Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
Jay | Canep Media

Exclamation Ad - advice! (yes, another one of those threads)

Hey guys I have yet another question for ya:

I just got a new website, the idea came at 1am and basically I finished it off before going to bed.
Anyways, I link to it, and before I know it I had thousands of hits.

At the moment I`m running with the obvious for ads (adsense of course) and was wondering what you`d suggest (I don`t want to be left standing in the rain and let all this potential revenue go to waste)

Its a stupid English to leet translator which took me about half an hour to do, the site is 1337translator.com
I`d say the average person translates 2 or 3 phrases , meaning about 5 impressions per unique hit.

Now, I`ve thought about it, but don`t know where I should place the ads really, and if I should even bother with CPM, or if I should stay with CPC (google) and maybe throw in some high converting CPA into the mix?

Obviously I wont change ad servers till some substantial traffic has built up, but at the current rate that really shouldn`t take all too long!

Your advice is appreciated.
Jay | Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Worthen
Pending Review

interesting - but what is your definition of leet --- I checked several dictionaries and found several different definitons --- but none that seemed to apply

at any rate, I'd move the entry field above the ad for greater participation in use of the page

and I would test the same Google ad at the very top of the page. And finally i'd try it at both the top and bottom at the same time.

Finally, I'd test the page without the pic --- this way you can have everything visible without scrolling --- even 2 ads. I prefer this.

Let us know which works best
Worthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Jay | Canep Media

Hacker "Sp33k" for leet, or elite. Originating from 31337 "eleet"

A language in which numbers and symbols are put together to look like letters. Some people create their own 1337 letters and it makes them look more 1337 by fellow 1337-speakers. Here is an alphabet of 1337 letters I know and have created:

A: 4 or l\ or ^ or @ or /\ or /-\
B. l3 or 8 or or ]3 or l:
C: ( or < or or
D: l) or l> or ])
E:3 or
F: l= or # or
G:6 or 9
H: # or l-l or (-) or !-! or **-{ or **{ or l+l or )+( or !+! or **+{
L: 1 or ! or ][
J: _l or _/
K: l< or l( or l{ or l<=
L: l_ or ! or 1
M: l\/l or /\/\ or l\l\ or ^^
N: l/l or /\/
O: 0 or () or <> or * or or or
P: l* or l> or |D or l^ or l+
Q:& or (\) or
R: l2 or
S: 5 or $ or
T:+ or 7
U: l_l or /_/
V: \/
W:|/\| or \/\/ or |/\/ or \/\|
X: >< or **{ or :-:
Y:
Z: 2

// source: urban dictionary

Also, my google stats seem to be going a bit crazy..

Yesterday, (it was only online since 6pm yesterday)

I received a grand total of 110,000 impressions, and 24 clicks, with an eCPM of only 6 cents. Since I was also running these ads on the corner of another site, I was used to such a low ecpm, so I`d say 25,000 impressions , and all clicks came from the new site.

Today, however, (so far) I have received 50,000 impressions (according to google) and 2 clicks.

How can this be right?!
According to my awstats I didn`t even receive HALF that many impressions...
It doesn`t make any sence to me to be quite honest with you.

Anyways, I did what I understood you suggested, add the ads to the top and the bottom, and remove the image. Tell me if you think its better or if I should change it around even more...
Old 12-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
Worthen
Pending Review

wow - you are never to old to learn new stuff --- this is a whole new world i never knew existed

i searched for 31337 at google and the second listing was http://www.31337.com --- and the webpage ??? well - that's a new angle for me

then i did search for 1337 and got a lot of info about the subject

interesting to say the least

now as far as your stats --- you can email or phone adsense support and they will be glad to explain what happened --- it might be best to wait a week and see if their numbers match yours --- or not, they probably need the practice

now as far your ad results with your new page look:

you will never ever know without testing

I'd test each combo for a 24 hr minimum and compare results, you will need longer than 24 hrs per test if you don't get a pretty decent amount of traffic

Don't go by my taste cuz I'm not average, but definitely try the same page with a white background instead of the current purple

Many publishers find removing the ad borders improves ctr so you will want to test that too

if your traffic takes off like crazy and you get tons of visitors, you might do well by going with YPN as their ads won't be as targeted to your subject and might produce more

if you get lots of traffic --- you will have lots of revenue options

keep us posted and good luck

Last edited by Worthen; 12-06-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Worthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
Jay | Canep Media

-removed first 3 paragraphs of post due to new layout-

Well I got the new layout finished, altho still having some issues with gaps in the internet exploder.

I`ve applied with axill and casale, and fastclick, and countless others.
Fastclick (obviously) denied me... as they do with each and every one of my sites.
pigs...

Still waiting on the others to get back to me really.

I`ll be trying as hard as I can to get some CPM ads in there, be it just normal banners... if google are correct about my 50k+ impressions, I see no reason why not to get some sort of regulated income on it, not based on the performance of my traffic.
Although generally it may pay less, I always find CPM ads a much more stable form of income.

Thanks for all your help.
I hope it does take off as planned..

Last edited by Jay | Canep Media; 12-06-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

That's a fantastic idea for a site, which is obviously already reaping dividends for you as far as traffic is concerned. Also, since so many leet speakers operate blogs or spend their time in IRC referring people to websites and what not, there's a very good chance that your property could grow virally - even without your intervention.

That said, it's easy to imagine why your CTR is so low. leet speakers are obviously comprised largely of net-savvy teen males. The teen market has always been problematic from a revenue perspective for a number of reasons, and the net savvy nature of this particular group makes them even more likely to be afflicted with banner blindness. They're often also a group who are used to getting things for free, including software, music and movies, which would otherwise be prime product types to promote to this demographic.

Try blending text-based ads more seamlessly into the body content of your website or try tailoring your ads more to the male youth crowd. If you mix a few high-converting CPA offers into the mix and/or promote iTunes, EBGames, Crucial RAM, high-end video cards and other products that leeters may appreciate and may not be able to access for free through less mainstream sources, response rates may increase.

Best of luck with it. Your pageview rates are incredible given the age of your site, so I'm sure this will be a huge success for you.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote