Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2004, 05:56 AM   #1
kams7ue

Default Apache Performance

Those of you who use use apache as their dedicated server, did you ever thought of the performance issues? did you ever changed httpd.conf for performance like?

If yes, did you changed the values of:

StartServers 8
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 20
MaxClients 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 1000

Above are the default values and I am using the same. what values you use and how many pages you serve each day?

Second question. What is your average server load (uptime)?

I have a P4 with 512MB, I get server load of around 1.45 to 1.95
Is it low? Is it high? Any idea? Please help.

regards
-kams
kams7ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:21 AM   #2
thegauntlet

I was tweaking my apache settings on one of my servers and a friends adserver last night as his ads were loading much slower than normal. His company serves about 250k/hr ads.
On my server, I changed the settings to this:

KeepAlive Off (you made no mention of this, but setting to off can drastically decrease load. You might want to play with it and see how it helps)
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
StartServers 5
MinSpareServers 32
MaxSpareServers 64
MaxClients 256
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

this is for a dual xeon 3.06 with 2 GB ram however my setup closely resembles it on my single cpu 2.4 1 GB ram

Do you have a lot of MySQL databases? You might want to tweak the my.cnf settings a bit. Let me know and i'll post some good settings for that too.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
kams7ue

Thanx for sharing it.
And yes. I forgot to mention. I keep the KeepAlive Off.

But isn't like keeping infinite requests per child (MaxRequestsPerChild 0) is little bit dangerous, specifically when you are increasing the number of children to 256?
kams7ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
thegauntlet

i believe there is also a setting to kill children (not that I like killing children) after x seconds. I believe I set that to 10-15.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
CPMNewbie

1.45 isn't that bad, but you may want to kill the programs that are hogging your memory up. Also, what is the speed of your P4? If you have an active server, you may want to go for the 1GB, if you still experience issues. It looks like your server may be running out of available memory and switching over to swap to compensate.
CPMNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote