Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Search Engine Marketing & Optimization
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default Use MSN Search and win prizes

In this thread http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30032 it was covered about how Yahoo is giving consideration to paying people to make Yahoo their primary search engine.

MSN now has the real thing. They are giving prizes to encourage people to use MSN Search.

Here is a link to searching and winning prizes at MSN http://www.msnsearchandwin.com/

Here is a link to the official rules http://www.msnsearchandwin.com/officialrules.htm

To me these type of things just don't look good. It can give the impression that they need to bribe people in order to get them to use their search engine.

What do you think?
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

I just find it unusual given the history of the market. Both of these portals were big players when they saw other heavily-backed engines come in with exactly the same offer. iWon.com, for example, attempted to win visitors away from Yahoo by offering cash and prizes as incentives for searching and interacting with the site. It didn't work against Yahoo, so why should it work for them?

Admittedly, the web audience is now broader in demography than back then and cash incentives have been used in print, TV and particularly radio to tilt market share over for years, to some success. Maybe there is a particular segment of the internet community that will respond to this by shifting their loyalty away from Google. If it helps MSN and Yahoo make even single percent gains, given that this is an audience that could be more likely to spend on consumer goods, they'll probably be worth a good deal of money to the portals.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:05 AM   #3
suresk

I don't understand this at all. The prizes are decent, but nothing big. I'm guessing the odds aren't that great

At the end of the day, I use a search engine to find information. If a search engine doesn't do that very well, I'm not going to use it anyway just to have a small chance at a modest prize. I don't understand why companies expend energy for such gimmicky pursuits, in lieu of actually making a better product.
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:31 AM   #4
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larwee
In this thread [url]
What do you think?
I will continue to use google

I have to wonder why you would even post a link to their "incentive" scheme though. Why give it publicity?
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Larwee

GeekGuide

With over 5 billion searches being made by users of the various search engines, just getting a small percentage increase can represent a lot of searches. MSN might be able to use this to help themselves in some small way.

Things might not end up working the way Microsoft had wanted when it comes to the winning of prizes. People are always looking for ways to cheat. Microsoft has probably made it a lot easier for people to improve their chances of winning than they had planned.

Several people have now found out how to make it a lot easier to win and some of them aren't keeping it a secret. Microsoft might find a way to deal with this, but right now they are facing a problem with this.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:24 AM   #6
sitearsiv
Member.

thanks you.
sitearsiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
maddeningcrowds

I don't understand why companies expend energy for such gimmicky pursuits
I agree that search quality is the bottom line.

MSN Search has got a lot better recently. But how do they get web users to realise this? People need a bit of a prompt to try something different.

The prize thing can draw attention to their search and get a few people to try it. They might find they like it.
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Larwee

GeekGuide

While they might not admit it, these types of promotions are acts of desperation as a result of frustration. They are trying to close the gap between themselves and Google but both MSN and Yahoo are seeing the Google margin getting wider. According to Nielsen/NetRatings, Google's share of total search activity is 6 percent higher now than it was a year ago.

A lot of people really love Google and just aren't interested in trying other search engines. I'm talking about the general public and not webmasters. They are sticking with Google. When any mention of search is made to them, Google is what pops into their minds.

Someone has to come up with something that is much better than Google, convince the public of this and get the public to start using them over Google. Right now that is easier said than done.

Meanwhile, Google has to be careful not to self-destruct. They can't become complacent. They need to continue to innovate, give better search results and try to remain synonymous with search.