Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
jlwcashflow

Question Business Models

I am going to have a site built around a database...and I can only think of two basic business models the main source of revenue would derive from. One where individuals purchase access to the actual database and the other where I would live off traffic...CPA/CPC/advertising. Is there a definitive guide to online business models? Am I missing anything? I hope so, because I like options and I don't feel like I have very many. My risk seems to rely on getting enough traffic that is willing to pay for access or enough traffic where others are willing to advertise with the side hope that an additional / statistical few will click some CPC/A type link$.

Thank you thus far for all the info I have gathered from this site,

v/r

JW
jlwcashflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb

What an interesting and thought provoking question JW

First of all lets go back to the basics which you may have already done so please just humor me

1. What revenue models are your competition using? This requires a reasonable investment in research via the major SE.

2. Next, lets assume you have already completed item 1. What is YOUR unique twist and or proposition that will be compelling enough for a guest to pay? Actaully, stating the focus/topic/data of your planned site would help all of us provide you with better guidence. No offence intended, but you face a rather steep curve if you exspect to generate significant profits from a paid membership model which provides access to this golden database full of compelling stuff. Assuming you have the goods as we say, you will still need to demonstrate the quality of the data via a free sample of sorts.

3. Many folks deploy a blend of revenue streams in a case like this: they sell their own adverts and run CPA/CPC/CPM deals on inventory they can't sell.

HTH and Good luck!
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
jlwcashflow

From the research I have performed, some sites are free, some sites are a hybrid by offering a teaser of free info with the lure to upgrade via purchased admission to data. I asked a similar quesiton to my web development team and they mentioned to offer the whole site for free for a few months...perform some site statistics to see what is working and what is not and go from there. I have a unique twist but only time will tell if the demand is high enough to purchase; never mind at what price...thats another nut to crack.

I am thinking of adding more content to the site which will help on a few area's I can think of (but this is also very time consuming...any suggestions?):
- More chances for SEO (keyword placement) opportunities
- More pages for adsense / adverts
- More opportunities for affiliate programs
- Increased chances in repeat viewing to help build up an opt-in email database

So, if I do not have "the goods" then is there a guide that I can understand monitizing options? Since I am new to this, there are lots of strategies that sound good...is there a logical or hierarcial path to monotizing a website? Hopefully it lists steps and/or try CPC prior to CPA or affiliates first for example.

v/r
JW
Old 03-19-2006, 07:51 AM   #4
jlwcashflow

I have decided to have some content written via elance.com solutions and was going to have keyword analysis included in the price. My thought is this. If the article written is 1000 words, it will most likely take up more than one page. Should the keyword analysis scope be per article or per web page?

JW
Old 03-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
tomattomat

I would say, it will be per article. Since your content is the same, then the 2 pages should have the same keyword analysis, no?
tomattomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
ebusinesstutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwcashflow
I am going to have a site built around a database...and I can only think of two basic business models the main source of revenue would derive from. One where individuals purchase access to the actual database and the other where I would live off traffic...CPA/CPC/advertising. Is there a definitive guide to online business models? Am I missing anything? I hope so, because I like options and I don't feel like I have very many. My risk seems to rely on getting enough traffic that is willing to pay for access or enough traffic where others are willing to advertise with the side hope that an additional / statistical few will click some CPC/A type link$.

Thank you thus far for all the info I have gathered from this site,

v/r

JW
Hello JW,

It would be easier to help if I had an even basic idea about what was in the database, but here are some ideas.

1. Subscriber List - you could offer a limited free access to the system to encourage people to sign up for your list. Then you can offer related products to your list on a regular basis, either ones you create yourself, or affiliate products. You can also sell advertising in your newsletter.

2. Info Products - you could create and sell additional info products relating to the topic the database is about. Ie. "How-to", DVDs, CDs or e-books.

<<Please set up your signature in your profile>>

Last edited by Jan; 03-22-2006 at 03:28 PM.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote