Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs > Making Money with Regional Affiliate Programs and Networks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
denasio

Default My own affiliate program?

Hello,

I have a site that provides free polls for webmasters. The polls are free because they are supported through advertising revenues. Members who wants an advertising-free service can pay a small monthly fee for an upgrade.

I've been thinking about creating my own affiliate program for a long time now. I don't want to make use of the services out there like ShareASale. I am thinking about giving affiliate members 10% per poll upgrade and something like 10-25 cents per free poll.

What are the chances that people will abuse the system, for instance by creating lots of dummy e-mail accounts and signing up for a free poll? 40 dummy accounts with a free poll is 40 x 10-25 cents = 4 - 10 dollars! Do you guys see a problem here? Are there people out there crazy enough to do this?
denasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow Re: My own affiliate program?

Quote:
Originally posted by denasio
What are the chances that people will abuse the system, for instance by creating lots of dummy e-mail accounts and signing up for a free poll? 40 dummy accounts with a free poll is 40 x 10-25 cents = 4 - 10 dollars! Do you guys see a problem here? Are there people out there crazy enough to do this?
Yes, you will be cheated. It starts in Junior High School and becomes a "sport".

Quick thoughts:

1. Affiliate programs which do not anticipate "cheaters" will always fail!

2. Affiliate programs which do not deploy measures to thwart cheaters and combine this with a strong audit procedures and plenty of terminations will fail!

3. You could require a click back from the email to start the ball rolling. Those that don't click back are automatically "blocked/banned" so they can't try it again.

4. The critical issue with a lot of Affiliate Programs is this: is the real potential for a Publishers revenue enticing/high enough to attract a large enough number of compliant sites which generate enough sign ups on their sites to sustain your business plan. Is their enough money in the realationship to make it worth while for compliant publishers.

4. Assuming it is and I hope so ...you can still exspect a significant portion of your early launch sign ups to be either cheaters looking for a new sucker and or very low quality sites in combination with those that have already been banned from other networks. Chakita Banna is experiencing this

Edit 5. If you choose not to use a reliable and great Network like Brians ShareASale you are going to have a far more difficult time. Respectfully, just WHO are you and why should I ever trust you to accurately "count" let alone pay me. Unless you are a well known "brand" and or a principal with a lot of "visibility" like for instances our leader "Czar", most of these types of programs don't work out.

On the other hand, with Brian and ShareAsale you benifit from the fine reputation, the Publisher is protected by the Network, word of mouth good stuff about the Network paying Publishers, terminating flaky Merchants, and a swift kicks in the rear end OUT of the Network for the Spyware slime bags

I may have gone beyond your original thoughts and question but I hope I have helped you.

Good luck

Last edited by Steve_S; 12-13-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
eide

Hi

I agree with Steve_S, you should be twice carefull about security.

I'm familiar with tracking features of affiliate software as I work in this field.

I think you have 2 options to identify cheater subscribers / affiliates.

Basic method of tracking is by cookies - if somebody does not have tracking cookie placed - and no other tracking is enabled (e.g. by IP or by session) - he won't get a sale.

You can:

1. Automatically delete tracking cookie from visitor's computer right after he submitted poll (must be a feature of tracking solution)

2. Automatically decline / delete sales comming from same IP adress.

Implementing these 2 features cheaters would have to do following to get commission for their fraudlent poll votes:
Click their affiliate links before each vote + connect from different IP adress (computer).

Also implementing your own cookies and making "accept cookies by visitor browser" mandatory to be able to vote in your poll. This could provide some additional protection.

Mike
eide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
Larwee

GeekGuide

Thanks for your comments, eide, and welcome to Geek/Talk.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb

Mike is spot on and it's great to see some posts that deal with the CPA/CPL sector. Respectfully, I hope this sets a trend for GV in 2006 since I'm rather tired with the obsession/addiction with Google plus their are so many other ways to monetize a site which DO NOT involve all things Google/YPN/MS/Chikita et all.

Please excuse me if I take this thread up the quality and diversity meter just a tad

If you are serious about the CPA/CPL space you must be prepared to deal with "Commision Theft" In essence, the originator of the sale/action and that would be the compliant publisher who initiated the action will not get credit for the sale/action.

This deplorable act is a trivial matter for criminals to accomplish with some networks and scripts since we have an entire industry of Spyware/Slimeware/. It works like this:

1. I go to one of the Spyware vendors and pay a little $ to launch my pop which overwrites the real/legitimate affiliates tracking procedure at a given point in time with my very own tracking code. I'm the criminal stealing the Commision from the hard working and compliant Publisher.

2. Same case but a different example. I use the Spyware low lifes to steal a Commision on Dells "cart" and make a cool 2% on the deal and effectively rob the legitimate Publisher of this money. Natch, the Spyware low life could care less as all they want is money for a new Campaign. Dell effectively pays the wrong affiliate and if they are smart about it, they might catch it but so many Advertisers just want the sale and who the "spiff" actually goes to is often one of the last things on their mind.

3. Some CPA/CPL Networks have made great strides in combating this deplorable action which normally involves human interventon. Other Networks could care less and turn a "blind eye" My sence of this issue is that you are better off using an established Network which works very hard at combating this fraud. CJ has improved a great deal in this area so my hats off to them. Brian of ShareASale has always been proactive on this kind of crime.

Perhaps their are scripts ?? which gather enough data for a seasoned crime fighter to manually review things, poke around, and either approve the sales commision or decline it. Gathnering the data is NEVER enough. You need an experienced human who thinks like a criminal to really make this work.

My appolagies, Iv'e gone beyond the original action in this thread which was a "poll" but hopefully provided enough texture to help others who may wish to run a CPA/CPL program.

Good luck
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
ajscottsr

Quote:
2. Automatically decline / delete sales comming from same IP adress.
This is not necessarily sound advice...

I was in the affiliate program/management business for years and I can tell you that major ISPs like AOL use proxy servers which mean that all of their millions of users appear to come from a relatively small number of IP addresses.

It's particularly frustrating dealing with those proxies and always kept us on our toes when it came to security. Some of the proxies pass through a client IP address in the headers (this helps) but its not always present. A lot of larger ISPs are going to proxy servers (which I absolutely detest both as a surfer and as a webmaster).

My real point is that if you automatically exclude duplicate IP's, you risk turning away good sales and good commissions and will lose affiliates and credibility. That should be a good "fraud detection flag" that you review regularly but be aware its not sufficient to merely block/decline all such transactions.

The good news is AOL publishes its PROXY IP ranges so you can make special rules to those, but AOL isn't the only signficantly sized player in this market.

And as 3G cellular data services come online, they almost all use proxy servers so you will see more and more of this as time goes.
ajscottsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
bloomtools1

Nice information about affiliate marketing. One can start off with the basic guide.
bloomtools1 is offline   Reply With Quote