Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
trabaho

Default Web 2.0

been looking at all the cool applications comming out anyone in geekvillage making a web 2.0 website or application?
trabaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
frank3

Default Glad you asked that

I've been wondering about this web 2.0 stuff.

This is the right place to get some straight answers.

Do you see most of the new things aimed at webmaster types or do you see some that are focused on mainstream consumers?

Frank
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:42 AM   #3
suresk

Well, "Web 2.0" is really quite vague. If you are referring to AJAX, Flex, or other RIAs, then yes, I have developed several and continue to do so. What specific questions did you have?
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
trabaho

Default Oreilly has a good explanation

Oreilly starts out my comparing sites that are WEB 2.0 and which are not.

link: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/orei...is-web-20.html

I started exploring del.icio.us and started really seeing where things are headed.

Another interesting Web 2.0 site which can explain what it is:

web 2.0 validator: http://web2.0validator.com/

Last edited by trabaho; 02-13-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
frank3

I went to the links that trabaho posted (thanks for those) and had a look around. One of the links led me to another, and another, and so on. After all this I'm more confused than before.

Ignorance is bliss. A little knowledge brings the recognition of total ignorance. No longer bliss.

One of the sites I read seemed to indicate that we have alread progressed beyond web 2.0 and are now mid way thru web 3.0. Oh well. Back to the present.

AJAX, et al, are not so new. So, I assume that the applications that use these web 2.0 technologies are presenting something in a different format (or manner) are what's new. From my reading you could include DHTML, SVG, XUL, XAML, XFORMS, and various frameworks (such as Ruby) in a list of web 2.0 technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresk
Well, "Web 2.0" is really quite vague. If you are referring to AJAX, Flex, or other RIAs, then yes, I have developed several and continue to do so. What specific questions did you have?
Specific but hypothetical:

Let's say I have a shopping mall for shoes. My site demographics are:
1. Female 95%, upper middle income, working mothers. Average to below average internet skills.

What sorts of web 2.0 gadgets would be of use to these folks and to me?

Frank
Old 02-14-2006, 03:59 AM   #6
suresk

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3
I went to the links that trabaho posted (thanks for those) and had a look around. One of the links led me to another, and another, and so on. After all this I'm more confused than before.

Ignorance is bliss. A little knowledge brings the recognition of total ignorance. No longer bliss.

One of the sites I read seemed to indicate that we have alread progressed beyond web 2.0 and are now mid way thru web 3.0. Oh well. Back to the present.

AJAX, et al, are not so new. So, I assume that the applications that use these web 2.0 technologies are presenting something in a different format (or manner) are what's new. From my reading you could include DHTML, SVG, XUL, XAML, XFORMS, and various frameworks (such as Ruby) in a list of web 2.0 technology.

Specific but hypothetical:

Let's say I have a shopping mall for shoes. My site demographics are:
1. Female 95%, upper middle income, working mothers. Average to below average internet skills.

What sorts of web 2.0 gadgets would be of use to these folks and to me?

Frank
Based on my readings over the last 24 hours, here is how I would sum it up:

- Uses new, light-weight technologies
- Allows users to participate in the experience more than ever before
- Makes conveying and sharing information much easier and more seamless

So, with that in mind, let's take a look at your scenario.

First, what is your goal? Your only goal is to sell more shoes. To do that, there are three things you can improve, a) the number of people viewing your shoes, b) the number of people who make a purchase, and c) the amount they purchase.

I don't see how you could effecitively utilize AJAX or other cool technologies to meet these goals (although you could implement neat little effects and whatnot, I don't know that they would significantly impact sales), but there are several other things you could implement.

First, why not allow prospective buyers to discuss the shoes being advertised, and have little mini-forums on each shoe page? This would let buyers discuss the positives and negatives about each shoe. It would not require significant technical knowledge. Hearing positive feedback about a certain shoe would overcome uncertainty for many, turning potential customers into customers. Further, the content created by users would help in your search engine rankings.

You could allow your visitors to create content in other ways - perhaps creating pages about running, which would contain information about running such as tips, safety info, motivation, recommended shoes, and other things.

