Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2003, 05:11 PM   #1
trafficguy
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default What makes a good pizza....

a: sauce
b: cheese
c: bread (thick or thin)

Wish i could make this a poll....
trafficguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:00 PM   #2
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Some like Chicago style (thick crust)
Some like New York style (thin crust)
Some like it dry
Some like it...um...gooey (greasy, IMHO)

I make my own pizza. I buy the crust at the health food store (thick). I don't use pizza sauce though, I use a chunky tomato sauce like you'd use on spaghetti *and* it doesn't contain any oil to make the crust soggy.

Then I put on cheese (in my case soy cheese). A low-fat mozzarella is best, IMHO, unless you like a gooey (greasy) crust.

Then I add whatever yummy little bits and pieces I have available like Italian sausage, ground meat, crumbled bacon, meatballs, cooked eggplant, sweet Bell peppers, sweet Spanish onion, sliced black olives, capers (better than anchovies, IMHO), cooked broccoli. My pizzas are not flat...they're mounded!

Deeelish!

Best pizza I ever ate was at a Lebanese restaurant in Iowa. You never know where you might find a 'masterpizza'!

Why are you asking us about pizza, anyway?
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
trafficguy

Just visited NY which they claim they have the best pizza. IMHO, so far, i have to agree...

The whole thing stemed from a conversation i was having with my sister in NY. This topic was one of our conversations...

Obviously there is some spare time at the office
trafficguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:07 PM   #4
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

lol! Those darn New Yorkers, they'll fight for bragging rights on anything.

Now if you want what is generally acknowledged to be the best pizza in the WORLD, you need to check out Pepe's Pizza in New Haven, CT.

People drive up from New York City and wait in line for this stuff.

http://chefmoz.org/United_States/CT/...954301523.html
Old 08-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
Jarusa

Best Pizzas in the world are in Italy no doubt!

I make my own dough and believe me, once you do you will never go back.

Recipe

1 tablespoon caster sugar
2 teaspoons dried yeast (or 15g (grams) of fresh yeast)
215ml (millilitres) lukewarm water
450g of flour
half teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil

Makes 2 pizza bases

Put the sugar and yeast in a small bowl and stir in 90ml. Leave to activate for 5 minutes.

Mix the flour and salt in a bowl, add the olive oil, remaining water and yeast mixture. Mix until it clumps together then transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes. Add little bits of flour or water if necessary to arrive at a soft dough that is not sticky but dry to touch.

Put the dough in a large bowl where the inside has been rubbed with olive oil. Roll the ball of dough in the bowl until it is covered in oil, then cut a shallow cross in the top of the ball. Cover the bowl with a cloth and leave to rise for 1 to 1 and a half hours.

Take the dough out, punch it down to its original size, and cut it into two portions.

Push the dough out to a 30cm circle using the heels of your hands.

The dough is ready for the topping of your choice.

Get it into the oven as soon as possible for best results. 220 degrees for 14 minutes should do for a normal sized pizza.

This recipe is from a book called 'The Food of Italy' published by Murdoch Books.
----------------

For those who are lazy like me, if you have a bread maker they are excellent for mixing pizza dough using this recipe.

Edit: Those parts of the world still sticking with the imperial system will have to convert the measurements given in this recipe.

Last edited by Jarusa; 08-05-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Jarusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 04:51 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

d. the topping on Jarusa's base. Pepperoni, capsicum, onion, and the other stuff

Last edited by Jan; 08-07-2003 at 04:52 AM.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
Rhekn

I like adding slices of tomato under the cheese, adds a nice flavor to the pie
Rhekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #8
Rhea

Ooh, that does sound good! Kinda like an open faced grilled cheese sandwich with mootz (but on better bread).
Old 08-08-2003, 06:25 PM   #9
YUPAPA

Smile

1.) CHEESE! I want many types of CHEESE!
2.) Topping
3.) Sauce
YUPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 01:00 PM   #10
photocartoonist

Pizza! I'm from Chicago and even worked at UNOs and I have lived in New York City for the past 22 years! And I make my own pizzas!! I have definite opinions about Pizza!

Pizza is an American invention, exported to Italy. Yes it was invented by American Italians but still here in America. In Italy, as in other European countries, they have main course, dinner type meat pies, some call them pot pies.

So you can make them with any kind of sauce. but Pizza I think should have the classic red sauce, marinara is my favorite.

I prefer the deep dish pan pizza, with a homemade crust, using whole wheat flour and olive oil. Deep dish holds the ingredients better and yum! it is just the BEST! You need a good cast iron pot with a handle.

Great marinara sauce is also essential. If you're lucky you live in an area where SOMEONE else makes homemade marinara and sells it! But marinara is also simple to make, it just takes time.

Then you add whatever ingredients you love but IMHO, the Goddess of Pizza did not intend pineapple to be on a pizza (those crazies in California!!).

A dash of capsicum (red pepper) gives it a zest that will have people talking for years!

The other think I know alot about is Margaritas! They go good with pizzas on a hot summer day, ooh and I know how to make the absolute BEST Mint Julips (I worked as a bartender in Atlanta too).

Kat
Old 08-09-2003, 04:56 PM   #11
Jarusa

Quote:
Pizza is an American invention, exported to Italy. Yes it was invented by American Italians but still here in America. In Italy, as in other European countries, they have main course, dinner type meat pies, some call them pot pies.
no, no, no

Pizzas were NOT invented by americans. They go back to before columbus.

The following links will add a yummy topping to your pizza knowledge:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...zzaHistory.htm

http://aboutpizza.com/history/

http://www.chefexpress.com/history.htm
Old 08-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #12
Rhea

Oh dear, I was trying so hard to stay out of the "pizza origin" debate. I think both Kat and Jarusa are correct, in their own way. Pizzas have been made in Italy for a very long time but not in the "modern" way. The incarnation of pizza with which most of the English speaking world is familiar was concocted in the USA. According to legend, in New Haven, Connecticut by Italian-Americans.

Now don't anyone start throttling me if my information is incorrect. This is just how I understand the history of pizza and I'm more than happy to endure a bit of non-physical correction!
Old 08-10-2003, 03:03 AM   #13
Jarusa

There will be no smackerelings ((c) Rhea).

I think that the most that can be said is a type of pizza (i.e. the chicago thick crust kind was developed in the U.S.). I could argue a different type of pizza invention every time I make one as I generally throw on any toppings that are handy! Oh, and as much as it shames me one of the most popular pizzas here in Australia is the old 'Ham and Pineapple'. </add flame protectant>

The concept though is without doubt European in origin.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:14 AM   #14
Rhea

Thank you for the gentleness of your response, Jarusa.

I don't like pizza with fish anyway. Not anchovies and certainly not smackerels!

As for the pineapple and ham toppings...that's not my idea of good eating. What's next, mini-marshmallows? :shudder:
Old 08-10-2003, 11:09 PM   #15
photocartoonist

I think I'd try anything on a pizza once! :-)

Kat