Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2001, 01:28 PM   #1
Dave1

Default Let's fight back

I have had enough of people surfing my site using ad-blocking software so I have turned to APACHE to help me out however I am only half way there

I am using .htaccess directives to stop people bnrowsing my site using this type of software and have got some (from this forum) but I want more software to block

Heres what I have sofar

Quote:

# block offline browsers
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Offline* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebZIP* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebReaper* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Anarchie* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Mass\ Down* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Slurp* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^BlackWidow* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebStripper* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Wget* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebHook* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Teleport*
# adblocking software
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*Ad.*Muncher.*v4.*.* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*NetCaptor.* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*WebWasher.* [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*adsubtract.*$ [NC,OR]
# Send leeches to denied page
RewriteRule ^.*$ /docs/robots_denied.html [L]
Can anyone add any ad-blocking sotware's HTTP_USER_AGENT to this list?
Old 07-27-2001, 01:35 PM   #2
gethosted

I would recommend blocking anything with the words "popup", "banner", "killer", or "ad" in the user agent field. Sure you may lose traffic from a legitimate browser named "popup killer" but I really doubt it .
Old 07-27-2001, 05:15 PM   #3
Manos

Hey Dave1, thanks for those rules. I like to collect Apache rules... hehehehe.

You may try searching google... I haven't checked in awhile, but last time I went looking I found these rules to block bulk email collecting software.

#Block email collectors
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^EmailSiphon [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^EmailWolf [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^ExtractorPro [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Mozilla.*NEWT [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Crescent [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^CherryPicker [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^[Ww]eb[Bb]andit [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebEMailExtrac.* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^NICErsPRO [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Telesoft [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Zeus.*Webster [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Microsoft.URL [OR]
#RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Mozilla/3.Mozilla/2.01 [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^EmailCollector
RewriteRule ^.*$ /we_hate_filthy_spammers.html [L]

I've commented out the Mozilla one, since it
could block, as far as I remember from the comments on the web page, any browser based on Mozilla that's created using some specific Visual Basic libraries. It was some seemingly low percentage of traffic, but I decided not to take a chance with it. I wish I could remember the page, but that was a while ago.

Also, people should check this thread out for more helpful ad-blocking discussion: http://66.33.83.213/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9915
Old 07-27-2001, 06:30 PM   #4
mcsebraindumps

Web Stripper, Offline Explorer, WebZIP, and some of the others you have there are actually spiders. They are more descructive in my opinion than anyone blocking ads from your site because they spider your entire site which inflate your page views and gets you banned from programs. I can't use search boxes on my site for this reason, been booted from two places. I would definitely put Teleport Pro in your list as it's the most common spider. I've gone a step further than you and had an entire collection of scripts written to handle this problem. I don't use htaccess because my list would be too long Fortunately I have a dedicated server and have root so I use ipchains which completely bans an IP. I have one script to parse the log file looking for those agents and ban them on sight. I then have another script to ban any IP accessing more than 40 files (not including .gif and .jpg) in 60 seconds. I then have a hidden tag in my site pointing to /cgi-bin/mustdie.pl which bans any IP hitting that I think I catch about 99% of unwanted spiders. My scripts also allow me to tell it certain domains not to ban such as search engines. Last but not least, my script unbans each IP after 24 hours. After about a month of doing this I think I finally have the problem under control. Anyway, here's my list of agents to ban:

Teleport|Offline Explorer
DISCO Pump
WebZIP
HTTrack
MSIECrawler
FlashGet
libwww
WebStripper
WebCopier
ia_archiver
WebCapture
Downloader
GetRight
Fetch
NetAnts
SuperBot
Wget

If you have large files on your site I suggest allowing GetRight and NetAnts since they can also be used solely as download agents. The problem is, they can also be used to grab your entire site.
Old 07-27-2001, 07:55 PM   #5
harry

Hi Folks

Just wish to ask whether its possible to write a program in JavaScript to be instaled on html pages and can block the mentioned ad-blocking software or just to display a blank page if the surfer is using such software?

Thanks!

Harith
http://www.danex-exm.dk
Old 07-27-2001, 08:12 PM   #6
demae

You mean the ad blocking software actually gives a real USER_AGENT string? How sloppy of them. ^_^
Old 07-27-2001, 09:43 PM   #7
Jan

Administrator

Thumbs down

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I would like to ask what is more important? Surfers or bucks?

What you are doing is interfering with people's wishes to not view ads. That is their choice. If you force them to view them with these scripts, you are going to lose them and lose possible referrals to their friends who maybe don't have adblockers.

This is almost like cheating, but you are cheating the surfers. If I was using adblockers and I was still forced to view ads, I most certainly wouldn't return to that site.

If those unscrupulous ad companies hadn't come up with the 5-40 spawned popups maybe not so many people would be looking for alternatives.
Old 07-27-2001, 09:57 PM   #8
WildComputer

Bucks are more important if you're running a business based on banners, etc. (incidentally this isn't really me - but I understand the issue)

Why would you want to spend bandwidth, CPU resources etc on accommodating people who generate zero revenue?

