Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2004, 10:06 PM   #1
flybird

Default Adsense disable my account! :-(

I got emails from adsense

Hello xxx,

It has come to our attention that invalid clicks have been generated on the ads on your web pages. We have therefore disabled your Google AdSense account. Please understand that this step was taken in an effort to protect the interest of the AdWords advertisers......................

While I do abide every rules of theirs, and never try to generate any invalid clicks!!! It's really unfair for me!

I have written back to them to explain this issue. Did anyone has the similar experience, and get thier account back enable?? I need your suggestion, Thanks a lot!

Flybird
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:10 AM   #2
fireklown

about 6 months ago I got an email like this, it was from one of the 30 I use from them. while I LOVE adsense on most of my sites, they were not very helpfull as far as this issue went. I asked them for IP's that clicked and all sorts of other stuff, they would not give any of it out. In the long run I ended up losing a lot of money, and after I got the email I only got PSA ads on the site. And still to this day have never found out what the story behind it was, cause I never clicked the ads myself or anything
fireklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:15 AM   #3
olabri

This happend to us too. just after a dramatic rise in income, we got the mail, no explainaition no info.

Seems they track clicks per IP, and dont care what that IP is, so it might be one of my competitors that found out they wanted to block a source of income by going on a clicking frenzy. But ll never know for sure.

One should believe it would be a simple matter for adsense to block out things like that though.
olabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #4
fantasia

this has just happened to me a few days ago as well. i was deeply shocked that my account was disabled for invalid clicks as i am sure that i followed all the program policies as such.

when i queried google as to why my account was disabled, they didnt really give me an answer. Shouldnt they tell me what happened? I have a feeling that one of my competing websites have deliberately tried to shut down my adsense account by repetitively clicking on the ads.

By the way, they only shut down my adsense account after i was making mid $x,xxx a month which is strange.

I tried to talk to them about the problem and get it sorted out because they didnt even send me warnings or anything so that i could investigate the issue of 'invalid clicks' and try to prevent them from happening.

Since my account is disabled, will i be able to sign up for another google account or am i banned completely?
fantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
Vrindavan

i joined adsense only recently just because
i fear that what you all said will happen to me too.

After heard all good news from Google over a year
i gain more confidence on them and joined lately.

Now these are bad news that i do not want to hear about.
Vrindavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
Kathy

I am both a Google Adsense member and a Google Adwords advertiser.

I have been both for a year and a half.

My site gets over 2 million page views per month and I enjoy very good revenue.....and have NEVER had a problem with invalid clicks nor of Google disabling my account because I make so much money.

As a Google Adwords advertiser...I do not want to pay for invalid clicks. Why would I? I am paying money to have legit traffic click through my ads...to bring them to my site.

Google has an excellent service in place. They will not tolerate any Adsense account coming up with multiple clicks by the same IP. Its that simple. As an advertiser I appreciate they are strict. I want my money to pay for the best traffic possible. It isn't going to happen with the same person clicking the ads day after day.

So there you have it. Google Adsense/Adwords is a stable company and will pay on time to the adsense publishers while they protect the adwords advertisers.

THere is no need to "fear" Google and them not being on the up and up.....which is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

No, I don't work for Google. I've just named my car after them.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:00 AM   #7
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy
They will not tolerate any Adsense account coming up with multiple clicks by the same IP.
So how do you keep your visitors from clicking an ad over and over. How do you keep your competitor from clicking your ads over and over. How do you keep AOL users from clicking your ads? I'll guess that 80% or more members that get terminated, didn't even click the ads themselves.

Last edited by Nintendo; 11-13-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
thegauntlet

I have clicked my own ads. If I see an ad on my website i'm interested in, i'll click it. I have bought several items also. Sometimes I wish I was running CPA ads with the amount I buy over the net through ads. I think google looks for excessive clicking though. They know what average is and anyone who deviates above this goes on the chopping block.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:04 PM   #9
gtmash

I wish they would just refund invalid clicks instead of kicking people out.

However, I wish they would kick out all made-for-Adsense sites.
gtmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:28 PM   #10
fantasia

Quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo
So how do you keep your visitors from clicking an ad over and over. How do you keep your competitor from clicking your ads over and over. How do you keep AOL users from clicking your ads? I'll guess that 80% or more members that get terminated, didn't even click the ads themselves.
exactly. thats how i feel my account became to be disabled. Yes it would have been a better option for them to refund the invalid clicks rather then

they didnt warn me of the issue so that i could try to investigate the issue and attempt to try and find out where the problem source was. I was kicked out of google and they didnt even tell me why, instead they just gave me the same generic email mentioned in the first post and when i asked them to try and explain more specifically they ignored my question.

