Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
mitra

Default Intro with questions.

Hi,

I'm Mitra, new to webprogramming.I'm pursuing my BS in Computer Science and Mathematics at Cleveland State University, in Cleveland, Ohio. I'm in the process of creating my first website for a Doctor. In the process my prof. recomended me this site.

For the past few hours I've been reading different threads but I still have a few questions, so please consider this as a intro and a requesting info thread. Being a newbie to Internet Programming, in the sense that I have no clue as to what to look for when shopping for web hosting. I need a dedicated IP, since I want the FTP facility for uploading photos and ASP pages. Support ASP, since I want to create the pages in C# or VB.net. The second major question I have is, is it possible to have the site with FTP and ASP support without a dedicated IP. Please suggest some good web hosting links.

-Mitra
mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
Jan

Administrator

Hello mitra Welcome to the forum.

You can post your questions in one of the hosting forums so the hosting savvy people can help you

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=45 for shared/reseller hosting.
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=34 for dedicated/VPS hosting.

Good luck with your planned ventures!
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
mitra

Thanks a lot Jan.

-Mitra

mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
Worthen
Pending Review

welcome aboard Mitra

you won't need a dedicated ip for ftp access, but many plans do provide a dedicated ip

i won't offer any more tech advice as that's not my area and your host or someone else here will be gald to answer those tech questions

as far as good host ... there are several mentioned at this forum and you can use the search feature to find more info, but 2 good for a beginner would be

http://fluidhosting.com/comparison.php
http://site5.com/

actually these 2 offer plans not just for beginners but for larger sites as well. the former also offers vps and dedicateds and I'm not sure about the second.

Both of these make the list recommended by the site admin here, so it's not just my opinion

hope it helps
Worthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Of the two superb hosts that Worthen mentioned, FluidHosting is better known for hosting Windows-based machines. If you want a quick and easy answer, then, I'd recommend that you grab a shared hosting package from FluidHosting. They should serve you well.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote