default What kind of accounts?

I'm wondering what kind of accounts do you guys have there?

if its a reseller have you guys tried httpme or dathorn.

dathorn is the best value and httpme ( previosly owned by an australian ) has the best community.
trabaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow I'm confused...

Let's see if we can please clarifiy this issue:

1. You said "...chargeback on my transaction and they decide to simply ban my account."

I respectfully suggest that you call your CC company on the phone and try and determine exactly what their records show. A "Chargeback" is always started by a human and never automated. Perhaps your CC company made a mistake. Record the name and postition of the person you are talking with. ALL phone calls are recorded so if in fact a human started a chargeback, they have it on tape.

2. From your other post you indicate "...I must admit that I was mildly fed-up (& emotional) when i wrote the emails to them"

Look, I understand what motivates this kind of behavior and I also feel your pain. I really do. However, the tone and words of your contact could have triggered a gut reaction on their part and that means in their eyes they will not tolerate this kind of communications. It's time to eat a little crow, bite the bullet, and play VERY VERY nice and respectfull and appolagize for your previous communications. You have one single goal in mind. That would be access to your data. For better or worse the host has all the leverged and you have none.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
tomattomat

I respectfully suggest that you call your CC company on the phone and try and determine exactly what their records show. A "Chargeback" is always started by a human and never automated. Perhaps your CC company made a mistake. Record the name and postition of the person you are talking with. ALL phone calls are recorded so if in fact a human started a chargeback, they have it on tape.

Hi, Steve. Yes. I checked my past credit card statement and gave them a call regarding this chargeback. The operator told me that no such chargeback occurs and the company is willing to provide written notice regarding the existence of such chargeback. However, it will take 2 weeks for them to mail it and I feel that I won't use that kind of proof for now. Too bad, I didn't have that on tape :-), but I will give them a call anytime.

Anyway, one representative from hostgator sent me an email and saying that he would like to talk to me. We'll see what he has to say.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
tomattomat

I talked with Jason Muni of Hostgator. (Think he was the GM ). He refused to give any details and was so upset that the chargeback occurs. For me to access my account, I need to pay $83.40 of hosting fee + $ 50 chargeback fee. If not, he will report my credit for collection and that sort of thing. Judging from here, I don't think I will be allowed to access my data at that point (if i want to move my hosting company)

I called my credit card company for clarification, again. The operator said that no such chargeback occurs. When I asked her if she would be willing to call Jason at Hostgator, she refused. Similarly, Jason refused to call my credit card company after I obtained the information of the operator's name. So, what was I supposed to do? On one hand, there is this webhosting company who think that I commited fraud and that, calling my credit card company is a waste of time. On the other side, my cc. operator denies that a chargeback occurs and she too was unwilling to make the calls.

I called them the second time, and I was answered by this nice fellow, Tim. He was willing to talk with Jason while I was on hold. My phone connection got disconnected and when I called my cc. customer service again, I was answered by another operator. Shortly after, Hostgator enabled access to my site. Not sure what was happening between them but Tim sure does a nice job on it. I would like to thank Tim, for his dedication on the job and resolving this matter.

I am trying find his supervisor's boss and express my gratitude by email. Unfortunately, I cannot disclose my credit card company and hence, I need to look that up by myself.

As for hostgator, yes, they do have a nice service. They promptly re-activate my account right after Jason's conversation with Tim. However, the fact that they concluded that I commit fraud without giving any proof/details is a big minus. It may happen to you. What would happen if Tim does not come to my rescue? I would probably would have my webhosting service twice and by paying twice Hostgator might have thought that I indeed has commited fraud.

One impression that I get from hostgator is this: "You have made a chargeback. I'm sorry, we cannot give you any details. But, if you pay one year of hosting fee + $ 50 chargeback, we will let your site up and running. Otherwise, we will send your charge for collection." Can it happen to anybody? It can.

So, anyway, I was making the calls to my cc company once again and inquire about this Tim. I was directed to another operator and she called her supervisor. I talked about how Tim had helped me through this but unfortunately, the supervisor told me that Tim and his supervisor did not have an external email. I guess, I was just refused information regarding both Tim and his supervisor's email. She said that she would report this to Tim's supervisor and recommend him a certificate of appreciateness or something. LOL, is that all they are going to give? A piece of paper :s. I am not sure if Tim will get the recognition or not. Anyway, this post is a token of my gratitude for Tim. Thank you, Tim. Wish I can thank you personally and directly.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Intriguingly, my HostGator reseller account has been offline for a number of hours now, and WHM (the only service still accessible to me) is reporting that all of my accounts are empty.

I certainly hope this is a coincidence, rather than a result of Host Gator staff stumbling across this thread.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 07-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #9
Jan

Administrator

I have suggested to Brent to pop in to address this thread, hopefully he will be along to clear up some issues
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
hostgator

Hi tomattomat,

What is your ticket number? I would like to review it for you. We get about 4 chargebacks a day for various reasons such as the card being stolen, customers forgetting they have an account with us, credit card companys making mistakes, upset spouses, angry business partner, and the list goes on and on. If you did in fact do a chargeback that would explain why your account was shut down. It's possible we made some type of mistake which I could look into for you. If we did it will be the first chargeback mistake we've ever made out of the 500+ we've done to date.

Czar you must on ferrari which is the second server we setup with the planet. We now have over 1200+ Last night some inodes on the partition went corrupt, and the server needed a fsck to fix it. FSCK's while rare can happen to any server at any time. We unmounted home ran the fsck on one partitition at a time and got the server backup and running. I was suppose to go to an engagement party, but ended up skipping to help out with your server.

If anyone has any questions let me know. Thanks!
hostgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:27 AM   #11
tomattomat

Jan, awesome ! It is better this way. My ticket # was YOK-715673. I've spoken with (and emailed) Jason Muni on a few ocassions. My site is up and running again but no concrete explanation on what is happening.

In the future, Hostgator can claim that I did a chargeback and suspend my account, no? I would like to prevent future shutdown and hence, I need to know who did what and what exactly happened? A mixup in chargeback ok, I understand. So, what causes a mix-up in chargeback? I had this thinking that somebody stole my identity and called my cc. company, demanding a refund.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:45 AM   #12
Czar

Webmaster

Thanks for the clarification, Brent. Although we were down for several hours, all is well now. Thanks for stopping by to address these two issues in person; particularly tomattomat's important queries.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #13
tomattomat

Any news from hostgator? It seems awefully quiet this week.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #14
Czar

Webmaster

A quiet week is a good week when it comes to hosting.

Do you still have a ticket outstanding with Hostgator, tomattomat?

Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
tomattomat

What is your ticket number? I would like to review it for you. We get about 4 chargebacks a day for various reasons such as the card being stolen, customers forgetting they have an account with us, credit card companys making mistakes, upset spouses, angry business partner, and the list goes on and on.

I am just waiting for Hostgator's clarification to prevent similar incidents in the future. If somebody did indeed call my cc. company as my impostor, I would like to take appropriate action regarding my old cc.