Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default Do you want lots of money?

I guess most of us would like to win millions of dollars in a lottery.

Of course my life is a lot better now that I'm a GeekGuide due to all of the benefits that come with that position.

I'm really looking forward to the two week GeekGuide Convention, which is being held in the United States. The first week is in Miami, Florida and the second week is in Los Angeles, California. All expenses are paid and that is a big help.

My daily life is much better thanks to the chauffeur-driven limousine that takes me all over town when I don't want to drive my own new car furnished to me by GeekVillage.

The free travel and large expense account really makes life enjoyable. I am able to stay in the best hotels and eat at the most expensive restaurants.

The best thing of all is the nice yearly salary that is in the high six figures. Yes, I'm sitting on top of the world!

Isn't it fun to dream? I guess we all like to dream. For some people, dreams come true. I guarantee you the dream I had above isn't going to come true.

However, some dreams have come true for two recent lottery winners. One won twice. It is difficult enough to win once, but this woman won twice within five months. Here is a link to an article about her http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...-newslocal-hed

Then there is a man who won a larger jackpot than the woman above, but he wants more money. He doesn't plan to get it by winning another lottery. He wants to invest what he won and become a billionaire. Here is a link to an article about him http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/11909612.htm

Last edited by Larwee; 06-16-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
sdarken

Then there's the German lottery winner that blew all his winnings and turned to robbery because he was too embarrassed to go to the welfare office:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=8787245
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:32 AM   #3
georgec

The most I've ever won at a lottery is $10 I believe. I think most winners are consistent players and usually play the same number each time.

Last edited by georgec; 06-17-2005 at 01:33 AM.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:56 AM   #4
Larwee

GeekGuide

georgec, I don't have the exact percentage. But I do know that a lot of winners are people who let the computer pick the numbers for them. The drawings are random numbers and the computer picks are often a lot more random than numbers picked by people who often will try to stick with certain numbers that have a special meaning to them.

Last edited by Larwee; 06-17-2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:03 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Larry, shhhh.... Remember, as a GeekGuide, you're part of a sinister - I mean selfless - secret society. Our clandestine nature is maintained for the betterment of our members and the greater society. Please refer again to our secret jingle, known in certain privileged circles as "The Stonecutter Song," and parodied on The Simpsons by our accord in order to throw curious types off our tracks:
Quote:
We Do (The Stonecutter's Song)
8th January 1995

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs the cave fish of their site?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do! We do!
Remember, it's only a matter of time Larry. Soon, the geek shall inherit the Earth. Muahahaha!

<back to reality>
I'd rather punt on a risky business venture than a lottery any day. Nevertheless, it's always great to hear an inspiring success story; particularly in which a family is blessed with a lottery win during a time of true desperation. It's even better to see battlers turn their lives around by coming across wealth suddenly, though tragic to an equal degree when the windfall is poorly managed and essentially wasted.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:36 AM   #6
Larwee

GeekGuide

People want to win so bad that some will do almost anything to get what they feel is an advantage in winning a lottery.

There is a company that was said to have been taking advantage mostly of elderly people by selling them what they said would be the winning lottery numbers.

Naturally if they could pick winning lottery numbers in advance they would play them rather than sell them for almost $40 to as many people as possible.

The company has been put out of business http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/m...69d695aa3.html
Old 06-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Kathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Czar
<back to reality>
I'd rather punt on a risky business venture than a lottery any day. Nevertheless, it's always great to hear an inspiring success story; particularly in which a family is blessed with a lottery win during a time of true desperation. It's even better to see battlers turn their lives around by coming across wealth suddenly, though tragic to an equal degree when the windfall is poorly managed and essentially wasted.
Me too. I'd rather come up with a dandy business plan and work it out, investing my daily energy and money there....I think its a better "gamble" than the lottery. I'm more reliable!

I don't know the stats but the vast majority of lottery winners spend it within the first year and are in the same (or worse) condition as before the big winnings.

Which is to explain why the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor....Its not always about opportunity...

Last edited by Kathy; 06-17-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
Strider

I can remember when one of the big multi-state lotteries (I believe it was powerball but I am not positive) came to Pennsylvania, one local idiot, with a family to support, sold his house and bought nothing but lottery tickets with the proceeds. The jackpot was record breaking but even with all those tickets they calculated his odd as still well below 1%. I think in the end he walked away with a couple of hundred bucks and that was it.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:39 AM   #9
superlaugh

Holy Wow! Won 2 lottery's That is just insane!

I don't play or plan on playing any time soon. I don't really get a kick out of winning stuff. I guess because I enjoy earning a living and don't really think the way that some do.

What is funny to me is that people that think I have a lot of money and they hear I work from home. This is the most popular comment when chatting with someone "It must be nice to just hang out at home, relax, and do what you want and make tons of money. It must be nice!" The funny thing is, in my prime, I worked 16 hours every single day trying to get ahead. It kind of burns me to hear people say that kind of stuff. They sometimes think that success should come as easy as winning the lottery. You can just spend money and do what you want.

Anyway, sorry, off the soap box now. I must say, that much money in the hands of certain people is amusing.

Cheers!

Last edited by superlaugh; 06-19-2005 at 06:41 AM.
superlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
wserve6

Default Budget Hotels in Garden city ks

The New Sunflower Inn Hotel is located in Garden city ks California. we have luxury and cheap are available. he provide quality and fresh breakfast in this hotel. you can do our business meeting in this resort.

if you want stay here so pls visit us more info

very Cheap Hotels garden city ks

Last edited by wserve6; 07-10-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: contact info add
wserve6 is offline   Reply With Quote