Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
rayn3

Default Lyrics/tab take down notice.

Hi,
I own a guitartabs/lyrics site actually a few.I got a take down letter for one of them on the 20th and the 21st. One for the lyrics and one for the tabs.I noticed olga is down also (not sure how long they have been down). I got the exact same letter that they point to from there main page although the one they point to was dated 2006. I was just wondering if any one else has gotten this letter. In the last week or so.
rayn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

This sweep appears to have been in progress for a while now. The start of this movement was documented in the following Geek/Talk thread:
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29555

Clearly, sites that wish to continue competing for tab and lyric audiences will need to ensure that they are properly licensed in order to proceed. That could provide a good opportunity for those that do shift to the right side of the law, as this crackdown will continue to chip away at illegal competitors who operate in the space, which should drive greater audiences to the stable players.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
rayn3

That is a good thread. But the last input was 2006.
I was wondering if any one had a gotten a letter like this recently. Eveything that I find about it seems to be from 2006 not 2008. Just thought this to be a good place to ask as there seems to be a lot of people who run similar sites that post here.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

It's an ongoing process. Cease and decist letters have been going out every week since the initiative began, so your situation does relate back to the posts you were reading in 2006.

Publishing tabs and/or lyrics without permission is still illegal and its in the interests of legitimate tab/lyrics sites and music industry groups to continue applying pressure on unlicensed players as an ongoing process.

It really goes without saying that your best bet going forward is still to operate on the right side of the law and the right side of the industry. Otherwise, the risk is such that anything you might be earning now could all be taken away from you (and then some) if you make the decision to keep operating illegally.

I hope that you find these comments constructive.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
rayn3

Oh,
Did not realise that it was an ongoing thing.Never paid much attention to it until now.
I find the comments very constructive.
I have no doubt the the questionable part of the site must be shut down or I could lose all revenue instead of just a portion.
I honestly thought that this had all been hacked out and that the tabs were considerd interpretations of a song so the copyright thing was void. Looks like I was wrong.I would still be interested to see if any one else got one of these laitley.
You have told me things I did not know though.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
thegauntlet

record labels and music publishers never really cared about the tabs and lyrics sites on the web. But with declining music revenue, they have begun to take notice. It is near impossible to license yourself through all of the music publishers out there, but there are some big ones.

As for lyrics, you basically have no recourse except go legit. There is case law regarding tab sites however and a court did rule that tabs (for the most part) are instructional and commited from ear. OLGA actually won an early round against the music publishers, but they haven't been able to continue due to legal fees as the music publishers kept appealing and basically won by default.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
rayn3

Thats kind of what I thought.I guess the main problem is the lyrics that are printed with the tabs.That is probably what got me noticed.
I pulled all the tabs and lyrics down a few days back.
Thanks for the input it has been very good.
I don't get why I got the little letter from the big guys.When there are so many sites out there that are way bigger then my little site. The site that got the letter had around 800 tabs on it.I have 4 others that have between 1 and 6 thousand tabs each and more traffic, but not a word about them. Kinda funny.
Probably just going to get out of the tab thing alltogether.(to much risk I think)

Last edited by rayn3; 03-07-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: missed a word.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
dickcheney

I just read a similiar thread about this
I did not know OLGA had been hit, they were a great source of info
I know everybody had got to make their money and what not, but this really is not the way to go about it
Musicians who play the music of others can often drive sales of the original's music, but if tab sites and lyric sites are shut down, I as a musician will prob avoid learning those songs, which will diminish the amount of exposure for the original artists
Is it ok to blame Metallica for all this?
dickcheney is offline   Reply With Quote