Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Amish Patel

Default Hurricane Digital Media ******* Me - My *Long* Story

I've worked with pretty much every advertiser there is to work with over the past 10 years, but today was the first time I've ever had the chance to deal with <Snipped inflamatory language> - CEO of Hurricane Digital Media: David Eastbrook.

Here is my story:

I started using Hurricane in May with one website and was earning fairly good revenue, and the publisher support was seemingly good. This continued and by last month, I had 5 sites added to my account. Revenue statistics for those interested:

Site Breakout 9 2005 765.76 11/10/2005
Site Breakout 8 2005 1852.78 10/1/2005
Site Breakout 7 2005 2225.03 9/2/2005
Site Breakout 6 2005 2019.44 8/1/2005
Site Breakout 5 2005 649.7 7/2/2005

Now this is where the real story begins. In August, I applied for a seperate account with Hurricane as I wanted the co-owner of my new website to have access to this and basically seperate things from which I owned 100%.

In the month of September, I went on a 3 day business trip and in those 3 days - my co-owner thought it would be clever to commit fraud against Hurricane and stack banners on a page to increase our revenue (this is for the seperate account) and therefore his 50% share.

Upon returning:

Code:
"Steven R. Christensen"
steve@hurricanedigitalmedia.com> wrote:

Your Hurricane Publisher Network account has been terminated due to violations of our terms and conditions.  Your ad delivery has been suspended.

We have a zero tolerance policy for malicious violation of our terms and
conditions.  Please remove all ad code from your site.  Payment will be
made for impressions delivered through 9/12/2005. Payments will not be
made for the period of recorded violation.

Sincerely,

Steven Christensen, CTO
Hurricane Digital Media LLC
6320 Monona Dr.
Madison, WI  53716
Phone:  608-222-1001
mobile:  608-695-0708
steve@hurricanedigitalmedia.com
 http://www.hurricanedigitalmedia.com
I was obviously shocked at what happened and eventually found out that for 3 days, impressions had been fraudelently generated. Needless to say, I released my co-owner and accepted full responsibility for his actions and accepted that my other site with the seperate account was no longer in the network. Below are payment stats for what I was owed for this account:

Site Breakout 9 2005 269.7 11/4/2005
Site Breakout 8 2005 1053.42 10/1/2005

My other account with 5 sites was fine and still running ads normally and earning revenue. Now here's when I noticed something was wrong. I was yet to receive the July payment from my normal account which was supposedly sent out 9/2/2005.

I emailed Steven who said he would follow up with David.... he sent this on 9/23:

Code:
Amish,

Your payment was posted this week. You should have it very shortly.

Best,

David Eastbrook

Hurricane Digital Media, LLC
6320 Monona Dr.
Suite 414
Madison, WI 53716

ph: 608-222-1001
I waited and still nothing.... It got to 10/4 and I had received nothing. I emailed David personally and asked him what was going on, below are his replies:

Code:
If our bank has it not cashed, I'll void the check sent and issue
another today. 

David Eastbrook

6320 Monona Dr.
Suite 414
Madison, WI 53716

---

Just checked, will post a replacement check in today's mail. Apologies
for the delay.

David Eastbrook

6320 Monona Dr.
Suite 414
Madison, WI 53716

---

I'll try to get it UPSed or something. You're in the UK, right?

David Eastbrook

6320 Monona Dr.
Suite 414
Madison, WI 53716

Soon after these emails, my main account was cancelled for poor performance as I had basically stopoped serving Hurricane ads due to poor rates. I had no problem with this as I would still get all the money owed.

Around 2 weeks passed and nothing. By this point I was now owed for July AND August on my proper account and August's payment from the account where the 3 days fraud had taken place.

I emailed and nothing - I decided to phone HDM and spoke to David. He informed me they were having cash flow problems, but would keep me informed. I thought that's fair enough...

Still heard nothing and phoned again a week or so later - David now informed me that all webmasters documented as commiting fraud were having all payments temporarily banned until they consulted with their legal team (load of BS if you ask me). He also told me that my check that was supposed to be sent on 9/2 for $2225.03 was actually sitting on his desk. Strange as it had supposedly been sent once.... voided, re-issued... and then UPS'd for a second time. Anyway, again, he said he'd let me know what was going on. Note that the first thing David told me when I called him up this time was that he was trying to get somebody in jail for fraud they had commited on HDM - I wonder why I was told that? Perhaps to scare me and stop me bugging them for the money I was owed during their critical financial period?