Why would you want repeat use of your bandwidth, CPU resources, etc. for these people? If they don't come back - so much the better
Old 07-28-2001, 12:21 AM   #9
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
What you are doing is interfering with people's wishes to not view ads. That is their choice. If you force them to view them with these scripts, you are going to lose them and lose possible referrals to their friends who maybe don't have adblockers.
It's mainly an educational issue. My understanding of the intent of this subject header is not "let's fight back against our cheap surfers", but rather "let's fight back against the greedy and unethical manufacturers of ad blocking software".

I'd be willing to bet that most of the users of such software do not realise that what they're doing is wrong, and a threat to the free internet that we've all come to love. By directing such users to a page explaining that the site in question cannot survive unless they agree to view the ads (ie radio, free-to-air TV), or pay for the right to access the site (ie cable, press), one may win the user's empathy or, at the very least, understanding.

If you view the sites promoting ad-blocking software, you'll find that they're so full of propagander and false claims inferrring that ad blocking doesn't hurt anyone, but allows users to avoid an unnecessary evil of the net. As publishers, we have a vested interest in ensuring that users don't believe this to be true.

Let's face it, the media giants will be able to endure small threats such as this, but the indies who add real flavor to the web are at risk when this is compounded with what is already a weak ad market.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 07-28-2001, 12:37 AM   #10
adland

If you want to fight back, attack x-10. They more than any other advertiser are responsible for the increase in people using ad-blocking software.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:04 AM   #11
ref
Member.

If they want to use it [the ad blocking software] so be it. My opinion, your or somebody else does not matter. Is a company shooting 50 linked popups? Their choice. You or me want to employ one method or another …who cares. At the end only the equilibrium [between the blocking software, spiders, robots, popups, your nerves, my nerves, your pockets, my pockets] matters. A web site is a private property. If I want to block all countries, but say Eritrea, is my choice [go stick a finger in your … if you don’t like it]. Do you want a supper authority looking over your shoulder when you type .. Don’t worry will come in a near future. They will wisely decides what ad blocking software is proper to use, ads that are safer for you [say based on your age in seconds – if they are sloppy]. So enjoy the net now
Old 07-28-2001, 01:21 AM   #12
Manos

Jan - your comments are definitely a point of view to consider. I agree with what you say about the abusive advertising sites. However, we're not "forcing" surfers to view ads - we just refuse to let them see our website if they're not going to view them. The problem with ad blocking is that if it becomes prominent, the internet will be forced to become a pay-for-use model, as site owners can't afford to allow users to **** up the bandwidth without making any money to cover it. It's like going to a museum that exists on donations - if everyone keeps coming to see the exhibits but nobody donates, they're going to have to start charging admission.
Old 07-28-2001, 04:10 AM   #13
funtoon

Default if anyone is using ASP you can use this code snippet

Hi I just wrote this code its in ASP to block users using ad-blocking softwares and offline browsers, feel free to use it

<%
agent=lcase(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGE NT"))

banned_agents="offline,webzip,webreaper,anarchie,m *** \ down,blackwindow,webstripper,teleport,webwasher,ad subtract,offline explorer,superbot,wget,ia_archiver,libwww,httrack, fetch,muncher"
b_agents=split(banned_agents,",")

for cnt=0 to ubound(b_agents)
if instr(agent,b_agents(cnt)) > 0 then
Response.Write "<font face=verdana size=2><B><center>Sorry you are not allowd to view this page</b></center><P>"
Response.Write "We have determined that you are using some sort of ad-blocking software or using a browser that downloads our site to your machine.<P> Please understand that we are able to provide this content free because of our Sponsors (ads) and if you choose to block them, we will be unable to display the pages, if people continue to block our sponsors ads using ad-blocking softwares then we will be forced to charge for the content and we do not wish to do this so Please shut of your ad-blocking software and revisit our site."
Response.Write "<P>Thanks,<BR> Editor <BR> http://www.funtoosh.com [ <a href=mailto:webmaster@funtoosh.com>webmaster@funto osh.com </a> ]"
Response.Write "</font></body></html> "
Response.End
end if

NEXT
%>

I hope this help you all

Thanks,
Ranjit Editor Funtoosh Network
Old 07-28-2001, 04:28 AM   #14
Jan

Administrator

Thumbs up

This at least gives the surfer an option

"We have determined that you are using some sort of ad-blocking software or using a browser that downloads our site to your machine.<P> Please understand that we are able to provide this content free because of our Sponsors (ads) and if you choose to block them, we will be unable to display the pages, if people continue to block our sponsors ads using ad-blocking softwares then we will be forced to charge for the content and we do not wish to do this so Please shut of your ad-blocking software and revisit our site."

If you are going to do this (anti adblockers) and maybe retain a few visitors, then put something like this in. That way there is a choice - to enter or not to enter.

Just be nice
Old 07-28-2001, 10:37 AM   #15
Ralph Slate

Here's a tip on a program that I first read about here, but haven't seen mentioned in a while.

I bought a program called "Botbuster". Their URL is http://www.botbuster.com . It's a set of scripts that detects when a non-search engine is spidering your site, and blocks them using .htaccess.

It's been working great for me -- I block 10-20 bots per day. You have the option to block permanently, or for a specified time period.

They're working on enhancements to it where it will actually tell someone that they've been banned (instead of just blocking access), so that it will educate your users instead of just punishing them.

Try it out on my site -- hit me with a Spider and you'll see that you'll be blocked.

If you decide to buy it, mention my name so I get some brownie points!

Ralph