Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Eric_eLyrics

Default LF US Linux powered server

I am considering getting a new Linux powered server with PHP/MySQL support as a backup server for my sites. However, I am technically challenged. I've no knowledge on Linux at all.
ev1servers has a cheap one with Red Hat Enterprise installed.
Does RH have an easy to use GUI like Windows? or I have to type a lot of commands like old days under DOS?Is is hard to maintain?

Also, will MySQL work well under Windows? I heard under Windows it cannot be compared to MS SQLserver at all. It is more like Access.

Thanks.
Eric_eLyrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
Ted S

I would recommend you purchase an redhat or freebsd box from either ev1 or servermatrix.com (who I use). Linux can have a gui and windows type interface but when you are running a server it is really all based on shell applications. Control panel software like cpanel or plesk allows you to manage a lot of your services in a point-and-click manner but you should still have some understanding of shell commands or a sys admin who you can pay to assist you should something need to be upgraded or if something goes wrong.

What is the primary purpose of your server going to be? How many sites do you want to run on it?
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
Eric_eLyrics

Since my present server is a little bit slow and unstable for US visitors, I want to get a backup server in US just in case my present server goes wrong- but i am not planing to move all sites to the US server yet. Bandwidth is not a big issue. I do not do software downloads. All I need is some basic service like Php/MySQL/FTP/mail. 200G transfer should be more than enough.
But I wont go for VPS - some of my sites are not that CPU/RAM friendly.
Eric_eLyrics is offline   Reply With Quote