Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Lasse

Unhappy Google AdSense going down the drain, new ideas?

During last summer/early fall we reconstructed website CD-RW.ORG into something different -> http://BitBurners.com. One key choice was to eliminate all advertising that would be intrusive for the user. We removed popups, started relying mostly on Google AdSense and did a lot of filtering in order to get the **** out of FastClick's campaign.

During September-December all looked well. eCPM of our three banner was higher than ever, as AdSense ads really seemed to kick in. We did not regret for a second that we dropped popunder advertising.

But ever since new year, the AdSense has started declining. In fact we are now getting less than 50% eCPM what we used to get in the fall, and I have started increasing the amount of FastClick banners.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Any ideas how to resolve the problem, good banner advertising networks to recommend as Google replacement? I have tried Casale, but they say that they have enough websites in this niche already.

Any help appreciated, thanks
Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Lasse

Hm..not a single suggestion?

Well, I continued trouble shooting this by my self. At lease the AdSense Blacklist seemed to do me some good, and there is perhaps a slight bounce back now. Lets see if the trend continues.

Any other improvement ideas for my AdSense setup?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
dognose

The Top/Side/Bottom aren't the best places for ads.

You could talk to the adsense team, and maybe they can give you some optimization instructions, including new ad units, color, position, etc.

They helped me out and I'm getting 2x what I was before the changes.
dognose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
fusionhosting

Try using a square box mixed in with your content for news/reviews.
fusionhosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Lasse

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I know and I would like to have a square box embedded in the layout. It's just that mambo/joomla is so freaking inflexible. Have to talk to the AdSense team - good idea.

The blacklist was not the resolution after all - eCPM back to very low levels today.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
aditan22

Is it the eCPM declining or the CTR? because I'm experiencing in last couple days my CTR is quite drop and when I checked my site I saw Adsense is showing non-related ads (what I mean here is really non-related or far of my site's topic). It happens very often and I know that Adsense has ads related to my site, because sometimes (hardly) those ads did come up.

I did check at Google search engine and my site is still shown when I searched for targeted keywords (related to my site's topic), so I'm curious if Google is having trouble with their Adsense system or what, I'm not sure either.

Does anybody here experience this also? and may I have your recommendation, should I email Adsense support regarding to this issue?
aditan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
dognose

This story tells of some google optimization that helped a site go from $10/day to $1,700/day!

http://adsense.blogspot.com/2006/04/...please-no.html

Your site has the same problems, ads need more blending, people don't look at the fringes anymore.
dognose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
Larwee

GeekGuide

Lasse, you might also want to take a look at this http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30552 it is possible you might find something in those links that could be of help to you. Just one good tip that leads to an important change on your part could be all it will take to turn things around for you.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
Lasse

Just a brief update.

Got some color palette tips from Google and I implemented them. Blending colors to background improved some. Especially the bottom 468 banner improved a lot.