Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Technical Questions about geek/talk > Help Me - FAQ - Lost Geek (Read Only)
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thumbs up Wow!

Georgie rocks! Czar Rocks! We all Rock!

Congrats and great work.

Patients geeks. This is a huge job and it will take a few days to fine tune the minor loose ends.

Wonder over to the Test Forum at: http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Then play and post like mad.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #17
Czar

Webmaster

Arrow Yeehah! All done.

Okay, the title of this post may be a little premature. We do still have a number of small kinks to work out (particularly in relation to post syndication and the integration of this new software with a few of our older hacks), but as you can no doubt see, Geek/Talk has finally entered the 21st Century.

Please let me know if you encounter any unusual behaviour, or if you have any feature requests, suggestions or comments about our new look and feel.

Have fun folks!

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #18
Czar

Webmaster

Incidentally, while it goes without saying that George deserves a big round of applause for his efforts in tackling this deceptively difficult upgrade (which actually involved three separate vB version upgrades and many minor tweaks), I'd like to also thank Steve for the immense amount of support and information he provided throughout this process.

I also have to thank Jan in advance for bearing with vB 3.5.3, which is arguably not as user-friendly from an admin's point of view than previous incarnations of the software. Good luck Jan!

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 02-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #19
Matt Sherman - ValueClick Media

Great work, Czar/George!

Matt Sherman
Manager of Media
ValueClick Media/Fastclick
Matt Sherman - ValueClick Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #20
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar
I also have to thank Jan in advance for bearing with vB 3.5.3, which is arguably not as user-friendly from an admin's point of view than previous incarnations of the software. Good luck Jan!
Well I am kinda used to it now, having used it on one forum for nearly 2 years

Well done to all concerned
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #21
Rivux

Looks great guys and gals, though I forgot what the site looked like with ads on it. When do I get my ad-free skin back

btw, I love the new smilies, especially this one
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #22
Larwee

GeekGuide

Rivux, in an earlier post Czar said Contributing Geeks will be without ad-free skins for approximately one week.
Quote:
The ad-free skin option for CGs will definitely disappear for approximately a week, but will return immediately after our post-upgrade tests have been performed.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #23
Czar

Webmaster

The ad free skin may be here even sooner than that. We just need enough time to ensure that this one's fine and dandy before modding it.

For those who have a special fondness for our old design and colour scheme, we're intending to introduce a "Geek/Talk Classic" skin along with the ad free option. We may even throw in an ad-free version of that second colour scheme to help allow our Contributing Geeks to experience the retro stylings in speedy ad-free format.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:19 AM   #24
singloon

GeekGuide

woah love the new style... GV certainly getting with the times

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #25
Czar

Webmaster

Anything to encourage you to stop by more often, singloon.

Congrats again, singloon/George/eva on a job well done. If there are any geeks out there who need a little hand-holding with a complex vB upgrade with multi-redundancy and checks along the way, singloon's the man to contact. He helped bring us forward about 4 1/2 years over the course of one weekend.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:32 AM   #26
demae

I thought the old forum's colors had better contrast.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #27
Czar

Webmaster

Thanks for your feedback demae. I think you're right, too. The new colour scheme appeals to me, but I have received a few comments about the contrast issue, which is why I intend to introduce a second skin later this week. The second skin will feature a colour scheme inspired by the old Geek/Talk, to provide both a little retro flavour and greater contrast. I'll be sure to let you know when it's ready.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #28
zink0

Hi

I like it
Good work!
zink0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #29
My2cents

Lookin good!! Well done on the face lift.
My2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #30
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar
Anything to encourage you to stop by more often, singloon.

Congrats again, singloon/George/eva on a job well done. If there are any geeks out there who need a little hand-holding with a complex vB upgrade with multi-redundancy and checks along the way, singloon's the man to contact. He helped bring us forward about 4 1/2 years over the course of one weekend.
quick reply is a god send

i like the natural earth colours it's easier to read forums for longer lengths of times especially if you want to increase stickiness and browse time of visitors to a forum/site

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote