Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
frank3

Default Free anti virus scanner

I don't see any other category that this would fit in better, so here goes.

(Mods...move as required)

Do you get sick of the commercial anti virus aps that only give you a limited use time? Then they nag you to death to buy their stuff. Me too.

Check this one out.
ClamWin

Neat installer. Scheduler for runtime and auto updater. Works on IE and Outlook Express.

There is also a wrapper to make sure Firefox downloads are clean.
Here

Don't know if Netscape is also covered.

Be safe.

Frank
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivux
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Ive always like AVG from Grisoft for a free virus scanner. I am going to check out Clamwin though to see how it stacks up against AVG.

http://free.grisoft.com/
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
Larwee

GeekGuide

I am a very big AVG fan also. It is my first choice when it comes to free scanners.

ClaimWin might be good, I haven't really checked it out very much yet. One feature they mention they don't have is something that would be helpful to have
Quote:
Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner, that is, you need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware. Microsoft Outlook Addin, however will delete a virus-infected attachmen
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:15 AM   #4
funtoon

www.avast.com all the way, have been using it form last year and no problem of virus etc and it doesnt hog down your system.
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
frank3

You guys are sooooo cool.

For some reason I had in my mind that AVG was a server side solution.

AVG is better on my home pc. The download is longer, but the ap runs faster and uses fewer resources than ClamWin.

Larwee is also right about the real time scanner. It is much better.

The scheduler for AVG is not so precise as that of ClamWin, but plenty good enough for me.

Thanks,

Frank

P.S. look at those cool new smilies.....
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

AVG is amazing, as far as free scanners go.

I'm still using Norton on PC or two, but this is mainly just OEM legacy. Norton single handedly forced me to triple the RAM I had running on my laptop because it was so incredibly resource intensive at times, whereas I haven't encountered anywhere near as much trouble with bloated background processes while using AVG.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Jay | Canep Media

Norton on the PC... haven`t bothered to download AVG since there is no use for it.
On my mac however, I`ve not used one single virus scanner... Amazingly, never had any problems
Jay | Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote