Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default AOL releases standalone beta browser

America Online has released a standalone browser in beta. The browser also includes desktop search.
http://beta.aol.com/aolbrowser/index.html?

Are we about to have a big browser war? Will Internet Explorer continue to slip?

Details about the AOL browser are in the article below.
Quote:
AOL Releases Standalone Browser In Beta
By TechWeb News
February 08, 2005 (4:54 PM EST)

America Online Inc. on Tuesday made available in beta a standalone browser that includes desktop search, a feature already offered by rivals Google Inc., Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc.

The AOL Browser is separate from the Netscape browser AOL is also testing. The latter browser does not include desktop search, but allows users to switch from the Mozilla rendering engine to Internet Explorer with the click of a button.

The new AOL Browser, which is available for testing by AOL members and subscribers of the AOL Instant Messenger service, includes tabbed browsing that enables a person to quickly switch back and forth among multiple websites without launching a new browser. The feature is also available in the popular, open-source Firefox browser.

The AOL Browser also provides a privacy button that lets users clear their Internet history, cookies and caches.

But desktop search is the key feature in the new browser, because it has become an area of fierce competition with rivals Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo.

All three competitors have released beta software that can be downloaded to the desktop and used to search files in a person's PC, as well as the web. The tools are viewed as important among search companies because people often begin shopping on the web with a search engine.

AOL, based in Dulles, Va., declined to provide a timetable for when the browser would be generally available.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/59302052

Last edited by Larwee; 02-09-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
funtoon

Wow this is becoming intresting..........

I have already dont use IE must, prefer Firefox

But I guess Microsoft will delever a new browser with the Longhorn, just yestarday it was in news that the beta is gonna come some time around mid of this year....... http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Longho...23.html?tag=nl
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:03 AM   #3
funtoon

Just downloaded the AOL browser....... first impressions I am impressed, fast and good to look
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:47 AM   #4
billybatson

Default AOL Browser Problems

Hi,

I'm having users with AOL Browser report problems viewing my site:
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com

They report it as not loading, and just displaying a blank page.

I have downloaded and tested AOL Browser on Win98 and XP and the site seems to load fine. Any ideas?
billybatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:57 AM   #5
Rivux
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Its hardly a competitor to IE since its just a souped up vesion of IE, no different then MyIE or any of the other imitators.
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote