Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default Yahoo Publisher Network is banning publishers

Yahoo has been rather selective in selecting publishers for beta testers. But right now they are mainly interested in United States publishers with United States traffic. They want as little international traffic as possible. They would consider no international traffic to be ideal. The advertisers in the beta are United States based and interested in United States traffic.

Here is the e-mail that Yahoo has been sending in larger quantities recently.
Quote:
We have terminated your Yahoo! Publisher Network beta account for breach of the Terms and Conditions and/or Program Policies. Your breach includes but may not be limited to sending traffic from users located outside the United States, in violation of Section 11(l) of the Terms and Conditions. In accord with Section 6(a), we will not include such amounts in your payment. We have refunded amounts generated from the non-US users to our advertisers and will pay any remaining amount owed to you in accord with the Terms and Conditions.
Yahoo won't pay for the interenational traffic they didn't like, but they will still pay other money owed to them.

No, Yahoo didn't send that e-mail to me.

Some believe that Yahoo will allow some international traffic but will ban those with what they consider too much international traffic, and they really don't like it when there is an unusually large percentage of clicks from international traffic.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Gogi

Thing that makes me say "Umm"...
What's the problem with international trafic? Don't they have a possibility to show default banners specified by publishers?
Gogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Bondings

They are in beta phase and only have ads for the USA. They allow a small amount of traffic from other countries, but not much.

It shouldn't be hard to install something like phpAdsNew and only show the Yahoo ads to visitors from the USA.

Also, apparantly, banned publishers will get back into Yahoo when they open their network for international publishers/ads. (at least that's what I heard about it)
Bondings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
dognose

Hmm. I see they tried to send a payment today, but it errored out " Check Error - State Unknown"
I'm not sure if they mean a problem with my billing address, or some weird state in the program?? ?
dognose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
Larwee

GeekGuide

dognose that is actually common and it is a good thing even though it sounds strange. That is the wording before a payment is received.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Poor Yahoo. This isn't going to help their tech cred.

Unless these publishers are being banned for other reasons and having Yahoo use the international clause an an excuse, YPN really should have simply placed geotargeting limits on the system. They could still test commercial placement in the US that way, while throwing in some branding ads, PSAs or publisher-selected defaults to fill international inventory. That way, they not only keep beta publishers happy (ie, good word of mouth on boards like this), but they passively encourage publishers to impose server-side geotargeting themselves, in the knowledge that Yahoo won't pay them for non-US displays.

As it stands, this round of terminations is likely to make advertisers nervous about Yahoo's ability to geotarget and to accurately control zones through their new platform, while also leaving some beta publishers with a bad aftertaste that could turn them away from the program for months.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
esoomllub
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

IMO, they've been beta long enough now to handle geotarteting in some manner other than booting sites that are generating too large of an international traffic percentage.

I've all but pulled YPN from my sites for now as the 3 times I ran their ads for a couple weeks they were not providing relevant ads. On my recipe sites, I never once saw an add relating to food.

I actually expect them to drop me for lack of impressions.
esoomllub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:57 AM   #8
Googledaily

Thumbs down

so yahoo is basically saying

Dear international beta testers, thank you for joing the beta testing program, with your help, among others, we now feel confident that our system is working an intended.

P.S. Your account has been terminated because we really don't need you anymore so we won't bear with your international traffic now. See ya.
Googledaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:30 AM   #9
Larwee

GeekGuide

Welcome to Geek/Talk, Googledaily.

I hope you enjoy being a member of the community.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
Googledaily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larwee
Welcome to Geek/Talk, Googledaily.

I hope you enjoy being a member of the community.
Thanks Larwee.
Googledaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 PM   #11
dave989
Member.

It's a very poor way of doing business. They take on publishers even if they have international traffic. They then find out that they have to much and then kick them out of the program. This is bad because the publishers have to then go though the whole of their site and change all the ads again.

On another forum, someone new that they had quite a bit of international traffic so they phoned yahoo up in person and asked them "will I get banned and loose my money for the amount of international traffic I have". The staff at Yahoo said "do not worry, your account won't be banned". A few days or weeks later his account got banned due to the amount of international traffic. He then contacted them about this and they said "don't worry your account is still going to be banned but you will still get your earnings pay with all the international traffic deducated and refunded back to the advertisers.

This is not a good way to handle business...
dave989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
alexplank

YPN is very responsive to publishers concerns. When a publisher signed up for the BETA, he agreed that he wouldn't give too much international traffic. YPN offers telephone support to high earning clients and I really like the fact that their employees read and post on forums like digitalpoint's.
alexplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #13
ticksoft

Yahoo use what was Overture and I've tried that recently. It offers little in the way of geotargeting - pretty sure the only option you have to geotarget the adverts is when you first sign up for an account.

Yahoo doesn't seem to think in the same global terms as Google, I would compare Yahoo more to Amazon in the way I see them working.
ticksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default Yahoo to help stop ads being shown outside USA

Yahoo hasn't given any details, but Yahoo representatives have said in public that Yahoo is working on something to help publishers to avoid showing YPN ads to visitors outside the United States since they do not want the ads to be shown to them. The Yahoo Publisher Network beta is for publishers with mainly United States traffic.

Many publishers have said they are having problems or it is too difficult for them to try to eliminate the traffice from outside the United States. As a result, Yahoo says they are going to try to help.

Yahoo didn't say when they will have this in place other than they will do it as soon as possible.