Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2001, 01:05 PM   #1
Conker
Member.

Unhappy Message boards

Are they easy to run? I'm curently very intererested in them.

Yesterday i got an EZboard just to see how to run one and was wondering if UBBs and vBs are like EZboards in that they have an control center where you just click your desired options. EZboard was extremely simple and easy to customize.

Putting out the money for a vB is no problem to me, i just don't want to order it and find out i need to know programming like php, cgi, or something. So are they easy to run and setup or not? Easy enough for a beginner like me?

I was looking at phpBB and it was talking about setting up MySQL files and stuff and i have zero experience with that stuff. Any advice and knowledge needed.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 01:48 PM   #2
malibber

Unhappy

The answer is that it depends. Initially both UBB and vB are easy to set-up and maintain. However, once you start to generate a moderate level of traffic the expense and knowledge required to keep a BBS going increases significantly. The main trouble area you run into with vB is once you hit 15-40 concurrent users (the exact number depends on the host) you will be asked to leave. Then you will have the expense of a dedicated server, and have to have the expertise to set the server up and keep it going.
malibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 02:26 PM   #3
Conker
Member.

Smile

ehh, doesn't sound good. With a free board like EZboard, does it start to majorly lag when there is a lot of users at one time or a lot of messages?
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 03:00 PM   #4
funpage

Unhappy

How about trying http://www.ikonboard.com it's fairly simple to set up, and it's free!
funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 03:57 AM   #5
Tetraboy

Unhappy

phpBB and Vbulletin both require some knowlde of php/MySQL really you should start learning how to install and configre cgi/php/MySQL it's the next step after learning html.. I personnaly use phpBB on about 5 sites on my network and I'm pleased.
Tetraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 03:58 AM   #6
Tetraboy

Unhappy

UBB will take knowlede of CHMOD and more. I prefer phpBB out of both...
Old 05-10-2001, 04:33 AM   #7
SGA

Unhappy

malibber,

What exactly are you talking about with the 15-40 concurrent users. Does that mean 15-40 users online at once or 15-40 simultaneaus posts or 15-40 simultaneaus downloads. I was under the impression the vB was much better than the UBB with high traffic boards. I am in the process of switching my UBB with the vB. I do have a dedicated server but this still worrries me a little. I have over 6,000 members and have periods of extreme high activity. My host said one time earlier this year we had gotten 40 hits in a second. Will I have problems with a vB?

[This message has been edited by SGA (edited 05-10-2001).]
SGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 04:46 AM   #8
WildComputer

Unhappy

I would be extremely cautious of ikonboard

It looks great, works well, but the version that I had, had several serious security holes.

I am not sure if this still applies to the last version

------------------
Sunil Tanna
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 03:13 PM   #9
Kathy

Unhappy

I have a message board with over 11,000 members...and I love VBulletin. I have no knowledge of PHP with the exception of learning to add a mysql database to my server.

All the features are accessed in a control panel...and the templates are easy to customize using html.

I started on a shared server, went to semi dedicated server and now have a dedicated....my message board can be a busy place.

Before I had my own boards, I started on EZboards....and we grew like crazy and I wanted a share of the advertising my boards were generating. Then I bought a UBB and within 3 months, I bought VBulletin and haven't looked back. It is fast, easy to handle and learn.

[This message has been edited by Kathy (edited 05-10-2001).]
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 04:03 PM   #10
Tetraboy

Unhappy

Ikonboard = HUGE SECURITY WHOLE
UBB = Cool but resource hog
Vbulletin = Prob. best payed one
phpBB = Best free one. Maybe even better than the payed ones.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:44 PM   #11
malibber

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by SGA:
malibber,

What exactly are you talking about with the 15-40 concurrent users. Does that mean 15-40 users online at once or 15-40 simultaneaus posts or 15-40 simultaneaus downloads. I was under the impression the vB was much better than the UBB with high traffic boards. I am in the process of switching my UBB with the vB. I do have a dedicated server but this still worrries me a little. I have over 6,000 members and have periods of extreme high activity. My host said one time earlier this year we had gotten 40 hits in a second. Will I have problems with a vB?

[This message has been edited by SGA (edited 05-10-2001).]

I am talking about concurrent users logged into your board at the same time. If they are just sitting there doing nothing then it won’t matter, but if they are posting, searching, reading it will. Right now my average is 15-20 concurrent users online. I have a shared server, and I am getting ready to move to semi-dedicated server. Back when I was on vB 1.1.3 someone posted a link to my vB on a very big BBS, and all of the sudden 200-300 people were pounding to get in at the same time. The server could not handle it and my host was not happy with me. I was able to convince them to keep me on their server by saying it was a freak occurrence. I know three fairly large boards (20,000 members) recently had to revert back from vB 2.0 to what they were using before. Two went back to UBB and one went back to vB 1.1.6. I know at times when I have 30 concurrent users on and there is a hot thread my server load will creep up into the 10.0 range. The server has been optimized (as much as a shared one can be) for vB. In fact I hired a guy that was an expert at the stuff to thoroughly go though it. He found a lot found dup indexes and records.

Before I hired him things were getting really bad. I was running 1.1.5 and one night I had 40 concurrents on and saw the board was really dogging. I checked my load and it was 200. Needless to say no host is going to keep you around when you site is doing that to the server. I shut the board down and called for help.

malibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 08:51 PM   #12
ezclan

Unhappy

ubb uses text files to store all the posts. this is a REAL resource hog. phpBB uses a mysql database and is much faster.

I just converted last month and have not looked back.

------------------
Ezclan: Online Game Sites

http://www.ezclan.com
ezclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 04:22 AM   #13
Kathy

Unhappy

Oh, let me add an additional plus to VBulletin. In the new version 2, there is a feature for activating gzip. This is the ability to use this feature installed on your server to compress all the files even more.

Gzip was installed on my server and then enabled on my VB. It cut all my resources by tons.

Its a good thing http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 09:19 AM   #14
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

i'm with Kathy http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

vB has been great for my anime community and like kathy i started with ezboard ~ 200 members and 39,000 posts in 10 months

now for the last 11 months on vB i average anywhere between 30 - 260 concurrent members and around 2,200 new posts/day

vB version 2's gzip function cuts my pages bandwidth comsumption by up to 90%!

i then installed mod_gzip http://www.remotecommunications.com/apache/mod_gzip/ on my server to compress html and cgi pages as well saving me another 35% in bandwidth

if you go with vbulletin also look into APC cache to speed things up and lower cpu resources with php scripts - http://apc.communityconnect.com/

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment[*]PHP, MySQL, vBulletin, hosting and server admin info, tips & tidbits
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 09:25 AM   #15
Tetraboy

Unhappy

phpBB supports gzip too.