Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
dwergs

Default top referrers script

I've searched a while for a decent top referrers script, but they all seem to have their flaws.

Does anyone here have a good experience with this sort of traffic exchange and what script did you use in particular? Perl or PHP doesn't really matter, but it has to be integrated into my homepage so the possibility of a javascript inclusion is a big plus (so I'm not talking about Topsites scripts that generate a seperate statistics page). Other required features:

- ability to block certain sites
- ability to strip URL down to xx characters (for layout reasons)
- count clicks in & out per URL
- spam protection (IPs)... or the ability to manually delete a site from the list after human spam detection
dwergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
tobiasussing

I haven ot really been lookin into this sort of script, but i wouldn't be suprised if there one out there.

Im not sure what you mean with tha javascrip inlusion? woudln't it be more prudent, both in measure of simpilicity and resources, to include any data with php?

Exactly how would you like it included on your homepage. like a table with:
-----------------------|
| doman |_in | out |
| google | 100 |_0 |
|somepage |_40 |_30 |
-----------------------|

Ranked by largest incoming traffic.

Atleast thats what i think your intersted in.

I have seen that sort of implementations on some sites, and it shouldn't be that hard to make, i would find it rather amusing .

Both IP and site exclusion should be easy to implement, perm site ban/removal should also be rather easy.

Instead of stripping down the input url, it would be easier to just print the domain name, and have a link to the whole url. That would make it easy to look at, and it would keep all the date. The full link could also be included when the mouse is hold over the link.

As i said, i have neither looked, nor found a script that does this. Should be out there since i have seen it in use on some sites. And should be rather easy to create with php/mysql
tobiasussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:57 AM   #3
dwergs

Quote:
Originally posted by tobiasussing
Im not sure what you mean with tha javascript inclusion? woudln't it be more prudent, both in measure of simpilicity and resources, to include any data with php?
That would require a minor server tweak to allow php inclusion into html, but I guess that's a small price to pay.

You're right about the table.. DOMAIN | IN # | OUT # with the TOP 5 or 10 referring sites.

But most scripts I've seen don't have IP-spam protection.

Quote:
it would be easier to just print the domain name, and have a link to the whole url.
True, but there will always be people with areallylongmessageintheirdomainname.com or thisismypersonalweblogihopeyoulikeit.blogspot.com.

You're right, it shouldn't be too hard to create IF you have decent knowledge of PHP, which unfortunately I don't

Last edited by Czar; 07-13-2014 at 11:26 PM.
dwergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
tobiasussing

how hard can it be to make adb that stores ip and date(for 24hour unique). bot noo no, some programers really dont think that far a head, sadly.

i hope you find something usefull.

I don know how to do java inclusion, thanks for pointing out the need, ill just go have a look, just for the fun of it
tobiasussing is offline   Reply With Quote