Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2006, 01:47 AM   #1
henryzeng
Member.

Default Newbie Question: What is the differences between affiliate and reseller?

Hello,everybody. I'm just new here. Can anybody explain the differences to me? Thanks very much!
henryzeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
masm50

You would have to check the terms of the actual programs you are talking about to be certain but normally:

An affiliate pays nothing and just sends traffic or users or buyers to a site where if they buy something the affiliate is paid a commission (sometimes a percentage of the sale and sometimes a flat rate per sale). For example if a webhosting affiliate send a user to a host who then signs up, they will normally get a fee (often up to $75) for sending a user there

A reseller pays for services upfront but normally reasonably cheaply and then sells on that product, often reducing it in size or specification making themselves a profit as the middle man. For example a webhosting reseller buys a reseller plan from a webhost (such as 5GB webspace and 100GB bandwidth for say $25/month), and then sells it on to users as shared hosting. He could offer something like 500MB space and 10GB bandwidth a month for $5/month to 10 users therefore making 100% profit (or $25/month).
Host or product suppliers often give resellers unbranded produsct or hosting, which the reseller can then brand making themselves look like the products are their own.

Hope that helps,

Tim
masm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #3
Alex|Canep Media
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Although the above is true in the advertising industry they have slightly different meanings.

An affiliate is the same thing as a publisher, it is a member of an ad network that will display an ad for a product or service and is paid out either on a CPC, CPM, or CPA basis.

A reseller is someone who resells for an ad network. They are basically an ad network that gets most advertisers from a larger ad network. Such as BannerConnect, they use the YieldManager adserver, and are receiving a lot of their advertisers from Right Media. Therefor they can be considered a reseller of Right Media.
Alex|Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
manotin
Member.

I believe an affiliate is a person who joins a program and gets paid to sell either real item and or a service. And also get residual income from commisions when the people he signs up refer other people who sign up.... so on down the line. Could be very profitable. I belong to six affiliate programs myself. But if you think you can make money with out spending money don't even try. There is usually an upgraded membership were the real money is made.
manotin is offline   Reply With Quote