Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
gophergas

Default I need CMS help

I'm ready to take my sites "to the next level," and I'm pretty sure I'll need a good CMS in order to accomplish it.

I know people have discussed CMS issues in various areas on this thread, but I haven't yet come across a good semi-comprehensive evaluation of the CMS options that are available out there. The more I look into it, the more befuddled I become.

Does anyone know of a good source for evaluating CMS programs, showing such things as

ease of installation
ease of template design
multi-site functionality
ease of customizing site index, search, and other features
security

Those are a few things that come to mind, but I'm sure there are other criteria that are just as important.

tia
-gopher
gophergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
iisbum

haven't seen a comprehensive guide like that. you'll probably be able to google reviews of individual CMS applications, that will mention the things you noted.

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

is a pretty good resource for evaulating CMSs, the comments give you an idea of trouble people are having.

they also let you try a lot of the CMS systems without having to install them yourself.

Mubs
iisbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
gophergas

That's a good place to start. Thanks. Do you know of anything that evaluates lower-priced (below $2,000) systems?

There's just so much out there, it's hard to get my head around all of it.
gophergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
iisbum

sorry i don't know of any thing like that.

i usually end up building a custom cms for my sites, but that is the advantage of being a programmer by day

Mubs
Old 01-25-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
iisbum

I guess a lot of people are wondering how to pick a CMS Slashdot just had an article about how to pick an open source one, but I do see stuff in there about closed source ones too:

http://developers.slashdot.org/artic...67256&from=rss

Mubs
Old 01-30-2006, 03:49 AM   #6
dojo

I have started using etomite. I was on nuke once and installed etomite weeks ago. I find it quite OK. and the mod rewrite option comes in handy. The template system is nice too, was able to put the forums theme on the main site with ease
dojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
ebusinesstutor

I've been very pleased with my ebusiness tutor site. It was set up using an opensource cms system using Geeklog.
http://www.geeklog.net

Lots of features including search friendly urls, event calendar, built in RSS, article management, static pages, links area and more. The templates that come with it are fairly basic so I had a designer rework it to look prettier.

<<You can setup a signature in your control panel profile section>>

Last edited by Czar; 02-07-2006 at 10:41 PM.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote