Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Arrow AdWords advertisers eliminating AdSense sites

Google has as new AdWords features that allows advertisers to eliminate specific sites from displaying their ads. This is a great feature. Naturally some AdSense publishers are going to see a drop in their revenue.

While I love Google and I love AdSense, I have long felt that Google makes it too easy for sites to get in by allowing a person to put the code on any site they own after getting just one of their sites approved. I feel Google should carefully review each site before allowing it to join the AdSense program and that they should have certain standards that need to be met before a site can join.

I have also been a very big critic of the made for AdSense sites, and there are many advertisers who feel the same way as I do. But not all feel this way.

While the AdSense publisher loves to get clicks that lead to revenue, the advertiser has the right to expect that a reasonable amount of those clicks will be productive for them as well.

There are a very large number of AdWords advertisers who have the content campaigns turned off because they don't want their ads displayed on AdSense publisher sites due to the poor quality and poor results from several AdSense sites.

But with this new feature many of these advertisers will now turn the feature back on and allow their ads to be featured on AdSense sites since they can now simply eliminate specific sites. They can keep the ones they are pleased with and eliminate ones they don't like. So while this might hurt some AdSense sites, it will help others.

However, Google could still make things much easier for the advertisers by not having it so easy for publishers to get their sites included in the AdSense program.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
masm50

I would agree with you in most respects Larwee. Indeed, at the moment, if I was an Adwords advertiser, I may well turn off the content sites.

Nevertheless, anyone who is developing new sites, such as myself, really welcomes the ability to add AdSense to the site before it reaches various traffic requirements. It means that a publisher no longer has to get each site over a certain threshold of uniques/impressions before they can start earning revenue on the site. Thus, I really suport Google's move, as I can still monetise new sites, but advertisers can also exclude the numerous (and annoying in my opinion) made for AdSense sites.

Just my 2p,

Tim
masm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
Larwee

GeekGuide

masm50, I also agree with you in most respects.

It is great that AdSense gives the little guy a chance in a great program and that is something I feel they should continue.

I wasn't really talking about certain traffic requirements when I was talking about Google making it too easy for sites to get into their AdSense program. I was talking about letting a person add any site they might have after having one approved without having each one of them approved on an individual basis. If Google would approve each site based upon some reasonable standards that would eliminate some of the garbage sites from being in AdSense in the first place, but still allow for new sites with little or no traffic.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
thegauntlet

As an Adwords user, how do I find all the sites running my keyword ads? There is no way I can possibly find them without google giving me a list of the sites that run them in the reports so I can then filter the sites i don't want.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Larwee

GeekGuide

thegauntlet, Google certainly could make it a lot easier. Then again they might not want to make it too easy for you to know which sites might be running your ads because of financial considerations. That is only a guess.

There might eventually be easier ways and there might already be ways that are easier but naturally one way is to check your logs and check the referrals from the content sites and get their URLs. Of course you would then need to visit each site and take a look at it to see if it is one that you want to exclude.

That is a bit of work, but that is one way it could be done.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Ralph Slate

I check my logs. For the most part I am happy with the sites my Adwords campaign is running on (I also use Adsense, BTW). But there are a few shaky sites, and when I view them they are just pre-canned pages with syndicated content on it, obviously built for adwords.

I figure that a newspaper like the Toronto Sun isn't going to be defrauding me, but someone who is building pages with little content, just to run Adwords on them may be. I'd prefer not to be associated with them, I'll sacrifice the few clicks they bring.

Ralph
Ralph Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #7
Vrindavan

>> not having it so easy for publishers to get their sites included in the AdSense program.

Manual site review is very subjective and not efficient.
I hate this method.

If adsense is too restrictive on sites,
i will rely more on affiliate programs rather than adsense banner for revenue.

