Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
rbacal

Default 301 redirect help

One of our sites got hit in google and has gone supplemental. I'm trying to ensure that pages are accessed only thru mydomain.com rather than www.mydomain.com using .htaccess using the following code.

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST** ^www.mydomain.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://mydomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]

This seems to work for all pages EXCEPT those involving a perl script in cgi-bin which isn't redirecting. The htaccess file is in httpdocs, while the cgi-bin directory is in root (however I can't create an .htaccess file in root (no permissions to do so).

Is there something obvious I am missing to get this to work?

PS. As for google, oddly enough we have about eight domains, with one attempting this kind of redirect. The ONLY site that got hit in the SERPS was the one with the redirect (which is the opposite of what I expected due to possible dupe content issues). Anyone got any comments on this?
rbacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Jan

Administrator

This might be better placed in Webmaster Issues *moved*
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
nitpat1

When you create a .htaccess file make sure you transfer it in ASCII and not binary. You will probably want to CHMOD the file to 644 for security reasons as well. .htaccess is an
Apache technology and not a windows server technology
nitpat1 is offline   Reply With Quote