Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
LordBiO

Default Google AdSense

Just wanted to let everyone know that Google has now opened up their advertising network (AdSense) to almost any site now. Before it was limited to sites with 20 million impressions a day.

I just applied, so hopefully I will be able to add in Google related advertisements into my rotation. I think they are going to pay on a CPC basis rather then on a CPM basis like they did for the bigger sites.

Read the article on Yahoo to find out more: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tech_google_dc

And you can go to Google here:
https://www.google.com/adsense/
LordBiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
jnestor

The interesting part is that they don't tell you what percentage of the PPC revenue you'll be getting. It sure requires a lot of faith.

I'm a bit surprised that Overture hasn't followed suit yet. There were rumors about them getting into the same game but I haven't seen anything yet.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:49 PM   #3
VinceI

The interesting part is that they don't tell you what percentage of the PPC revenue you'll be getting. It sure requires a lot of faith.

I'm sure you get more specifics if you are approved.

I am curious if it will be a straight CPM fee like you can get now from these contextual ads if you get them from BurstMedia or Tribal Fusion, or they will take into account the click throughs they generate and how much people bid for the actual Google Adwords that appear in the ads.

And if you google will continue to deal with those ad companies. Or were they just offering ads through them to fine tune or troubleshoot the program...

I have run some of these types of ads and haven't always been happy with the quality of sites or their products. With the new program, it sounds like you can block specific ads and have more control over what is actually shown on your site. So that's a good thing.
VinceI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
georgec

AdSense is a CPC program from what it says in the description. This creates a delima for existing webmasters that already run such ads via Fastclick for example. The CPM may be low, but is it lower than going CPC instead, and for how long as the click-thru starts to drop?

I would only consider joining right now if Adsense offered more variety in the creative sizes, such as box ads, but it seems only premium members (20+ million pageviews) get this option.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:17 PM   #5
YongF

When I clicked the link to see more about the program:

https://www.google.com/adsense/

I just got a blank page saying the server could not be found.

One more interesting thing about the AdSense is that when I keyed in the "Google Adsense" and clicked the Search button, tons of links showing up, but the first few batch seemed not including the valid link of the ad network.
YongF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:44 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

YongF, I had the same trouble a few hours ago, with the page timing out while struggling to load its style sheet. But then Google never has responded particularly well from that location.

Giving it another go a while later (and trying to access the site with the http:// prefix instead of https://), the page appeared without hesitation.

Just give it another go in a few minutes...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:02 PM   #7
washjob

Their policies state "Other content-targeted and/or text-based ads on the pages displaying AdWords ads" may not be used.

1. Looks like you would have to drop Fastclick as they often carry Google ads. I would be reluctant to do that for an unknown payout from Google.

2. Looks like you can't use any text ads on pages with Google ads. I find text ads the most effective of all. Again l would not consider dropping text based ads for a unknown payout from Google.

Looks like they are a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Jerry @ Washington Employment Web
www.washjob.com
washjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:08 PM   #8
YongF

Czar,

Thanks for your clarification on this.

However, even we change the URL as you indicated in your last post as follow,

http://www.google.com/adsense/

It also gives me a jerk, just the same thing: the server could not be found of something.

Is me the only one who has been blocked from accessing the site?

:-(
YongF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:03 AM   #9
Jan

Administrator

I can access it okay. Just copied some text from the site.
Quote:
Google AdSense is for web publishers who want to make more revenue from advertising on their site while maintaining editorial quality. AdSense delivers text-based Google AdWords ads that are relevant to what your readers see on your pages — and Google pays you.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:34 AM   #10
AhmedF

they had messed up their CSS so that IE was not displaying it fine ... it should be fine now.
AhmedF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:40 AM   #11
Jan

Administrator

I guess Netscape has some benefits after all
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 02:22 AM   #12
The Dude

It still didn't work in IE, but it worked fine in Opera.

I wonder if these can be serverd as burst! media defaults. Does anyone know if the system still works when served in an Iframe?
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:23 PM   #13
PistolPete

Default Google AdSense

I applied to the Google AdSense program this morning and received my acceptance e-mail this evening.

I would like to know if anyone else has been accepted into this program, and if so, how are things going?

Best regards,

Peter
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:07 PM   #14
JFS

it's working fine with IE

1. How much will I earn through this program?
The AdWords ads you are able to display on your content pages are cost-per-click (CPC) ads. This means that advertisers pay only when users click on ads. You'll receive a portion of the amount paid for clicks on AdWords ads on your website. Although we don't disclose the exact revenue share, our goal is to enable publishers to make as much or more than they could with other advertising networks. We'll send you a check in US dollars for your account balance each month that your earnings amount to $100

4. When do I get paid?
Google will mail you a check within 30 days after the end of each month that Google AdWords ads are running on your site if your earned balance is US $100 or more. If your account balance is less than $100, we'll send you a check at the end of the first month after your balance reaches $100. Additionally, we will pay out all accounts at the end of each year, regardless of account balance.

they seem ok but only to large sites :|
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 11:09 PM   #15
LordBiO

I applied yesterday and still not gotten any response from them. I am guessing they did not accept my site then if you already got in.
LordBiO is offline   Reply With Quote