The adsense banners are competing with my affiliate links placement
Vrindavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:56 PM   #8
Ted S

I think this is a great move for AdSense & AdWords programs and for both publishers and advertisers. If you think about it from a publisher's perspective this allows them to actually enable content sites as they no longer have to accept the ones that poorly preform. On the publisher side this means that those sites of high quality and relevance are more likely to see targeted advertisers. Certainly some publishers will see a drop in revenue but if you can't send quality traffic that converts to quality leads then logically you shouldn't be getting the same level of ads. Overall I see this as increasing the profit for quality sites and allowing advertisers to turn back on a tool that so many of them turn off which is better for both sides.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:44 AM   #9
Eriky
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

My cpm increased a lot lately on my content sites. I also see a greater diversity of ads from Adsense including a lot of graphical banners. Could this be the reason?
Eriky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #10
N_F_S

hmm,

I wonder how many sites are there up for advertiser's review....it will take a long time. Unless, they will judge only on reports, i.e. the sites that don't generate a good amount of clicks will be reviewed?
N_F_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #11
Steve_S

Arrow

Fantastic thread As you point out, the roll out (Reporting) is a bit crude but clearly a step in the right direction and it will certainly help both the AdWords and AdSense folks long term.

I actually know a lot of Advertisers/AdWords folks who would be happy to review a given site before they are permitted to use the G code and or the clicks actually count.

They and myself argue that this shifts the labor of this task to them (the Advertiser) and not G so it costs G nothing and in theory could increase their cut of the pie. They know their space far better than a G employee and I'm sure Ralph or the G Man would validate this.

In this plan you would see quality sites with original content, legitimate clicks, relavent content, and sites who are not cheating and or "gaming" the system earn more money and the Advertiser's ROI would certainly increase.

While we could argue for years about the subjective nature of a site review, it really is a moot issue since I'm paying the bill as an Advertiser so this gives me the "right" to pick and choose exactly where my advert will appear. None of this is new stuff.

For example, If your site sells it's own advertising via the CPM model, you are subject to human review by a potential advertiser before they purchase their Campaign and thats exactly what you want, if you ever exspect to earn real money.

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:30 PM   #12
Brad_Waller

The problem with the exclusion is that you have to figure out who is showing your ads before you can exclude them. Sure, you could list a bunch of site you don't want them to be seen on, but I could not find a way to see any details on display or clicks from specific sites. They can use their new purchase of Urchin (site analytics software) to come up with an integrated advertising and tracking system that makes it easy to compute ROI from all the sites showing your ad...
http://AdJungle.com - Manage & sell your site's advertising - now with PPC text ads
Brad_Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default AdWords advertisers can now exclude 500 sites

Google AdWords has now made a change. It is now possible for AdWords advertisers to exclude 500 AdSense sites with their site exclusion tool. The previous limit was just 25 sites.

It will be interesting to see if this will increase the revenue for quality content sites since it is likely that this will help to reduce the income for some of those made for AdSense sites.

25 sites probably wasn't enough for some AdWords advertisers. Now with the ability to exclude 500 sites this could be a great tool for those AdWords advertisers who really wished they could exclude more AdSense sites.

Here is what Google has to say about this:
Quote:
In the spring, we launched the Site Exclusion tool to give you more control to determine where your ads will show on the content network. This tool allows you to prevent your ads from showing on specific sites in the content network in the same way that you can add negative keywords to stop your ads from showing for specific keyword searches.

Recently, we increased the number of sites that you can exclude using this tool to 500. This gives you the ability to further tailor your AdWords account to the needs of your business. Remember, excluding a site in the content network will prevent you from showing on all of the pages that fall under that site's domain. We suggest that you review these sites carefully before you decide to exclude them. After all, the content network allows you to reach a targeted audience across a broad range of sites, and we wouldn't want you to miss any customers!
Here is more about the site exclusion tool https://adwords.google.com/support/b...T-AWB-092105_1

Last edited by Larwee; 09-22-2005 at 04:18 PM.