I think often times people make the mistake of trying to see how they can fit the newest, hottest technology into their site. I think the better approach is to look at what you are trying to accomplish and then see what fits best. Many times, there are ways to make something function better using AJAX or some other new technologies. Other times, however, a low-tech solution can be as good or perhaps better.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
frank3

Default Outstanding!

Spencer, that is the most cogent response I could imagine. Thanks.

I have used a similar question to others (in some other fora) in similar, but different discussions. When I ask them about somethig as mundane as selling shoes they suddenly get vague and dismissive. One in particular even went so far as to say that a shoes site is not a good cantidate for "stickiness".

I do believe that the new web incarnations are the coming thing. Just how it will affect us all is something I don't know. And, that is a question that will need answering in the next few years. We all will be affected in some way.

I see the obvious. The techy, trendy, social interactive sites are using the new technologies to advantage. These users are a subset of the total web presence and may well represent the wave of the future.

I deal in mundania. The users looking for items that I promote are a much larger subset of web users. They are looking for specific items they need in their every day life, and they are in a hurry. Perhaps they want to get their new frock bought so they can go to the newest social site and play a while

I haven't dabbled in the techy/trendy sites, and probably won't. I have too much fun trying to beat the other guy that sells the same thing as I do.

I agree with you that the web 2.0 (or 3.5 or whatever) applications would not be very effective in mundania sales situation. Further, I think it would be detrimental. I don't want my shoppers to lose focus on the shopping aspect.

Your ideas for a low tech solution are very good. Ideas like that could only help with the sales process. I may well adopt some of these ideas in the future.

Let's take this thread a little further along down the road. Let's imagine a future web. Let's say 3 to 5 years from now. How will the 'new web' affect your business? Will you be a user or a provider?

The acceptance level of rss feeds seems to be on the increase. Some of the major players are providing desktop solutions that show promise.

Is the web browser that we now use doomed?

Will the future shopper open a desktop application and select the merchant or product that they want?

Will manufacturers start to deliver goods and merchandise directly to the consumer, bypassing the middle layers?

How is web 2.0 affecting your business right now?

Frank
(Sorry for the long post. I get wound up sometimes)
Old 02-14-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
trabaho

Default Web 2.0

I thought the real direction of Web 2.0 is to bring us closser to Tim Beners-Lee vision of Semantic Web.

read this article but newsweek had the best one but couldn't find it.

Scientific American Semantic Web:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...A9809EC588EF21

Last edited by trabaho; 02-14-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:41 AM   #9
suresk

Frank,

A few observations -

1) There is still a ton of money in "Mundania" and I think that is where the majority of eCommerce will stay for some time. Indeed, it may be there forever, Mundania will just shift slowly over time.

2) Some of the most tech-oriented websites, such as Slashdot or TheServerSide, use little or no Web 2.0 technologies. I don't know what conclusions to draw from this, but it is interesting that sites that have perhaps the most web-savvy users are using relatively "old" technology.

3) It is very difficult to tell what will happen in 5 or even 3 years from now. As with all other predictions of the future though, I doubt we'll see any massive, jarring changes, but instead hundreds or thousands of small ones. I think we'll probably be better at using the technologies we have now. I don't think the browser will be gone - but I definitely think we'll see a lot of RIA technologies (such as Laszlo or Flex) that run within the browser.

Quote:
Will the future shopper open a desktop application and select the merchant or product that they want?

Will manufacturers start to deliver goods and merchandise directly to the consumer, bypassing the middle layers?
Well, I think we are seeing something very similar to this already. When you order something online, more and more it will be shipped to you from the manufacturer, even if you purchase from a regular store. Many companies have very advanced Just-In-Time ordering & inventory systems - many large companies such as Dell operate in such a manner that they have at most a few hours worth of inventory at any given time. Many online stores you purchase from offer thousands of products but have absolutely no inventory whatsoever.

