Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Lightbulb 5 lower priced alternatives to Photoshop

I love Adobe Photoshop CS2. I consider it to be a fantastic program. I think there are many people who would agree that it is sensational. It is also rather expensive. While it is amazing, it still would be nice if it had a lower price.

There could be some people who might want to spend less and see if they could come up with something that would suit their needs. There are some lower priced programs which could be ideal for some people.

I have found a very good review of five programs which could be of interest. The total combined price of all of these programs added together is considerably lower than the price of Adobe Photoshop CS2.

The 5 programs reviewed are: Paint Shop Pro X, Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006, Ulead PhotoImpact 11, PhotoPlus 10 and Photoshop Elements. Some of these have been around for a while, but have improved a lot over time. All of them feature layers, masks and plug-ins.

The reviews should give you a good idea about the performance of each of these programs. There are seven pages, but you wouldn't expect 5 different programs to be reviewed in just one short page.

It is very much worth reading if you are interested in a lower priced alternative to Photoshop. You might find a program that you like.

Here is a link to the review http://techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml...leID=189400265
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

It's a pity they didn't include The Gimp on that list. It's an essential inclusion in any low-budget, guerrilla web publisher's toolkit.

Photoshop Elements is fantastic as an alternative to Photoshop; particularly for those who will only use Photoshop for the web and who don't require print-quality colour grading and output.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:42 AM   #3
Jan

Administrator

I have always prefered Paint Shop Pro, mainly because, after a few trial versions of Photoshop to see if I could get the hang of it and didn't have the time or patience (plus it was very resource intensive).

I gave up looking for my Paint Shop Pro 7 details (new computer et al), so about a week ago, I downloaded Paint Shop Pro X trial version. I am slowly learning to drive it and probably will buy it when the month is up
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote