Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
Michel Z.

Default How can I stop showing URLs at bottom of browser?

I would like to stop showing URLs at bottom of browser in following cases:

1. When someone moves with mouse to images on my site to click, I don't want to show at bottom of browser my 'affiliate' URL! How can I do that?

2. When visitors coming to my site, I also don't want to show URLs at bottom of browser when my site is downloading!

How can I do above mentioned? Which code do I need to add?

Many thanks!
Michel Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
Jan

Administrator

What reason do you have for not showing your visitors what they are about to click on? If I come across a site where that is hidden, I look at the source code before I click.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Jan has a valid point, and one that Google is rumoured to have started taking into account when evaluating links. Personally, I also don't like clicking on links with hidden or obscured destination URLs and often right-click on a link before following through if I'm suspicious about a URL.

That said, it's easy to conceal a link's destination if you do choose to do so. Adding the following code snippet within your <a href> tag will do just that:
Code:
<a href="http://www.geekvillage.com" onMouseOver="window.status='The geek shall inherit the Earth!'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=' '; return true">blah</a>
HTH

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote