Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
Anion

Default best affiliate programs

I have a very diverse large site whose visitors are more or less represantive of internet traffic as a whole. Can anyone recommend a affiliate program that would be best suited to such a site.

Thanks in advacne,
Anion
Anion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
DarkBlue

Obviously this simple question could have an extremely long reply but Id just say try the following markets:

Debt consolidation
Dating
Weight loss
DarkBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
Chet

Quote:
Weight loss
Definately a goog thing to promote this time of the year. Losing weight is a big New Year's Resolution for millions of people every year.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
john926

If you want to earn per clickthru and not per sale or lead, then I would suggest Adsense and all the other ppc search engines.

There are many good ppc search engines out there

Some are even paying 80% - 95% of their bidded amounts and pays with a low to no min payout which is done monthly or sooner.
john926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
1lit

(1) Adsense is good, though our revenue per impression is going down

(2) Financial products are always good earners. If you look at the highest earning affiliate programs at CJ, for instance, almost all are credit cards, debt etc.

(3) Go residual. Problem is many affiliate programs only pay a measily commission amount once-off and then go on to enjoy the fruits of your labor for years to come. Therefore try to dig out affiliate programs/business opportunities that genuinely treat you a partner and allow you to make a real living. I would recommend the one in my sig., but there are plenty of other very good residual income affiliate programs out there. Look for them in Google - and avoid the MLM ****s of fly-by-night business opportunity dot.coms.

Last edited by 1lit; 02-02-2004 at 08:47 AM.
1lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:44 AM   #6
Fogbrain

For general audience targets I like www.azoogleads.com - but you do have to fiddle with them to find what works best. The coffee ads pull good for me, but as was previously mentioned you only get credit for the initial sale, then they get all the residuals, and since the coffee ads are "coffee of the month" it can really be a lot. Watch out for programs that are "clearing houses" - offers that are really just big ad farms. Advertising these can hurt your commissions later, since most every offer they carry is an offer you can carry directly.

I really like <snipped>- they are the program I advertise the most. <snipped. deceptive self-promotional post as per your admission in another thread here.>

Last edited by Czar; 02-25-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Fogbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:10 PM   #7
JP Sauve
Member.

We've always used SWEEPSTAKES and FREEBIES for general untargetted traffic. While such offers rarely pay as much as weight loss offers and the rest, you usually generate far more clicks to the sponsor, and in the long run, you earn more.

Not to say other offers won't earn you money. Just personally I find the "clickability" of SWEEPS and FREEBIE offers far outweighs the seemingly higher paying offers.

Most ad networks carry a handful of sweeps offers. I know we have more than a few on our network.

Last edited by JP Sauve; 02-24-2004 at 01:12 PM.
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
Fogbrain

Not to knock sweeps and freebies, but the old saying holds ture, there is no free lunch.

It has been my experience that most sweeps are just gathering devices for online marketers to get "permission" (usually hidden in the TOS) to market the subscribers you send to them. To compound matters the offers these marketers send out are offers you can run yourself. So you get paid 25 cents for a "sweeps" entry, and the sweeps site gets to market to what is basically your customer as often as they like. It's the equivilant of shooting yourself in the foot, I think, becuase eventually the "sweeps" offer you run will die off, as the interested subscribers you have will have already "entered". Once the offer dies for you, you'll be looking for other offers, but the catch is that the sweeps site you sold your subscribers to will have already hit them with any decent offers available.

Freebies in my experience are typically no different - they usually require the user to make a purchase of some kind in order to get their freebie - and usually that item they need to purchase is an offer that, once again, you could run yourself directly.

Don't get me wrong, if you have a steady flow of new subscribers these type of offers can make you a nice income, but if you work for your subs, saturating your list with offers like this probably isn't the best idea.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:01 PM   #9
JP Sauve
Member.

Fog, you're somewhat correct. Most sweeps sites use the lead for email marketing. Some do it responsibly, others don't. Freebie offers aren't as bad, as often the "freebie" is given by an offline company who are just looking to get sample data, and not to market a bunch of ads to.

A good middle ground would be to advertise the sweeps and freebies on your site and not in your newsletter. I still suggest advertising them in your newsletter (we've made insane amounts of money doing that), but if you're at all leary, just put some links up on your site. Many of the sign ups you'll generate won't be subscribers to your newsletters, so there's no watering down of your lead.

One of the best spots to advertise a sweeps is on pop-out. At that point, you've lost the lead and just want to earn from it as much as possible. You can earn 1/100th of a penny (or whatever the current rate is) by showing a networked pop up on a CPM basis, or you can create your own pop, advertising a highly clickable link like a sweeps.
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:21 PM   #10
Fogbrain

I follow you, JP. 100% There is a ton of wasted web traffic that will never subscribe to the respective mailing list, so a little monetizing of that can't be a bad thing, no matter what the offer is (so long as the checks cash).

The thing is that lead generation for other people is a vicious cycle that many people don't understand. They jump into the lead generation game and make some quick cash, then find that cash starting to slow, so they look for other offers, typically offers that require a purchase to be made, only to find out they can't sell anything. The rub is that the reason they can't sell anything is because they sold all of their prosepctive buyers off as leads to marketers who already sold them. So they turn back to their only means of income - lead generation. And that's not a bad thing, but it can be, if you don't pay attention to what you are generating leads for.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:47 PM   #11
cheznoir
Member.

All we need in here is Todd from CJ talking about this thing he just heard about, comission junction...

Chet
cheznoir is offline   Reply With Quote