Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2000, 08:50 AM   #1
anton

Unhappy credit card fraud ?

Hello ,

I'm looking in to openning a shopping site , where I will accept credit cards , but as I heard there a lot of CC fraud going on , so , my question , if somebody will buy something not on his CC and then , the owner of cc will require his money back ... what should I do then ?

Thank you,
bye.

------------------
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2000, 11:03 PM   #2
KHN
Member.

Unhappy

I'm wondering the same too, I'm planing to make a a membership site that accept credit cards. With one of those CC service site. What happen if it's a fruad?? But then again, i could delete the member.

------------------
KHN
www.thefreeguide.com - Free Stuff and Webmaster Resources!!
www.totalclipart.com - Your #1 Source to Free Clip Art Sites!!

[This message has been edited by KHN (edited 09-17-2000).]
KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2000, 11:50 PM   #3
DJ_B

Unhappy

I think the problem is not as wide spread as everyone thinks. I have made many purchases over the internet and never had any problems. A friend of mine had their CC information stolen (not through the internet) without her even knowing. Mastercard found out about this fraud some how, and a couple days after some fraudgelent purchases were made the credit card was cancelled. Mastercard covered all $3000 + that was spent, and immediately issued her a new card. She was charged not a penny.
I believe most major credit cards have a policy of holding the client responsible for no more than $200 on any fraudelent purchases. Not 100% sure of this but you can double check.
IMHO I really doubt you will have a problem though.
DJ_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2000, 06:29 AM   #4
anton

Unhappy

2DJ_B :

yes, MasterCard returned her those $3,000 , but MasterCard itself won't be able to refund all of fraudent money ... so the MasterCard will go to a merchant and will require a chargeback ;( ... and now what will merchant do ? ... well , little shop will be out of business very soon ;( ...

------------------
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2000, 09:41 AM   #5
DJ_B

Unhappy

Oh, I see I see said the blind man...that makes since...lucky they weren't little shops but rather Alaska Airlines, and Circus Circus http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
DJ_B is offline   Reply With Quote