Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Thumbs up Google AdSense WON'T kick you out!!

I hesitated in starting a new thread. I had this previous thread http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...602#post153602

In that thread I wondered out loud if there was any reason for Google AdSense publishers to worry about being kicked out of AdSense for viewing their own pages when Google makes their CPM program available since they can be kicked out for clicking on their own ads as part of their CPC program.

I mentioned that I had written to Google for an answer and possibly I should have posted the reply there.

But since this is such a big and important issue I decided to post the Google reply in a new thread.

The answer direct from Google is that you will NOT be kicked out of AdSense for viewing your own ads.

Here is the way Google stated it in their e-mail reply to me:
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your thoughts on our new release.

To prevent invalid ad impressions, Google uses the same sophisticated technology that we use to prevent invalid clicks. Although AdSense publishers are not permitted to click on their own cost-per-click ads, they are permitted to view the cost-per-thousand-impression (CPM) ads on their own websites without the risk of creating invalid ad impressions. We constantly monitor all click and impression activity for sites displaying Google ads to ensure that no invalid impressions are charged to our advertisers.

I hope this answers your question. For additional questions, please visit our AdSense Support site at https://www.google.com/support/adsense or feel free to reply to this email.

We'd also like to encourage you to let us know how we can improve our customer support. Please take a few minutes to fill out our brief survey at http://www.insightexpress.com/s/Goog...position=true.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Larwee; 04-28-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
jokearound

what ive never understood is why dont they take your IP when you log in to the adsense publisher area, and then block it from your sites?

that would solve all the "i clicked my ads accidently and got banned", and the whole CPM view issue would never have come up.

good to see it resolved though!
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
thegauntlet

If they do the IP method, people who use a proxy will have all those behind the same proxy blocked. And if you login via AOL, that IP will be blocked also. Also dialup subscribers and a lot of broadband users have dynamic IP's.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
jokearound

combine it with a cookie, and that would help no end..sure there would still be problems like proxies and people deleting cookies, but id wager it would stop a fair few of the accidental bannings, its so simple, that it shouldnt not be done IMO
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Larwee

GeekGuide

Naturally I don't know what methods Google uses to detect fraud since they keep that information secret, as the should. But I believe it just might be a little more involved and complicated than what has been mentioned so far.

A few months ago I started a thread called How Google detects click fraud. In it there was some information that wasn't specific, but it clearly made it obvious that they are doing something much more involved than just the IP method and cookies. There are some quotes from people associated with Google. If you read it, you will see that they do some things that they just don't want to talk about. Here is a link to that thread http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=26348

Last edited by Larwee; 04-28-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Media Maven L and GEEK supreme said: "The answer direct from Google is that you will NOT be kicked out of AdSense for viewing your own ads."

Nothing very surprising in the G answer since we already covered it in the other thread and CPM has been around for ages.

What might be surprising is your yes or no answer to the following circumstances. In all cases its a Webmaster and or employee on their own site under the G CPM program.

1. I hard refreshed a single page 50 times in 10 minutes. Is this cheating?

2. I ran a bot on my own site and watched it run. Is this cheating?

3. My Employee told all his friends to use an autosurf program to visit my site at least 12 times in a given 12 hour period. I knew nothing asbout it. They watched each page to make sure it worked. Is this cheating?

4. I surf my Forums at least once every hour and generate numerous views. Is this cheating?

Hints: Your statement in certain circumstances is false. You and the rest of the geeks may think these are obtuse examples but spend a few hours in a major Networks Admin and watch what a few folks do or study how cheating tools work as part of your next book or training for a crime fighter position and your perspective will change.

Your Yes or No answers please?

Danka
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:17 PM   #7
e_d

Not all ip's are static. If they logged the ip's that log into adsense and blocked them from being as counted clicks you would see a drop in clicks if you run a site dealing with local areas such as your city due to the fact that your ip might be dynamic and someone else in the area gets your same ip later.
e_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
Larwee

GeekGuide

Steve_S, I suppose some of the things you mentioned will be covered in the Terms Of Service related to the Google AdSense CPM operation.

When I asked Google my question I only asked about normal and expected routine viewing that one would expect the owner of a site to do.

You brought up several things which in my opinion go beyond the point of being normal.

Google has made it clear that a person shouldn't click on ads that are on his site and the vast majority of people follow that rule and have no problem. Some don't follow it and complain when they are given the boot by Google.

I would think the same thing will be true with the CPM. Google will have some rules. The vast majority of people will understand them and follow them.

If Google makes it clear what they will allow and what they won't, then those who play by the rules won't have any problems.

To my way of thinking, the things you mentioned shouldn't be done, with the exception of possibly number 4. Number 3 wouldn't be a webmaster viewing his own site. I have no idea if any of what you mentioned will be covered in their terms of service.

But, when I asked my question I wasn't intersted in trying to see how far I could go and I would never ask such a question. If I or anyone else would ask such a question, I would hope that Google wouldn't answer it.

I believe most webmasters are like me and only want to know if they do the normal routine things would there be a problem, and Google has said there wouldn't, and that is nice to know.

Last edited by Larwee; 04-29-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
Airkat

*edit* and after typing this I realized it was suppsoed to go in the other thread with lawree

Last edited by Airkat; 04-29-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Airkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #10
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

L, thanks Items 1-3 in my previous post would certainly be cheating and would hopefully result in the loss of any money due and dropped from the program.

Item 3 underscores the fact that a Webmaster is responsable for everything that happens on their site and eliminates the tired old statement that "I didn't do it"

Item 4 is as you say "normal" and should be fine.

My purpose was not to nit pick bur rather point out that all rules contain 2 parts:

The "letter" as in the letter of the law (the exact words which appear) and the "spirit" of same which basically means we aren't going to document in detail every little thing that could cause a site to get banned but rather hope you spend your time building great content rather than, for example hard refreshing a single page 49 times because we told you in our TOS/Rules that the magic number is 50.

I believe the "drama" surrounding the G CPM program will be much better than anything available on TV as the cheaters can't wait to get started

Thanks for humoring me during my little experiment
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
Larwee

GeekGuide

Steve_S, you really like to make people think and keep on their toes.

The sad thing is that cheaters try to take advantage of so many fine programs for their own selfish reasons and end up often making things much more difficult for others.

The Google CPM will be paying a good rate compared to what some now offer.

I am sure their TOS/Rules will provide some very interesting reading.