Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > Traditional (Offline) Marketing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2005, 05:00 AM   #1
wsz

Lightbulb Letterbox Drops

This depends upon the postal regulations for your country. I think that it is prohibited in the US. But, here in NZ, it is acceptable.

Has anyone tried stuffing paper fliers into letterboxes?

I get the usual stuff delivered by the post office (e.g. supermarket weekly sales), plus promotional stuff ranging all the way down to one-person groundskeeping services. Approaching the last local election, I distributed fliers for a candidate (whom I happened to know personally.)

So I am thinking of printing up some fliers for my local city-guide (as soon as it is structured properly and fleshed out a bit.) This seems exactly the type of site that might benefit from this promotion technique.

Walk around the neighbourhood, simultaniously stuffing fliers into mailboxes, taking surveys of businesses/features, and looking for nice photographic spots.

So has anyone tried this? Did you use a separate URL to check effectiveness?

Last edited by wsz; 05-06-2005 at 05:01 AM.
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Hey wsz,

This can be a great promotional technique; particularly in relation to geographically-limited services or offerings such as yours.

I've planned and executed distributions for a number of marketing clients, with varying levels of success in generating direct response. In all of these cases, affordable third-party distribution services were used in order to keep costs down and to ensure timely delivery. Since many services will deliver items (often targeted to particular suburbs) for as little as 10cents a piece, trudging around yourself may not be necessary.

There again, I did also carry out a similar exercise to the one you are planning a few months ago - including a personal pounding of the pavement, for a similar reason. That is, as part of the launch campaign for our locally-oriented web hosting service (targeted at Gold Coast businesses only), I had a couple of thousand DL-sized flyers printed and I drove to all of the Coast's major commercial districts to hand-deliver the flyers to business letterboxes. While this was a time consuming and largely unnecessary process, taking care of this by hand brought the added benefit of growing my familiarity with the types, sizes and names of businesses operating within our target region, so the scouting exercise would arguably have been worthwhile even in the event that no flyers were involved.

In any case, this latest laborious exercise produced very little in terms of immediate response, but it did contribute to branding the new service and future contact often resulted in prospects claiming to have heard about our service, so the distro was well worth the effort in a number of respects.

For a service such as yours, therefore, I think this would be a great idea, even if the direct response generated by the flyers doesn't immediately seem to justify the design/printing/labour costs involved in getting them into circulation.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #3
Nikolas

I think it will help, and especially for a local based site like yours.

I would like to give you a piece of advice on the type of the flyer. As far as I know coloured flyers with artwork don't work at all.

Because people when get a flyer in their hands they will look at it for about 1 sec. Don't use this one second to pay attention on a well designed logo or whatever, but keep their eyes to what you actually have. Your URL , and an one sentence description would be nice for that.
Nikolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:01 AM   #4
etechsupport

Your most of the potential customers live in offline world, I think we should also implement on offline method of promotion.
Letter box drops having also its own importance too traditionally.

A newsletter, coupon and gift certificate can be also added for an effective offline promotion.

Last edited by etechsupport; 08-15-2005 at 04:11 AM.
etechsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:04 AM   #5
etechsupport

By networking in your local chamber of commerce you can be also create your good presence at your local level.

Last edited by etechsupport; 08-15-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Networking is certainly a valuable tool in the marketing arsenal of any client-focused business, but it's not really the topic that is being addressed within this thread. As such, I've started a new thread to house discussions about real-world networking, which may now be found here:
Networking to win business

To return to the topic at hand, wsz, did you try any of these other local marketing methods? Letterbox drop? Posters? Any success?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 08-16-2005, 07:23 AM   #7
etechsupport

It was overall successful with my earlier business, even some of customers were waiting for company's envelop. You should emphasise the benefits for prospective customers by providing them few offers including some events and newsletters.
However it is important if you started letter drops, you should continue it otherwise it create bad impression to your customers if you stop after continuing it.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:55 AM   #8
Coli

Would it be legal in the United States to say, go to every mail box in my neighborhood and stick a folded flyer for my site in each box?
Coli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:39 AM   #9
Larwee

GeekGuide

Coli, it is against the law. Only authorized postal service employees are to put anything in mailboxes.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
Intgrp

I believe in the US though it is legal to hang a flyer on the front door knob - sort of like those do not disturb signs you get in hotels.

Flyers are very important to write good copy for and a targetted headline and a decent sounding offer.

I did a flyer for a hairdressing salon that brought in 23 new customers and approx $2200 in business in one drop to the local area.

The next salon in the street was a tight *** and did not want to pay for my services and did his own flyer - no response at all.

5% off your next haircut does not exciteanyone and just shows everyone how tight your business is.

As an after mention, the salon I did the flyer for was going to do a 2nd flyer but then tight assedness set in with them too - would not pony up $2000 of product we were going to bundle for a season special, even though it was product he could normally sell anyway.

Their mistakes can be a lesson for us - if it generates additional revenue it is an investment not a cost.

Moral of the story - letterbox drops can work but same as any advertising you need to test, test, test.

Last edited by Intgrp; 11-17-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Intgrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
Larwee

GeekGuide

Welcome to Geek/Talk, Intgrp.

You made an interesting point. Your "slang" words are a bit different than the typical way members express themselves here.

Yes, flyers are used a lot here in the United States and people often find them on their doors. They produce some good results for some people who use them.

The flyers being distributed in the manner you said is generally legal. But there are a few towns that restrictions against them or require getting a permit to distribute them.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:27 PM   #12
Czar

Webmaster

The point that Intgrp raised is very important. Nothing makes more of a difference in the success of a flyer drop than effective copy and a compelling offer.

Our first few efforts in this area were abysmal failures. We spent far too much money producing stunning flyers, printed on expensive stock, accompanied by catchy branding phrases and expensive photographic imagery. At between $0.40-$1.00 a flyer, the distribution of these arguably did help to build our brand in the local area, but produced little to no meansurable response.

To the contrary, our most recent efforts sought to move the focus from how great we are to identifying what our audience needs. Our latest flyer was ugly in many respects. It was printed in black and white on colour 80gsm paper, featured very little imagery and cost about $0.10/copy to produce. The flyers did feature attention-grabbing headlines that went to the heart of what small businesses in this region are looking to achieve, however, and while our body text was arguably excessive, it paid more attention to benefits and less to the features of what we were promoting. Thus far, the cheap campaign has proven more successful for us in actually getting the phone to ring and attracting serious enquiries through our website than the expensive alternative.