Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
thomor25

Default Has anyone seen a program that blocks banner ad blockers?

I am looking for a script or program I can install on my sites that can block banner blockers and force them to view a banner or prevent them from viewing the site unless they turn their blocker off.

The program I am looking for will record the number of times a banner ad was blocked and just monitor and do nothing, or it will block the person from viewing the page and tell them to turn their banner blocker off in order to view the page or force them to view the banner.

I run a huge site that gets thousands upon thousands of impressions a day and some people who use my free service feel the need to block the banners which is there to keep the service free. I would believe that a large, around 10-20% of my users are blocking banners.

I created a thread not long ago about this and a user here who owns http://www.adoutput.com said he was going to program one that is better then the one offered on their website as I just want to do banners and that one doesn't allow just banners it does popups and banners but they never did and alot of people were interested in it. I would gladly pay for such a program as it would llow my to recover lost revenue and the program will pay for itself in no time.

Here are the threads from before about this subject. http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=27168

Last edited by thomor25; 09-09-2005 at 06:49 AM.
thomor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
thomor25

THere has got to be someone who know something about this, I can't be the only one getting ripped off from ad/banner blockers who wants to do something about it.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:18 AM   #3
Pilatus

Look with the search function, I remeber there was some thread about this. Someone made something for this.
Yes normally I'm even more vague :P
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
studcent

I'm glad to see another post about this. You sure aren't the only one getting ripped off by this. These ad blockers are killing us. We need a solution to this. There are simply too many people who visit our site and block all the ads. I don't understand why the ad networks are not taking this problem seriously yet. It's a growing problem and is costing publishers and ad networks tons of money.
studcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Sashman

Thomor,

I apologize for dropping the ball on this. The consensus still says that general ad blockers do not greatly impact numbers. Providers must completely revamp their distribution method to circumvent general ad blockers. It's not worth it for them to do this for the 5-7% lift.

There is one thing you can do with your provider's permission as most general ads are blocked by domain name. This works best on text ads ..

There is a way to create canonical name (CNAME) records in a DNS (Dynamic name server). The CNAME allows you to create a lookup of an IP based on another domain name. This basically allows you to bypass filters created by programs such as adblock, as you can replace a provider's url with your own since your url will resolve to theirs on a DNS level.

An Example --

Let's pretend for a moment that anything from www.google.com was being blocked by ad blockers. Our site runs on www.advantalink.net and gets very lonely without it's content from www.google.com.

1. Get someone's permission.

2. Create A CNAME entry of google.advantalink.net that points to www.google.com in your DNS.

3. Replace all occurances of www.google.com with google.advantalink.net in your code and theirs.

Since google.advantalink.net resolves on the DNS level and not the local machine the google content will no longer be blocked if www.google.com is blacklisted.

Problems could occur if an url image or some other piece of data is hardcoded in the ad itself, as they would be blocked. Also, google.advantalink.net could be blacklisted itself .. time for google2.advanatalink.net. Wildcard blacklists *.advantalink.net shouldn't be a problem since the user actually wants to see your site at www.advantalink.net.

http://google.advantalink.net/ is an active cname pointing to google.

More info on CNAMES - http://www.rscott.org/dns/cname.html

Last edited by Sashman; 09-12-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Sashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
thomor25

Actually sashman i do need this program as I have all my ads being delivered from my ad server using phpadsnew and they block the server and they block the adsense server. This renders my banners non viewable. Some users or admins of my forums have gone to the extent of telling the users to switch to firefox or where to get the ad blocker and what addresses to ad block. So as you can see since I run a free forum host with 50,000 forums it is a problem.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by thomor25
Actually sashman i do need this program as I have all my ads being delivered from my ad server using phpadsnew and they block the server and they block the adsense server. This renders my banners non viewable. Some users or admins of my forums have gone to the extent of telling the users to switch to firefox or where to get the ad blocker and what addresses to ad block. So as you can see since I run a free forum host with 50,000 forums it is a problem.
I still think your problem is more perceptual than actual at this point. I do concede that general ad blockers will eventually be a major problem. Fringe browsers such as Avant are already starting to include general ad blockers. The AdBlock plugin is also becoming popular -- although it takes a little skill to use.

Just out of curiousity, could you pass a link to your free forums? One of our web properties enabled users to create forums on the fly and we really haven't seen a problem with this.

Last edited by Sashman; 09-12-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Sashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
njpete

I read here awhile ago that MTV was starting to block people if they detected a blocker. I don't blame them people who block just take up bandwidth.
njpete is offline   Reply With Quote