So last week I email David and tell him I don't really want to call America from my cell and spend ridicilous amounts per minute trying to get answers.... surprise surprise... no response.... yesterday I send a pretty emotional email trying to get answers about what was going on, and again, nothing.

SO..... around 2 hours ago I was angry enough to pick up my cell and hear the news I've basically known for weeks on end anyway - Hurricane were retaining all my money and never planned to tell me. While I cannot be sure, I would be willing to wager a lot that their current financial plight is the reason why I am not getting anything and they THINK they have their justification in those 3 days of fraud through my seperate account.

The conversation itself was very very interesting and I only wish you guys could hear a recording of it, because if that is how a CEO of an advertising company is supposed to act, I am very surprised.

David stuttered, was unsure of what he was saying/refering to and generally tried to direct all blame on me in this matter. Hell, he didn't even seem to know what HDM's own publisher agreements had in them! I asked him straight up to tell me yes or no whether I would get any of the money owed to me - guess the answer? I also asked how the company could be so unprofessional as to basically lie to me and also have him, the CEO, claim my check had been sent TWICE when infact it never had - "mistakes" apparently.

I was obviously angry and said that if my money could not be retained in my bank account, I would retain it through letting fellow publishers know exactly how this guy and his company generally operated. His reaction? "If you want to start a war with us, go for it."

I also asked him if he was basically telling me to get lost. Without hesitation, I was given a yes. Charming.

Do I want a war with Hurricane Digital Media? No.

Do I mind that I won't get $6,000+ that is owed to me? No.

Do I mind that I was lied to and treated like a scapegoat for their problems? Hell yes.

Again, I accept full responsibility for those 3 days of fraud and I still regret working with the guy that did it. In over 10 years, working with pretty much every advertiser, I've never been done for fraud and have never had money retained from me apart from when UGO went bust.

I urge fellow publishers to think very VERY carefully about giving a lot of your inventory to Hurricane. David also told me in this last conversation that "there doors were just about open" and they had got past the critical financial difficulties - somehow I just don't believe that, do you?

P.S. I asked David why the other account was getting punished - I told him to do an audit for all the revenue that had been earnt there as there had been ZERO fraud there. Apparently HDM and David only work on assumptions.

Last edited by Czar; 11-01-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
jodyswartz

Default Re: Hurricane Digital Media ******* Me - My *Long* Story

Quote:
Originally posted by Amish Patel

Do I mind that I won't get $6,000+ that is owed to me? No.

Wow really, if that happened to me for that amount I would mind it greatly and would go to war, But that's just me. I too have been with many Ad networks and sometimes it takes huge efforts to get paid when things go bad (as I found out with CMGI). But David posts here and maybe you will work it out.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
ccole
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Amish, if I were you I'd fill out an official complaint form. I've seen a lot of these kinds of problems fixed here at GV for just doing that.

Quote:
) The New Topic Subject field must say: "Complaint: xxx Company Name"
2) Your complete and full real name
3) The exact URL of your site where this issue occurred
Note: Adult links or gateways to same are not permitted. Contact the vendor privately. If your site is down your post is deleted and you are banned. Your site MUST resolve via a browser.
4) Your email address of record with the vendor in question
5) The exact nature and timing of your contact efforts via email and or phone.
6) The exact nature of your complaint. Devoid of profanity, efforts to defeat our filter, with your own facts and not here say. Please be civil, very specific, and adhere to our Posting Guidelines and our Rules.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Larwee

GeekGuide

Amish Patel, ccole made a nice point. There have been many issues resolved using this method.

This is all covered in Item 5 of the Posting Guide http://www.geekvillage.com/posting_guide_for_bb.htm

You would need to start a new thread for this. Once you start that official complaint thread members should only post if they can add something constructive to help in resolving the matter.

Hurricane Media does have a representative who is a Geek/Talk member.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
Amish Patel

Thanks guys I'll do that. Can an admin or somebody remove this particiular thread - thank you!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Amish,

Please also note that profanity and personall attacks are never permitted anywhere in this Community.

While I can appreciate your side of the issue, a civil and respectfull discourse is what we all strive for.

The direct link to the procedures which as others have pointed out, have a very long history of resolving issues. I hope you decide to avail yourself of this opportunity:

http://www.geekvillage.com/posting_g...r_bb.htm#item5

Note to Team Geek: Please lock this thread if you are so inclined.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread