Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2003, 10:56 PM   #1
cs378

Default Building a news site

How can i built a news site with forum jusst like the great geekvillage.com

i see other news site gets some of their news from sites like cnn.com. they copy the 1st paragraph. n then gives the full story link goin to cnn.com.

is tha ok to do?

thx
cs378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 12:02 AM   #2
fgraph

some sites offer a feed. I believe cnn offers an rss feed and i know that slashdot does for sure. there's a couple commercial scripts that'll scan 30 or 40 news sites and allow you to create a quality portal/news area. a quick google search shows one php script that you could use (http://www.nukedgallery.net/article17.html) for getting stuff off cnn.

others pay for their content from various sources, like moreover etc...but that's pretty expensive. then again its far more professional.

finally, getting a forum like "the great geekvillage.com" can be done by using any number of message board scripts. Geekvillage uses vbulletin but you can get scripts that are close to vbulletin for free.
fgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by fgraph
Geekvillage uses vbulletin but you can get scripts that are close to vbulletin for free.
Like the excellent phpBB.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 10:19 AM   #4
cs378

ok thx

but i still wanna kno if i can copy part of the article n post it to my site with cnn's full article link

can i?
cs378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 09:11 PM   #5
Winnie

You may link to their article, but not copy and use it completely without permission. You may paraphrase it, or quote to it, while giving them the credit, I am sure.
Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 04:09 AM   #6
James

It all depends on whether the judge believes that it's 'fair use'.

You'd probbably be able to get away with a paragraph, were you to have the link to the full article. It's like Google having the image search. They have remotely hosted thumbnail pictures, and therefore avoid hotlinking to sites if it won't work, and this is considered fair use. I don't see how doing that thing that you described wouldn't be fair use.

Now, I would suggest that you should probbably just either have this thing for more resources than just CNN (because why wouldn't they just go to CNN for their news, you want to be able to connect them to lots of articles, or else you're pretty much useless for this kind of news site).

You could also rewrite the articles, where applicable.

I prefer to create websites on things I like and therefore can write articles about freely.
James is offline   Reply With Quote