Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Technical Questions about geek/talk > Help Me - FAQ - Lost Geek (Read Only)
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2006, 07:59 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Arrow It's Time: Geek/Talk to receive a facelift

Our more established members will be thrilled to hear that the time has finally arrived for Geek/Talk to emerge from its technological cocoon and to enter a new, vibrant age filled with RSS and AJAX related goodies!

That's right, we've finally taken the plunge and scheduled an upgrade for Geek/Talk, which will move the forum from vBulletin 2.3.x to the latest fancy pants version of the world's best discussion software, vBulletin 3.5.3.

This upgrade will help Geek/Talk to shed some old tech baggage and will help us to create a faster, sleeker, more attractive and more functional environment in which to interact. All this, without compromising those elements that really make Geek/Talk great, which aren't technological at all.

The upgrade is scheduled for the second half of this week. Since it is so involved (requiring two separate upgrades, the application of new skins and icons, multiple backups, PHP and mySQL tweaks and the repair or upgrade of several hacks), the task is scheduled to occur from Wednesday February 1 - Saturday February 4. At least, that's the approximate timeline in US EST. The upgrade will actually take place between Thursday and Sunday Australian time, since it is to be carried out by myself and, more importantly, everyone's favourite vBulletin GURU Singloon (aka eva2000 from vB).

During this time, you may notice two brief periods of downtime while the database is locked to permit complete backups to be completed. It's unlikely that you'll notice any other issues or inconsistencies until the upgrade has been completed and taken live, after which time all hell will break loose. (Or not...hopefully not. )

Once the upgrade is complete, please do report any weird or unusual behaviour to me. And no, short responses from Larwee do not count as weird behaviour. j/k Please don't take any missing features or accolades personally, however, as there are bound to be a few strange occurrences, particularly in relation to hacks that may become inactive or unstable.

In a worst case scenario, just a few of the issues that may occur are as follows:
1. Members may have to login again upon returning to the village post-upgrade.
2. Members who have selected non-default skins may lose their selections as only one skin will be introduced for the week following the upgrade, until we can verify that everything is functioning as it should.
3. Some custom titles or special avatars may be lost temporarily as the format of the forum changes.
4. Contributing geeks may or may not experience some loss of special features and may even lose their avatars. Never fear, though, the usernames of all CGs have been recorded and your accounts will be returned to VIP status in no time. The ad-free skin option for CGs will definitely disappear for approximately a week, but will return immediately after our post-upgrade tests have been performed.
5. I do not believe that ad campaigns will be interrupted in the slightest, but if by chance they are, all display advertisers will have their campaigns extended by twice the amount of downtime received as compensation.
6. Hacks, such as geek/Gallery, syndication and a few other behind-the-scenes features are likely to become inactive or unstable until upgraded or demolished.
7. Emoticons and some other inclusions may change until replaced.

I think that's about it. With George/Singloon/Eva in the driver's seat, we are in very good hands, so the worst case scenario should not eventuate. Rather, by the end of this week, we should all be interacting on a brand new platform with a brand new skin that integrates more completely with the rest of the site and which supports loads of handy syndication and subscription options to help you keep up to date with the latest industry developments and opportunities even more conveniently.

Wish us luck!

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Pilatus

Quote:
During this time, you may notice two brief periods of downtime
How will I survive this! don't take my drugs pusherman!, noooooh :P

Good luck with the upgrade.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thumbs up

Outstanding News and best of luck. Of all the folks on planet earth to handle the numerous techinical issues involved in this HUGE upgrade, Georgie/Eva is clearly the VERY best on planet earth. Years of experience, thousands of tweaks and installs, and the best knowledge you can find.

The post is excellent and if you run a Community I hope you learn from it. It not only anticipates issues/glitches but also provides you with a ton of details. Plus it encourages you to post very very detailed "bug" reports so all of us can help.

On another note, A few of you WILL experience "withdrawell" pains for a couple of days. This is understandable. Take a walk on the beach, find new like minded geeks to join the NEW and IMPROOVED GV, try decalf, spend some time with your family, have fun, and relax.

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Rivux

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_S
spend some time with your family, have fun, and relax.
family? you mean those peoples whose calls I don't return? or is that the bill collector, sometimes its hard to tell them apart. They both call way too much, both want money and neither will take no for answer. Kind of sounds like my last girlfriend as well. lol
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
Larwee

GeekGuide

I'm sure most of you got Czar's joke about me ....... It was a rather good joke.

I am really anxious to see and use the new Geek/Talk and enjoy the great new goodies.

The brief downtime and the new Geek/Talk might take a while to adjust to. Since I am several hundred miles from any beach, I'll have to settle for a walk in the park.

The new technology will be great. But the fact will remain that what makes Geek/Talk so good is the high standards set by founder Steve_S and maintained by the current owner Czar, plus the fine people who comprise the membership.

The Super Bowl is a very big event here in the United States. This is Super Bowl week, leading up to the Super Bowl. I don't know if I'm more anxious to see the Super Bowl or to see the new Geek/Talk.

As good as Geek/Talk is, there is always room for improvement, and this upgrade will help make the Geek/Talk experience more enjoyable.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:07 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

Hopefully everything goes smoothly I for one will be sad to see my last *simple to moderate* forum go, but that's technology

vb3.5 = everything is a few extra clicks away.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Some of you probably noticed that we just experienced our first bout of downtime in relation to this upgrade.

What was supposed to be the simplest phase of the upgrade unfortunately involved more steps and more glitches than expected, but we've managed to fight our way through the surprisingly tricky process of creating an ideal platform for the new BB. This involved updating a number of back-end services, as well as removing some errant custom server settings to bring things up to standard (thanks to Steve Shubitz and the excellent folks at Data393.com for helping to diagnose and repair these unusual and unexpected issues).

Although we took a minor detour, swift action from those involved has helped to bring us slightly ahead of schedule, which is a good place to be right now.

The fun stuff is to follow...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #8
danhenry

Okay... We will be looking forward to this sites new design.

Good luck!
danhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
sameer1122

Default New Look

Looking forward for the new look and features.
All the best
sameer1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:23 AM   #10
gertie

Yeah Geeks!!! Can't wait for the new VB.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
albert_einstein

Oh boy! I've just signed up and now geek village will be having a massive facelift?!

Good luck anyway...
albert_einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #12
Jan

Administrator

Hi there albert_einstein

I guess the change won't affect you too much since you are new Unless you signed up because we still use vB2.*.*

Edited to add for vB2.*.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:04 AM   #13
singloon

GeekGuide

Hey Steve, Josh and Jan and all fellow geeks.. been a while since i popped in

Hope everyone is doing well

I'm about to commence with the upgrades soooo hand on tight

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:09 AM   #14
Jan

Administrator