Further, economic theory tells us that, as participants obtain more information about the market, the market itself becomes more efficient. The massive amounts of information on the internet, as it becomes more organized, can help consumers obtain more information about the market, thus making it more efficient. Does this mean that middle-men will be cut out completely? The global nature of the market (ie, most of the stuff we buy is produced in another country) makes this difficult in the short run, but over longer periods of time (decades perhaps), I would expect middle-men to slowly die off. In the short run, it certainly makes middle-men more efficient.

Quote:
How is web 2.0 affecting your business right now?
Well, the AJAX and Flex consulting work is helping my business As a provider of these services, it gives me a whole new area to market my knowledge, products, and services. Other than that, it is just something really cool
Old 02-15-2006, 03:17 AM   #10
frank3

Default Great reply

Yessir. A great reply.

I agree with you on most of the points. The ones where I don't are in the realm of speculation, so don't really matter.

Your point about the "tech-oriented websites" not going wild on the web2.0 techy stuff is a validation of my belief (at this point---I'm still trying to get a handle on this stuff). I believe that most of the buzz about web2.0 is fad.

I never have been in favor of change simply for the sake of change. I'm all for any change that makes something safer, cheaper, easier, etc. So, on that basis I say...come on web2.0.

Frank
Old 02-15-2006, 03:41 AM   #11
frank3

Default Good find trabaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabaho
I thought the real direction of Web 2.0 is to bring us closser to Tim Beners-Lee vision of Semantic Web.

read this article but newsweek had the best one but couldn't find it.

Scientific American Semantic Web:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...A9809EC588EF21
What a great article. Thanks for that link.

What is web 2.0? Hard to say for sure. The semantic web can certainly be part of it. Maybe at this point web 2.0 is like art. More in the eye of the webmaster than a clear definition.

Thanks to your posting of the links upthread I have found more information that you may be interested in. First, though, here is a snippet of the wikipedia page on web 2.0:
Quote:
......However, a consensus on its exact meaning has not yet been reached........Proponents of the Web 2.0 concept say that it differs from early web development, retroactively labeled Web 1.0, in that it is a move away from static websites, the use of search engines, and surfing from one website to the next, to a more dynamic and interactive World Wide Web. Others argue that the original and fundamental concepts of the WWW are not actually being superseded. Skeptics argue that the term is little more than a buzzword, or that it means whatever its proponents want it to mean in order to convince their customers, investors and the media that they are creating something fundamentally new, rather than continuing to develop and use well-established technologies.
Here is the link for the full article:wiki/Web_2.0

Here is a link to a vast amount of web 2.0 information: programmableweb.com

I think that the real web 2.0 is made up of methods of creating convenient channels. The channels being open for your viewers to use as they want. Whether it is with Ajax and Ruby, or XML, or any of the other applications available, it is still about enhancing the user experience.

I said before that ignorance is bliss. Thanks to you and Spencer I have a great store of information to absorb and filter. This may turn out to be a long term adventure in learning.

Trying to grasp all of the potential of the web 2.0 concept is about as easy as holding a greased pig. With one hand.

Frank
Old 02-15-2006, 03:51 AM   #12
suresk

On a side note - One positive trend I have noticed more and more recently is the speed at which information moves on the internet these days.

It used to be you'd throw a page up and wait a month (or longer) for it to get indexed, and then wait quite a bit longer to see any meaningful traffic.

Lately, I have been doing a few tech-related blogs, and on several occaisions have written about a particular product and often within HOURS I'll have someone from the company that makes the product responding to my blog post. Also, I recently endorsed a guy running for the Senate in Utah in 2006, and had a response from him within a day or so.

This is a really good trend I think, and it happens because of Web 2.0 ideas like ping services, technorati, etc.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
vijayalakshmi

web 2.0 blog is the easily way to getting more back links in the website in below i have mention some of the web 2.0 blogs list it well be useful to all the user ..
* blog spots
*blogger
*posterous
*live journal
*type pad
*word press
*my blog log
vijayalakshmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #14
ziaht
Member.

ya web 2.0 and web 3.0 is really good option.
web 2.0 It is flexible, versatile and lucid, and most of designer comfortable with web 2.0
ziaht is offline   Reply With Quote