Of course i understand that adverstisers need to be protected from invalid clicks, hence i dont mind them refunding the invalid clicks. But kicking me out of adsense for invalid clicks which i wasnt aware of, seems abit extreme for me. Now i've lost my main source of revenue. I've been with google for well over a year and never had problems, so finding out all of a sudden that my account was generating invalid clicks was abit surprising.
fantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:32 PM   #11
Ted S

Quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo
You can't stop people from breaking the rules but you can make sure your site doesn't encourage it. Assume Google has a piece of software to detect fraud and send an alert if any one publisher is generating a lot of fraud. When the review team looks at the activity and sees one ip over and over and canít link it up to anything they will probably ban that ip and move on. If however your site has numerous people clicking over and over along with a message saying "click our ads and support us" you've got a problem. Obviously most of the time it is not that black and white, Google can't track every click and there are may be users who think they are "helping" by clicking the ads extra. One has to assume that Google takes this into consideration, after all many large sites such as Kathy's run AdSense without a problem. I personally have had the ads on a few large forums and websites for 9 months without any complaints from Google although I have to imagine there was at least one fraudulent click... Google makes money by keeping publishers, the only reason they would drop one is if they felt it was seriously harming their advertiser relations and click quality. 80% of those terminates may not have clicked an ad themselves but how many encouraged it, posted about it or made an incentive out of the process?
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:59 AM   #12
mystro

Default Be practical guys

well, reading about all this grief from fellow villagers makes me sad as maybe some genuine honest publisher like me ;- ) got the wrong end of the stick for something beyond his control. and i guess google is also being right and practical in its policies to deliver to their advertisers.

Guys, one thing we must all agree upon is that without those honest advertisers, none of us would be earning as much value as we do with ad sense. the other thing is that we tend to take things for granted and switch off from our responsibilities as equal partners in the business.

So to alleviate some of the future sufferings that might occur, here is my two bit advise ( it has kept things pretty good and clean for me as yet. ). It will cause some of you to be more pro-active and hard working but i guess to keep the ad sense account and the pay checks coming, it might be worth the effort.

* pls. do not display exclusive ad sense ads in your banner spaces. pls. use an ad rotator to cycle your ads. mix it with some other ads like CPA ads or CPC ads or even home ads.

* and if you have a viewing cap per visitor on the ads then nothing like it. display an ad sense ads with a few minutes gap and see the results. display any other ad in the meanwhile like some other text ads programme etc. etc. (clicksor, market banker etc. are some of the good fillers.)

* for both, give a higher ratio to ad sense ads if you have more unique traffic coming in, else if you find that your traffic is repititive, then mix up the ads.

* this will also ensure that your trouble makers get tired of waiting for the ad sense ads to show up and will find something better to do after a few tries.

and the best part abt an ad system is that you can always change the ratios during your peak periods i.e. like during weekends, or sports events etc.

so put on those e-goggles and get searching for ad serving scripts. there are plenty of them out there.

all the best.

ps : voluntary fees for the above advise sent to me will be accepted with grace [she is my new secretary but also costs me a bomb. ;-)]. on a more serious note, < Snipped. Great post until this point. Please don't use this opportunity to promote your own (unrelated) commercial services. >

Last edited by Czar; 11-14-2004 at 06:14 PM.
mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #13
palos

The same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. Everything was going great, and my site was finally taking off, then one day I got an email about invalid clicks.

I had heard the horror stories about peoples acounts being disabled for clicking on their own ads, so I went so far as blocking the google ads entirely from my pcs so I didn't click by accident. I ended up losing a decent amount of money, and after sending a few emails back and forth they never were able to provide any information at all.

I wouldn't say that people should live in fear of google, but make sure they aren't your own form of revenue.
palos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #14
Martijn

Same story here, out of the blue a warning. We did not do anything fraudulent, even CTRs and views were rocksteady for several months. They weren ot willing to investigate and disabled our account without any further explanation. We've send a lot of nice emails to them, got a lot of nice ones back but they still owe us over ten thousand dollars....
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #15
Vrindavan

>>So how do you keep your visitors from clicking an ad over and over. How do you keep your competitor from clicking your ads over and over. How do you keep AOL users from clicking your ads? I'll guess that 80% or more members that get terminated, didn't even click the ads themselves.

i second that.

plus i think it is possible for a visitor to click all four ads one by one if the ads are highly relevant ( open in new window )

Will Google consider this as invalid clicks or fraud ?
Vrindavan is offline   Reply With Quote